VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 02:30:37 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pimento Cheese Spread  (Read 16684 times)
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: May 15, 2011, 01:54:10 EDT »

Wife was making this recipe for a bridal shower, and I love it so much I thought I would share:

-Block of Velveeta cheese (if you like it spicy, I believe Velveeta has a jalepeno offering which I've never tried but sounds like it'd be good)
-2 large jars of diced pimento (at our grocery, there are two jar sizes available.. the large is about 4oz)
-1/2 cup of mayonnaise
-5oz can of evaporated milk
-2tsp Vegetable Oil
-4-5 tsp sugar (depending on your liking)

Melt cheese, stir in pimento, then add the rest.  Best if refrigerated overnight.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 01:56:45 EDT by VinnieVOL » Logged
VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 09:21:25 EDT »

Uhhhhhh....both my grandmothers are turning in their graves and my mother's head would explode if she read this.    I don't think I've ever heard if vegetable oil in pimento cheese....or velveeta.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 10:43:08 EDT »

Try it, then tell me it doesn't belong.  :-D
Stogie Vol
Admins
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 07:28:30 EDT »

It's good stuff! If it tastes good...eat it.
GreggO
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 05:18:02 EDT »

I haven't made any in quite a while, but here's what I do:

Grate a pile of cheddar right off the block of cheese. (Keep it loose)

Use a small jar of pimentos; I usually rinse mine with warm water and dry w/paper towel. (dump in my hand to rinse, throw on towel).

Mayo. I'm fond of Hellman's and Duke's. Using light? I'll go with Miracle Whip. (add a little at a time. here's your oil component)

Chop some green olives, black olives or kalamata olives, even roasted red bell peppers and throw them in there (a good salt component with the olives). Green onions if you like, too.

Hot sauce, a few dashes. Keep that tobasco stuff to yourself and give me Louisiana-style hot stuff!!! A splash of worcestershire, maybe? Face it; tobasco tastes like, well tobasco. It's too distinctive and you know it as soon as you taste it.

Fresh grated pepper

Additional salt if needed (none of the raincoat girl, iodized stuff allowed). Try grinding some sea salt, or use coarse salt with your motar and pestal to grind your own little pile to keep in a ramekin on the stove (one of the wonders of the world!). Or, even sprinkle in a dash of Old Bay (?)!

Slowly blend the above with the largest fork you have, a salad serving fork. Purpose? You want to coat the cheese and not clump it together. The tines on the large fork allows the grated cheese to slip through while still blending the ingredients. Do not over-work this, but blend well and cold cheese and mayo keeps the friction temp down to help avoid clumping. If you want some sass, use some sour cream, too instead of just all mayo (altough I'd strongly suggest light sour cream) starting with a little and add more to tase.

There are no set measurements needed at all as you will find what you like to blend if you follow using the ingredients above and add stuff in small amounts to begin with. A dab of dijon in there adds a twist. You can vary using different cheeses, or a blend and even add bread crumbs to the mixture to spoon over blanched vegetables and broil. This is something you can really expiriment with and easily come up with your own recipe that is uniquely you. Best of all, it's a pretty cheap to prepare!

Enjoy and I'd love to hear about your trials and tribulations!

G
EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 04:36:45 EDT »

Wife was making this recipe for a bridal shower, and I love it so much I thought I would share:

-Block of Velveeta cheese (if you like it spicy, I believe Velveeta has a jalepeno offering which I've never tried but sounds like it'd be good)
-2 large jars of diced pimento (at our grocery, there are two jar sizes available.. the large is about 4oz)
-1/2 cup of mayonnaise
-5oz can of evaporated milk
-2tsp Vegetable Oil
-4-5 tsp sugar (depending on your liking)

Melt cheese, stir in pimento, then add the rest.  Best if refrigerated overnight.

OK I have to weigh in on the great pimento cheese debate since I am sort of a chef at times.

I make a pimento cheese that is for use on sandwiches or in burgers in the middle of the burger.  THis is my recipe after several trials and tribulations. 

2 Boxes Kraft Velvetta Cheese
6 Jars of Pimentos
4 Cups of Sharp Cheddar Finely Shredded (not the coarse shred)
1/2 to 3/4 cup Miracle Whip
Pepper and Salt to taste

Cut the Velvetta into chunks and pulse in your food processor with about 1/2 jar of pimentos for each load of velvetta.  You should end up with about half a jar of the pimentos remaining to be used just like they are from the jar.  Before putting the pimentos in drain off some of the oil/water that the pimentos are packed in but do not dry them.  After the velvetta is a small dice place into a large bowl.  Do this with the rest of the velvetta and pimentos.  Add the remaining drained pimentos and the cheddar into the bowl and add the miracle whip, salt, and pepper and mix with a large fork.  This is a very easy pimento cheese and the one i like to fix during the summer since it is quick and easy.

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

VOLentine
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 05:09:39 EDT »

Here's a good recipe for all y'all Velveeta haters. Or, you can do what I do--go to Bi-Lo and get a tub of Palmetto Cheese from the deli! 

Spicy Pimiento Cheese
8 ounce Extra sharp cheddar cheese; shredded, at room temperature
3 ounce Cream cheese; at room temperature
4 ounce Pimiento; drained
2 tablespoons Mayonnaise
1/8 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Pepper
1/2 teaspoon Garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon Sugar (optional)
1/2 teaspoon Vinegar (optional)
Combine all ingredients with a mixer or in a food processor. Taste for seasoning.

UT Mom
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 01:12:17 EDT »

They all sound good except for the hot things.  I don't do hot .

XHotlanta
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 06:28:44 EDT »

OK I have to weigh in on the great pimento cheese debate since I am sort of a chef at times.

I make a pimento cheese that is for use on sandwiches or in burgers in the middle of the burger.  THis is my recipe after several trials and tribulations. 

2 Boxes Kraft Velvetta Cheese
6 Jars of Pimentos
4 Cups of Sharp Cheddar Finely Shredded (not the coarse shred)
1/2 to 3/4 cup Miracle Whip
Pepper and Salt to taste

Cut the Velvetta into chunks and pulse in your food processor with about 1/2 jar of pimentos for each load of velvetta.  You should end up with about half a jar of the pimentos remaining to be used just like they are from the jar.  Before putting the pimentos in drain off some of the oil/water that the pimentos are packed in but do not dry them.  After the velvetta is a small dice place into a large bowl.  Do this with the rest of the velvetta and pimentos.  Add the remaining drained pimentos and the cheddar into the bowl and add the miracle whip, salt, and pepper and mix with a large fork.  This is a very easy pimento cheese and the one i like to fix during the summer since it is quick and easy.

Emeril, I assume you have compared / contrasted Miracle Whip with a good Mayo ... is there a reason for the M.W.?  Just for the lighter fat content?  Better taste?  Blends better?    Just curious.
UT Mom
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 10:42:36 EDT »

From a ladies point of view,  I buy mine at Krogers.

EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 04:54:43 EDT »

Emeril, I assume you have compared / contrasted Miracle Whip with a good Mayo ... is there a reason for the M.W.?  Just for the lighter fat content?  Better taste?  Blends better?    Just curious.

I prefer the taste of Miracle Whip and think it is lighter and produces a much better pimento cheese due to the lightness factor. 

I do make my own mayo and add some spices but I just prefer the lighter Miracle Whip than regualr mayo........

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: