VTTW Board Index
April 26, 2024, 08:33:32 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Miami red light camera nabs funeral procession  (Read 5043 times)
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: July 13, 2011, 08:00:33 EDT »

And if that's not bad enough, their appeal is denied!

http://www.wsvn.com/features/articles/helpmehoward/MI92368/
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 08:26:51 EDT »

At least the city corrected the camera company's mistakes. But those ScamCams are nothing but a ripoff in general.

I have boycotted the city of Oak Ridge after getting a ticket from one of their speed cameras. I still drive through when I have to, but I make sure to stop and fill up with gas or eat lunch before I enter the city limits. I didn't have a choice but to pay the $50, but they've already lost more than $50 in tax revenue from me.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 12:01:32 EDT »

I've been nabbed once, at Cedar Bluff in West Kville.. it was late, nobody on the roads, and we had just left the hospital where my Mom was recovering from knee replacement surgery.  My screaming 1 yr old nephew was in the backseat going nuts and the wife was leaning over to the backseat tending to him.. I'm doing my best to watch the road but I'm obviously distracted at being not used to dealing with screaming living things in the backseat.  All of a sudden I see flashes and slowly realize what just happened.

When I get the ticket in the mail, a link is include where I can go online and watch my transgression.  The light was red for TWELVE SECONDS before I passed under, then when the lights flashed on the video you see my car screech to a halt (as if I'm trying to stop and maybe backup and erase what just happened) before slowly pulling forward.

I'm lucky it was late and the roads were empty, but the wife still reminds me of that to this day.   
Quasi EVol
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 12:03:05 EDT »

At least the city corrected the camera company's mistakes. But those ScamCams are nothing but a ripoff in general.

I have boycotted the city of Oak Ridge after getting a ticket from one of their speed cameras. I still drive through when I have to, but I make sure to stop and fill up with gas or eat lunch before I enter the city limits. I didn't have a choice but to pay the $50, but they've already lost more than $50 in tax revenue from me.

A few months ago, my wife got a $50 ticket from one in Union City.  Since then, they've lost at least a thousand in sales revenue from me alone.  I know they're well within their rights to use them, but I'm also within my rights to shop elsewhere.  Their Goodyear plant has recently closed, so they'll probably set up a hundred of them to generate lost revenue.
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 12:49:34 EDT »

I know they're well within their rights to use them, but I'm also within my rights to shop elsewhere.

That's the way I see it, too. I know Oak Ridge won't miss the money I spend there, but my hope would be for others who are as perturbed about the speed cameras as I am to do the same thing. Then the business owners in Oak Ridge might sit up, take notice, and demand that the city council take down the cameras.

If I deserve a speeding ticket, then fine. My beef with the Oak Ridge deal was that my wife (who was ticketed, not I) was going 4 mph over the speed limit. An actual police officer isn't even going to pull you over for 4 mph over the speed limit. THP usually allows about 12 mph over and most towns I'm familiar with have a similar leniency. They can preach that it's about safety instead of revenue all they want. I'm not buying it. I would think that if I were mayor of a town like Oak Ridge, which is quickly becoming a bedroom community as West Knox/Farragut and even Clinton takes its business away, I would be going out of my way to avoid inconveniencing out-of-towners passing through my community rather than writing citations for something as piddly as driving 4 mph too fast. But if the stories I hear about the folks in charge on the city council and chamber of commerce in Oak Ridge are correct, they'd probably be satisfied with building a moat around the town and returning to the 1940s.
GreggO
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 07:14:52 EDT »

That's the way I see it, too. I know Oak Ridge won't miss the money I spend there, but my hope would be for others who are as perturbed about the speed cameras as I am to do the same thing. Then the business owners in Oak Ridge might sit up, take notice, and demand that the city council take down the cameras.

If I deserve a speeding ticket, then fine. My beef with the Oak Ridge deal was that my wife (who was ticketed, not I) was going 4 mph over the speed limit. An actual police officer isn't even going to pull you over for 4 mph over the speed limit. THP usually allows about 12 mph over and most towns I'm familiar with have a similar leniency. They can preach that it's about safety instead of revenue all they want. I'm not buying it. I would think that if I were mayor of a town like Oak Ridge, which is quickly becoming a bedroom community as West Knox/Farragut and even Clinton takes its business away, I would be going out of my way to avoid inconveniencing out-of-towners passing through my community rather than writing citations for something as piddly as driving 4 mph too fast. But if the stories I hear about the folks in charge on the city council and chamber of commerce in Oak Ridge are correct, they'd probably be satisfied with building a moat around the town and returning to the 1940s.

I got nailed by a red light/right turn camera on Kingston Pike by West Town mall. There was that link to review the video of the turn and I had actually remembered it because I was leaving my allergist's office that day. I had to watch the video 4 times to even agree that there was a possibility I might not have come to a complete stop, scratched my a**, and washed my windsheild. After a dozen views I couldn't tell who was correct and paid the dang $50! I'm 55 and I've never had a traffic conviction in 40 years because I knew I was correct with two prior tickets (oops, yes I did in 2006 in Ashville when I was convicted of going 62 in a 60 on a Trooper Troutman speeding ticket and he didn't get me with radar or pace my car. He just looked at me coming up behind his unmarked and wrote me for 75 in a 60. He was pretty dang close of course, but there still was no evidence and he didn't even show for court and I was still charged a $150 fine plus costs! I ain't counting that rip-off and there were no points or recording of the case.)

Everybody knows these things are money-makers and to any government official who denies it is, in my book, a liar. They claim all these intersections are dangerous, but I've driven through most all of the desiganted intersections in Knoxville a 100 times and never saw a cop watching any of them to protect me from all this danger prior to/or after the cameras!

I cannot understand how a car owner can be charged/fined for something they didn't do. There is no way to tell who is driving when the alleged violation occured. Pisses me off! Bad.

G
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 07:20:18 EDT by GreggO » Logged
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 10:18:39 EDT »

I attended a party this past New Year's Eve on the other side of town.  It was in MADISON, which will mean something to local drivers.   

I got stopped on one of the local 4-lanes as I was turning left in a lane that ONLY turned left (a T-intersection with TWO left turn lanes).   I had seen the officer approaching me in the opposite lane and also saw him pull up behind me at the light.

He pulled me over after I turned left.  I need to add the detail that it was POURING DOWN RAIN.  He asked for my registration and I could not find it and he stood there and got soaked.  Then he went back to his car.

He then wrote me THREE TICKETS.  One for not having my registration, one for "failure to dim high beams" and one for "failure to use turn signal" as I executed the left turn (in a lane that ONLY turned left!!!).

Let me add that I had been at a Church party, and had not HAD A DROP of alcohol, and was proud to tell him so.

It was immediately obvious that he was simply pissed that he had to stand out in the rain early in the AM of New Year's Day (about 12:15 AM to be exact...it was a CHURCH PARTY, lol, everyone went home right after New Year's.) and was taking it out on me.

I disputed all three tickets.  First, on the registration, it's standard that you simply show up on the court date, show them your replacement registration (which is free at the courthouse) and they dismiss the charge.  Let me say though, that he had radioed in my license plate and KNEW my registration was okay!  This law is a relic of a bygone era and should be modified, IMO.  But whatever, either way it was no big deal.

On the failure to dim it was written on a four-lane road in POURING RAIN and I felt the high beams were necessary to even see the road!   This one was fun.  I actually bothered to read the law, and there was a LEGAL DEFINITION of what high beams constitute in the state of Alabama. Specifically, your lights have to illuminate something no less than TWO HUNDRED FIFTY FEET down the road in NORMAL ATMOSPHERIC CONDITIONS and IN TOTAL DARKNESS.  The place where the ticket was written had VERY BRIGHT STREET LIGHTS and it was POURING DOWN RAIN!   Furthermore, I had been involved in an accident in November (FTR, not one that was my fault  ). Someone pulled out in front of me when they should not have and I hit them (forutnately at a low speed), but my point is that there had been work on my car in early December at a body shop, and MY BRIGHT LIGHTS WERE NOT EVEN ADJUSTED properly.  LOL!  There are actually bubble levels on the headlights themselves that showed they were pointed way too far at the gound.  I even took my car out and tested it, and the high beams only went about 150 feet.  It was a SLAM DUNK.  That one was dismissed.

As for the turn signal, I thought I DID use one.  But even if I had not, I was prepared to argue that I didn't need one under the circumstances (no where to go but to the left!).  The officer stated that he had video evidence, so I asked to see it, and if it had showed that I did NOT use my turn signal then I *probably* wasn't going to fiight it (I doubt the judge would buy the "didn't really need it" argument, no matter how true it was).   Plus, the prosecutor had the other two tix to use as leverage.  He offered defensive driving for the turn signal and outright dismissal of the other two.  I took it.

I might not have bothered with the defensive driving, but I am looking for a new car and don't want my rates spiking up.

Okay this is very long...sorry for that, but it was complicated.  But here is what I think.  THe cop was an ahole abusing his authority, and I have HONESTLY thought about suing him AND the City of Madison for violating my Constitutional rights.  There is in fact an Amendment that says we are not to be subject to "unreasonable search and siezure".  I think the officer was VERY unreasonable.  I could decide to be unreasonable and SUE THEIR ASSES OFF.  So far I have not, but I am keeping my options open.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2011, 11:48:40 EDT »

Good for you, Bandit.  More Americans need to stand up for their rights even when it's inconvenient.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: