VTTW Board Index
April 20, 2024, 08:16:35 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thamel has an interesting story on NCAA vs. Auburn  (Read 11797 times)
BigOrange Maniac
« on: July 14, 2011, 02:25:12 EDT »

Looks like the NCAA isn't done yet:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/14/sports/ncaafootball/ncaas-investigation-of-auburn-isnt-over-yet.html?_r=1

Julie Roe Lach, the N.C.A.A.’s vice president for enforcement, made a presentation to the group, which included every men’s basketball coach, football coach and athletic director in the conference. When she opened up the room for discussion, Auburn’s football coach, Gene Chizik, raised his hand first.

He peppered Roe Lach with a flurry of questions about the N.C.A.A.’s investigation into Cam Newton and why the N.C.A.A. had not publicly announced that the investigation was over. Chizik complained that the inquiry’s open-ended nature had hurt Auburn’s recruiting and he followed up at least three times, leading to a testy exchange.

“You’ll know when we’re finished,” Roe Lach told Chizik, according to several coaches who were at the meeting. “And we’re not finished.”

As a side note, why does that peckerwood Kevin Stallings always turn up in the middle of everything? He's never been very good at minding his own business  and taking care of Vanderbilt.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 03:36:42 EDT »

What a freakin' baby.   
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 03:40:58 EDT by VinnieVOL » Logged
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 03:57:15 EDT »

What a freakin' baby.   

Assuming you're talking about Chizik, I think it's quite hilarious that he decided to confront the NCAA and wound up creating what may turn out to be another Auburn-is-under-investigation firestorm in the media just as fall practice is about to begin. Holy distractions, Batman!

(Have I said before that I think Auburn will be the next SEC football program on major probation? Yes. Yes, I think I have. But I will again.  )
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 05:07:36 EDT »

Assuming you're talking about Chizik

I was, most definitely. 
MIAUTIGER
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 04:47:50 EDT »

What a freakin' baby.   

Let's paint the picture in Orange and White, shall we? UT was under an investigation, with no wrong-doing proven and no LOI forthcoming. But the investigation is open-ended, and no communication from the NCAA on any time lines or expectations on when it will be concluded. And because of that, it is affecting the football program, both in recruiting and in day-to-day operations.

How do you expect your football coach to handle such a situation? Say nothing? Do nothing? Ask nothing? Why is he a baby for taking the opportunity to ask an NCAA rep about when they will be done?

Bammer suxes! That is all!
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 04:54:21 EDT »

The way I looked at it was it was one of those quit poking the bear moments. It may not have been smart to agitate the ncaa guy. Everybody has some dirt somewhere.

Let's paint the picture in Orange and White, shall we? UT was under an investigation, with no wrong-doing proven and no LOI forthcoming. But the investigation is open-ended, and no communication from the NCAA on any time lines or expectations on when it will be concluded. And because of that, it is affecting the football program, both in recruiting and in day-to-day operations.

How do you expect your football coach to handle such a situation? Say nothing? Do nothing? Ask nothing? Why is he a baby for taking the opportunity to ask an NCAA rep about when they will be done?
MIAUTIGER
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 05:25:59 EDT »

The way I looked at it was it was one of those quit poking the bear moments. It may not have been smart to agitate the ncaa guy. Everybody has some dirt somewhere.

You're such a sexist  (it was an NCAA girl).  But I understand your point of view, at least.  And I doubt the exchange was as heated as what was 'reported' by Pete 'If I Don't Get My Way, I Will Keep Writing shizzle Until Something Sticks' Thamel.  But I just don't understand the 'baby' comment.

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 07:07:19 EDT »

1) Gotta say anything Thamel writes I take with a sizeable amount of salt. He's got the uninformed muckraker thing down.

2) Chizik was dumb to poke the bear during meetings and Stallings wasn't too bright to be quoted. The former should have known better, and the latter may have an issue keeping his mouth shut. 

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 09:13:06 EDT »

Let's paint the picture in Orange and White, shall we?

But it's not Orange and White, and that's why Vinnie feels the way he does. Saying "How would you feel if it were your guy" invalidates the whole thing because we don't have any empathy in this league.

FWIW Dooley has also complained about the NCAA investigation hurting UT's recruiting, it just didn't receive as much pub and therefore isn't going to enter into any Vol's thought process.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
MIAUTIGER
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 09:33:07 EDT »

But it's not Orange and White, and that's why Vinnie feels the way he does. Saying "How would you feel if it were your guy" invalidates the whole thing because we don't have any empathy in this league.

FWIW Dooley has also complained about the NCAA investigation hurting UT's recruiting, it just didn't receive as much pub and therefore isn't going to enter into any Vol's thought process.

OK.....so no challenges allowed?

EDIT: After rereading my post, it comes across a bit harsh; not my intention, FWIW.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 09:52:56 EDT by MIAUTIGER » Logged

BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2011, 09:41:53 EDT »

But there's a significant difference in a coach making general statements about the NCAA process to reporters and a coach directly challenging an NCAA chief in a room full of other coaches.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2011, 09:43:58 EDT »

Under who's regime did Aub's investigation begin, again?
MIAUTIGER
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2011, 09:54:20 EDT »

Not following you on that point. I still don't understand the "baby" comment. I will drop it, though.

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2011, 09:56:12 EDT »

OK.....so no challenges allowed?

EDIT: After rereading my post, it comes across a bit harsh; not my intention, FWIW.

I didn't think your post was harsh and I wasn't trying to smack you down. If you want to challenge someone's post, feel free, as long as you follow our rules, which you did from my view. I was just saying that challenging the groupthink on a rival board is a frustrating exercise in futility and nobody knows that better than me.

One of the things I hate about running a board is that everyone tends to think every time I get involved in a thread like this that I am moderating. I don't really moderate anymore anyway. There are only about 25 of us who post regularly anyway. 

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2011, 09:57:33 EDT »

But there's a significant difference in a coach making general statements about the NCAA process to reporters and a coach directly challenging an NCAA chief in a room full of other coaches.

Of course it's significant. I was using the Dooley example to try to remind MIAUTIGER that our guy had done it and that wouldn't change the way we felt about an AU guy.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2011, 10:00:23 EDT »

Just an honest question..  I would like to explain my "baby" comment but I want to make sure I have all the info.
MIAUTIGER
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2011, 10:13:31 EDT »

Of course it's significant. I was using the Dooley example to try to remind MIAUTIGER that our guy had done it and that wouldn't change the way we felt about an AU guy.

Yeah, but I like your guy. And I want you to like my guy. Because things are brighter and sunnier that way. And we can work together to enhance our evil mojo against the bammer nation that way. My enemy, your enemy, God's enemy.

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2011, 10:29:35 EDT »

Yeah, but I like your guy. And I want you to like my guy. Because things are brighter and sunnier that way. And we can work together to enhance our evil mojo against the bammer nation that way. My enemy, your enemy, God's enemy.

I have always liked Auburn and still do. I've about had my fill of Trooper Taylor though.

There is a perception in the UT fan base that Auburn's coaches are slimy and stealing recruits from UT. Not saying that's accurate but it's definitely out there. And that's why UT fans are starting to really hate AU. Perception is reality in many cases.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2011, 10:44:57 EDT »

Well I didn't think it would be that difficult of a question for an Aubie to answer, so I did some quick googling and it does appear that Auburn came under investigation (the latest round, anyway) during Chizik's regime.

Now, you go out and try to find a UT fan that thinks we don't deserve being "eyed" by the NCAA after all of Kiffin's shenanigans.  Reasonable fans I know felt dirty at the time and still do.  While he was here, when and if Kiffin would complain about how the NCAA taking a look into his backyard is not fair.. I personally would find that hilarious.  Why?  He brought it on himself.  Now I'm not comparing UT's violations to AUB's alleged violations and I'm not comparing Kiffin to Chizik, I'm just giving you my opinion on the "White and Orange" picture you painted.  Chizik is responsible for the Aub ship at the end of the day.  And if the investigation began under his watch, I find it quite ironic that he is crying to the NCAA about how their investigation is inconveniencing him.  Cry me a river.

Dooley is an entirely different matter.  Dooley is having to play the hand he was dealt.  He knew what he was walking into, but he bears no responsibility for the things UT's fb program is feeling heat for.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2011, 10:00:21 EDT »

Well I didn't think it would be that difficult of a question for an Aubie to answer, so I did some quick googling and it does appear that Auburn came under investigation (the latest round, anyway) during Chizik's regime.

Now, you go out and try to find a UT fan that thinks we don't deserve being "eyed" by the NCAA after all of Kiffin's shenanigans.  Reasonable fans I know felt dirty at the time and still do.  While he was here, when and if Kiffin would complain about how the NCAA taking a look into his backyard is not fair.. I personally would find that hilarious.  Why?  He brought it on himself.  Now I'm not comparing UT's violations to AUB's alleged violations and I'm not comparing Kiffin to Chizik, I'm just giving you my opinion on the "White and Orange" picture you painted.  Chizik is responsible for the Aub ship at the end of the day.  And if the investigation began under his watch, I find it quite ironic that he is crying to the NCAA about how their investigation is inconveniencing him.  Cry me a river.

Dooley is an entirely different matter.  Dooley is having to play the hand he was dealt.  He knew what he was walking into, but he bears no responsibility for the things UT's fb program is feeling heat for.

Ive said it before, I'll say it again.  I think Kiffin to Chizik is a good, though imperfect analogy in terms of what a fan IMO should think or feel.  When Kiffin was here I supported him out of necessity.  But as each slimy accusation was made, I was reduced to HOPING that there was nothing to it.  The fan part of me said "either there is nothing here or it's relatively minor".  Meanwhile the objective part of my brain was really worried.

I am looking on from the outside, but if I was an Aubie, given all the crap that was around Cameron, his attitude, and the fact that he was the key to the success of my team, I would be VERY worried.  I might put a brave face on in public, but deep down inside I would feel that there was a high probablity that the other shoe would drop any day.  I would NOT feel good about it.

Thus I am a bit puzzled that Aubies would want to defend Chizik publically.  I never even attempted to defend kiffin's bs, I just wanted it to blow away.  In fairness, I did occassionally post that most of what came out about Kiffin was secondary or otherwise seemingly minor violations and I still think that.  But even then, there is that creeping feeling of dread that maybe the worst has yet to come out.  With Kiffin, who knows????

There is similarly a lot of smoke around Auburn.

But what I really want to know is, given the UNNATURAL SUCCESS of satan in ttown recruiting, why isnt there more attention  there?  The argument is that satan is simply a gifted recruiter.  BS.  I have heard very solid stories from local aubies about how the players are being bought and paid for by satan's minions.  There is plenty of smoke.  Maybe the NCAA just doesnt want to get sued again?  Or perhaps they are worried that some crazed bammers will come after them with guns.  Who knows.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: