VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 03:02:33 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ga. Tech 2009 ACC title is vacated......  (Read 6837 times)
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« on: July 15, 2011, 05:32:29 EDT »

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/6769894/ncaa-places-georgia-tech-yellow-jackets-four-years-probation

Unfortunately for the tiglets, they aren't declared the champs. What a shame.   
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 03:19:54 EDT »

Wow.  Just wow.  I think I speak for everyone when I say, "Georgia Tech won an ACC title?"

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 04:35:27 EDT »

At least one former player is speaking up, good for him:

http://ww2.ajcmobile.com/autojuice/?targetUrl=http://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-tech/tech-player-to-ncaa-1018244.html
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 04:55:17 EDT »

I'll say it again...I truly believe that one day the unversities with the big athletic programs will leave the NCAA and form their own association. It almost happened once before (or at least was bluffed) when Vince Dooley threatened them with the CFA, I believe it was called.

Then let's see how the NCAA operates when their cash cow is reduced to the have-nots, the Div. I-AA, oops sorry, the FCS and Division II and III.

I'm not for letting the cheaters get away with cheating. But the NCAA is abusive and power hungry.
101stDad
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 05:03:40 EDT »

I'll say it again...I truly believe that one day the unversities with the big athletic programs will leave the NCAA and form their own association. It almost happened once before (or at least was bluffed) when Vince Dooley threatened them with the CFA, I believe it was called.

Then let's see how the NCAA operates when their cash cow is reduced to the have-nots, the Div. I-AA, oops sorry, the FCS and Division II and III.

I'm not for letting the cheaters get away with cheating. But the NCAA is abusive and power hungry.

They can call it what they want, but it will still be D1-A and D1-AA. 

AS much as we hate it, there will always have to be an NCAAish organization in some shape, form, or fashion, super division or no.  A body of some sort has to be in charge - a necessary evil, if you will.  The key is getting the right persons in place to form that body. 
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 05:41:09 EDT »

Does this mean the ACC is an outlaw league? Somehow I'm thinking this story wasn't hyped quite as much as, oh say, any minor violation commited by an SEC member.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
101stDad
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 06:10:58 EDT »

Does this mean the ACC is an outlaw league? Somehow I'm thinking this story wasn't hyped quite as much as, oh say, any minor violation commited by an SEC member.

The SEC is always going to be front page news when issues arise with member schools because it is the most followed, most watched NCAA conference in the country.  The numbers in every significant category - from butts in the seats to television ratings to numbers of NFL players it produces produces to you name it - prove it to be.  With all that is good about the SEC, it has to expect the thorough anal eximanations that go along being the King of the Hill, thank you Hank Hill. 

It's better to be the best and take the negatives that go along with it, than it is to be an also ran like are the ACC and Big 10(actually 11)(soon to be 12). 
RipleyVol12
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 06:23:36 EDT »

When did Georgia Tech start playing football? lol

GO VOLS! 
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 07:20:40 EDT »

Agreed. Scrutiny beats being ignored.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2011, 03:48:37 EDT »

So I've read up on this situation, and apparently GT's AD Radakovich is in hot water with the NCAA because the NCAA told him they were coming to investigate his football program, and he committed the unpardonable sin of warning his coach beforehand.  Supposedly, we were set to hire him at UT before this all went down. 

Now, I'm not saying we should reconsider him as our AD (in fact, there are a LOT of others I like better, including our own David Blackburn), but what the hell did the COI expect him to do?  His paychecks say "Georgia Tech", not "NCAA".  If they didn't want GT to know they were coming, then why the hell did they tell their AD?  Did they really expect him NOT to look out for the best interests of his institution?  If our AD had knowledge of an upcoming investigation and didn't warn the coaches in question, I would want him gone. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: