VTTW Board Index
April 24, 2024, 08:48:54 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vols QB  (Read 9293 times)
RipleyVol12
Starter

View Profile
« on: July 15, 2011, 06:00:42 EDT »

Tyler Bray named to the preseason Davey O'Brien Award watch list. 

GO VOLS! 
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 06:10:17 EDT »

But the Athlon's Mag had a coach saying he wasn't very good at all.

I am confused. 
RipleyVol12
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 06:13:00 EDT »

how many Vols do we have on Preseason awards list because we arent that good. 

GO VOLS!   
101stDad
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 06:25:57 EDT »

At the risk of being a wet blanket, there are 38 quarterbacks out of the 120 eligible D1-A teams on that list - that's almost a third of the QBs in D1-A.

There are 64 names on the Chuck Bednarik Award Watch List, which Prentiss Wagner is on.

I'm not saying that those guys don't have potential, but just being on the "watch list" doesn't really put a player at an elite status. 

That said, I like Tyler Bray very much, but he's not the second coming of Peyton Manning.  He still has a lot of work to do both physically and mentally before he is considered an elite type QB.  He has a lot of potential, but he is far from being to the status that many are making him out to be at this point. 

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 06:42:28 EDT »

Lol, I think we all know what these watch lists mean, which is that a player has potential, I think we all understand that just fine.  No one said Bray is elite.  Its a heckuva lot better than the alternative. Being excited about having an offensive leader with potential is absolutely appropriate.   
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 06:44:23 EDT by VinnieVOL » Logged
101stDad
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 06:51:07 EDT »

Lol, I think we all know what these watch lists mean, which is that a player has potential, I think we all understand that just fine.  No one said Bray is elite.  Its a heckuva lot better than the alternative. Being excited about having an offensive leader with potential is absolutely appropriate.   

LOL at your LOL.   

To say "I think we all know what these watch lists mean" is being pretty presumptuous.  In reading some of the comments folks have made when these lists are published, I don't believe that many Vol fans, and fans of other schools as well, really understand how the awards process works for most of them.  The watch lists are pretty much meaningless. 
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 06:58:41 EDT »

In this case it is better to be watched than unwatched.

Prentiss is a good player and may really blossom this year being in the same system for 2 years in a row. Bray has potential but he scares me too. He can make all the throws and has the confidence to match. An essential quality for an SEC qb but dangerous if not reigned in properly. If he puts in the time and has the aptitude to transfer that knowledge to game day he could be really good. He has a feel in the pocket that you can't teach.

With all the bad news we have had over the last few years I am just excited to hear anything positive.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 07:07:10 EDT »

Lol, smh. By "we all" I meant this board, oh presumptuous one.  No way I would claim to speak for other online sports communities of which I'm not a part of. I've seen no one here waving the victory flags over these watch list or have I seen anyone annoint Bray as the next elite qb.  Heaven forbid we take joy in a bit of good news! 

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 07:24:24 EDT »

Vinnie may well have made at least one list, and I'm fairly certain my uncle was on another. They seem to include 5/8 of all males between 15-75.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 08:02:11 EDT »

In this case it is better to be watched than unwatched.

Precisely.

We all know these watch lists aren't worth a whole lot. But don't blame UT fans for getting excited about the fact that there's somebody out there somewhere who analyses college football for a living and who thinks Tyler Bray has the potential to be a good QB.

Jonathan Crompton didn't make the Davey O'Brien watch list. Nor did Simms last year. This is the first UT QB to be on the watch list since '07. It's worth mentioning.

What also makes it worth mentioning for UT fans is that Alabama, Florida, LSU, South Carolina, Auburn, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Vandy and Kentucky do not have a QB on the watch list.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 08:29:44 EDT »

Precisely at your precicely.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 08:53:00 EDT »

Precisely at your precicely.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 09:24:32 EDT »

More bad news, Poole is on the Doak Walker list.  This sucks.
http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2011/jul/15/poole-bray-named-walker-obrien-watch-lists/?partner=RSS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: