VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 08:08:11 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another commit  (Read 8942 times)
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« on: July 20, 2011, 03:58:28 EDT »

QB Nate Peterman from Fruit Cove FL has committed. He is 3 stars and had offers from Cincinnati, UConn, Vandy, and Wake Forest.

I need a "no emotion" emoticon.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 04:05:28 EDT »

Do want DT's.  Plzkthxbai.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 04:09:02 EDT »

Do want DT's.  Plzkthxbai.

DT's and LB's. Literally the rest of our class could be DTs and LBs plus one OL (Humpheries from NC) and I'd call it a day.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 04:24:33 EDT »

Is he a potential db? I assume Brewer and Jackson are gone after this year so that area may not be super loaded for the future. That having been said I'd like some front 7 guys.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 04:26:57 EDT »

Is he a potential db? I assume Brewer and Jackson are gone after this year so that area may not be super loaded for the future. That having been said I'd like some front 7 guys.

No, he's a pro style QB.

I don't think DB is a priority in this class. They signed a ton of DBs in last class and played a lot of young guys there last year. Gordon was a frosh, Waggner and Teague sophs, Byron Moore comes in from JUCO with 3 to play 3, plus they signed several HS guys.

101stDad
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 04:36:13 EDT »

No, he's a pro style QB.

I don't think DB is a priority in this class. They signed a ton of DBs in last class and played a lot of young guys there last year. Gordon was a frosh, Waggner and Teague sophs, Byron Moore comes in from JUCO with 3 to play 3, plus they signed several HS guys.

Plus they have offers out to a couple of DBs already, Knoxville Central's Cody Blanc being one of them. 

You are correct - we need big uglies and LBs. 
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 05:12:31 EDT »

O.k., I'm puzzled, especially since Byron Moore has 3 years left. It's possible Nash Nances leaves and obviously Simms will, but my thought is you can offer near the end to get a third QB. Oh well, I'll see how everything shakes out in February.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 05:21:04 EDT »

O.k., I'm puzzled, especially since Byron Moore has 3 years left. It's possible Nash Nances leaves and obviously Simms will, but my thought is you can offer near the end to get a third QB. Oh well, I'll see how everything shakes out in February.

Coaches can't and don't recruit that way though... they don't say we're taking 3 DBs now and a QB later. They identify who they want at all positions and offer who they want and take the commits as they come, based on how many spots they have available. Dooley has been obvious about taking one QB in this class.

101stDad
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011, 05:31:00 EDT »

Coaches can't and don't recruit that way though... they don't say we're taking 3 DBs now and a QB later. They identify who they want at all positions and offer who they want and take the commits as they come, based on how many spots they have available. Dooley has been obvious about taking one QB in this class.

Yep, you have to go out and get a quality QB pretty much every year.  With the potential for injuries, transfers, just plain flame outs, and academic busts, a program always has to have 4 or 5 QBs in the program. 

Besides, most prospects don't shy away from competition.  They believe in their minds that they are the best, hands down, and are going to beat out whoever might be in a particular program already.  If a prospect is afraid to compete then that tells one a lot about their makeup and perhaps it's best that he does go elsewhere. 
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2011, 05:32:06 EDT »

Now, that being said... I wish we were competing with better offer lists when we offer a QB. Most people in the recruiting services think this guy is underrated though. They must because usually that sort of offer list gets you two stars. Of course I trust the coaches at big schools more than the recruiting services too.

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2011, 05:34:49 EDT »

Yep, you have to go out and get a quality QB pretty much every year.  With the potential for injuries, transfers, just plain flame outs, and academic busts, a program always has to have 4 or 5 QBs in the program. 

Besides, most prospects don't shy away from competition.  They believe in their minds that they are the best, hands down, and are going to beat out whoever might be in a particular program already.  If a prospect is afraid to compete then that tells one a lot about their makeup and perhaps it's best that he does go elsewhere. 

This is true. Bray was also an underrated prospect. If he blows up this year as we hope, he's gone after 2012 on his way to the draft... you need guys who have been on campus and who are ready to step in. It's no coincidence that Tee won a NC as a first year starter after sitting behind Peyton for 2 years. We tried to foster the same thing with Joey Mathews and it didn't pan out, mostly because he was overrated.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2011, 05:46:31 EDT »

This is true. Bray was also an underrated prospect. If he blows up this year as we hope, he's gone after 2012 on his way to the draft...

That would be great, but I don't see it happening.  I don't mean to imply you thought it was likely, because I am pretty sure you did not, I just wanted to comment on Bray's prospects.

To which, given how incredibly soft the defenses were at the end of last year, I am still in wait and see mode.  In some of our games a HS D might have been more of a challenge.

Obviously I want him to do well, but my expectations are dialed down a notch.  Let's see if he can get it done against the gators in gtown and then I might be an optimist.

But at this point I think it highly unlikely he will ever be considered a prospect to go pro early.  I would LOVE for him to prove me wrong though.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2011, 05:58:01 EDT »

That would be great, but I don't see it happening.  I don't mean to imply you thought it was likely, because I am pretty sure you did not, I just wanted to comment on Bray's prospects.

To which, given how incredibly soft the defenses were at the end of last year, I am still in wait and see mode.  In some of our games a HS D might have been more of a challenge.

Obviously I want him to do well, but my expectations are dialed down a notch.  Let's see if he can get it done against the gators in gtown and then I might be an optimist.

But at this point I think it highly unlikely he will ever be considered a prospect to go pro early.  I would LOVE for him to prove me wrong though.   

Yeah... definitely don't think it's likely... just possible. Something that the coaches need to be prepared for.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2011, 09:49:47 EDT »

Now, that being said... I wish we were competing with better offer lists when we offer a QB. Most people in the recruiting services think this guy is underrated though. They must because usually that sort of offer list gets you two stars. Of course I trust the coaches at big schools more than the recruiting services too.

"Trust the coach" is an overused cliche when it comes to recruiting, but early returns on the Dooley regime suggest it may carry more weight with him.  A lot of those supposed "space fillers" that committed in the last two weeks after Kiffin left turned out to make some pretty significant contributions last year. 

When it came to getting max output from unheralded recruits, Tommy Tuberville was the best I've ever seen.  If Dooley can approach that level (and his first class is certainly a positive indicator), then we're going to be just fine.

101stDad
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2011, 10:01:57 EDT »

"Trust the coach" is an overused cliche when it comes to recruiting, but early returns on the Dooley regime suggest it may carry more weight with him. 

I tend to agree with you on this one.  I know for a fact that Dooley and his coaches are working harder than the last Fulmer staff (Kiffin's staff wasn't here long enough for me to make a statement either way on) did in it's last 4 or 5 years when it comes to working high school coaches and potential recruits.  They aren't just relying on star ratings from the recruiting services.  They are seeing more kids in person at their prospect camps and during allowable contact periods during high school spring practices than the previous staff did and doing a genuine job of trying to build relationships with the high school coaches.  Much of the previous staff seemed to only be interested in giving the high school coaches lip service instead of trying to build a real relationship with them.  In the end, that is what doomed them, in my opinion. 
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2011, 10:13:15 EDT »

Peterman looks great in the film I saw. Coaches must have really liked him at camp

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2011, 10:15:03 EDT »

Bray will be a top 10 pick if he continues to progress, AFTER THE 2012 season. There's already a mock draft in 2013 that has him as the #1 pick. He has the tools to do it.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2011, 05:28:57 EDT »

Bray will be a top 10 pick if he continues to progress, AFTER THE 2012 season. There's already a mock draft in 2013 that has him as the #1 pick. He has the tools to do it.

A 2013 draft projection?  LOL.  I think that proves my point more than anything.  Good grief, do you also believe tech analysis can actually predict future stock prices? 

Seriously though, I will believe Bray when he faces a level of defense somewhat higher than "vapor".

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: