VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 11:53:35 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: You have GOT to be fizzleing kidding me...  (Read 6195 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: July 23, 2011, 03:52:49 EDT »

I'm telling you, it's shizzle like this that will make me boycott NCAA sports altogether.  If we get hit harder than OSU, I will never attend another NCAA sporting event.  I'm dead serious.

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2011/07/22/ncaa-ohio-state-violations.html?sid=101

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 06:15:28 EDT »

No failure to monitor for Ohio state. They're not completely in the clear. We won't get that either.

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 09:37:56 EDT »

No failure to monitor for Ohio state. They're not completely in the clear. We won't get that either.

Huh? UT bball got a failure to monitor.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 02:19:34 EDT »

Kiffin was also charged with failure to monitor, though the football program itself wasn't.

I guess when you look at the specifics, there's a reason for that. And I don't think Tennessee's going to be punished any worse than Ohio State. But it really sucks that we have a system like this. Tennessee made impermissible phone calls and had impermissible contact with a recruit, and the program faces what are in some ways more serious charges than a program that has multiple players receive improper benefits and tried to cover it up so they could win a national championship with ineligible players...that's fair?

Also, why isn't the NCAA interested in pursuing the other things that have come to light, such as Pryor's improper benefits and all the other players that were allegedly involved in the memorabilia-for-ink scandal?

Btw, you're telling me that a program that committed literally HUNDREDS of secondary recruiting violations under Tressel isn't guilty of failing to monitor? Bullshizzle.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 02:57:36 EDT »

Kiffin was also charged with failure to monitor, though the football program itself wasn't.

I guess when you look at the specifics, there's a reason for that. And I don't think Tennessee's going to be punished any worse than Ohio State. But it really sucks that we have a system like this. Tennessee made impermissible phone calls and had impermissible contact with a recruit, and the program faces what are in some ways more serious charges than a program that has multiple players receive improper benefits and tried to cover it up so they could win a national championship with ineligible players...that's fair?

Also, why isn't the NCAA interested in pursuing the other things that have come to light, such as Pryor's improper benefits and all the other players that were allegedly involved in the memorabilia-for-ink scandal?

Btw, you're telling me that a program that committed literally HUNDREDS of secondary recruiting violations under Tressel isn't guilty of failing to monitor? Bullshizzle.

I would bet money that our basketball program gets at least a one year, and probably a two year postseason ban.  It sure doesn't sound like OSU will.  Different sports, I know, but it's still not exactly an apples-oranges comparison.  In our case, no competitive advantage was gained, and no extra benefits given (aside from a couple plates of ribs).  OSU's guys not only received extra benefits, but their coach lied and their institution staged a bogus "internal investigation" to keep them eligible for the postseason.  And the NCAA is really going to let them off the hook?  Seriously?

If OSU skates, this could be a tipping point for change.  And I don't just mean changing the NCAA's enforcement rules- I mean creating an alternative to the NCAA, if not dissolving it altogether.   The NCAA has chance here to change the widespread perception that they play favorites- and instead they appear to just be reinforcing that notion.  I think there are a lot of schools that aren't going to stand for that any longer.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 02:59:08 EDT »

I think this sums it up perfectly.

http://eye-on-collegefootball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/24156338/30798279

BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 03:36:28 EDT »

I'm taking a wait-and-see approach. It's a mockery of NCAA enforcement that tOSU isn't facing additional charges (I hadn't even heard about the school telling Tressel to destroy evidence), but I'm not going to get too worked up about it until we know what UT is facing. I don't think UT will get a postseason ban in basketball. If they do, and Ohio State doesn't, yes, it will be time for outrage.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 10:59:53 EDT »

Huh? UT bball got a failure to monitor.

I was talking about football

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2011, 12:26:19 EDT »

I was talking about football

We didn't deserve one for football. OSU's football situation was much worse than our basketball situation. They're going to get a wrist slap and it's bullshizzle.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2011, 12:40:35 EDT »

I'm taking a wait-and-see approach. It's a mockery of NCAA enforcement that tOSU isn't facing additional charges (I hadn't even heard about the school telling Tressel to destroy evidence), but I'm not going to get too worked up about it until we know what UT is facing. I don't think UT will get a postseason ban in basketball. If they do, and Ohio State doesn't, yes, it will be time for outrage.

History tells us that a postseason ban is almost automatic in FTM cases, which applies to our BB program.  Not that it will matter in a practical sense, because this team isn't going to make the postseason anyway.  Still, if we got slapped with FTM, there's no way in hell that OSU should skate on it.  Not with the mountain of evidence to the contrary. 

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 05:34:47 EDT »

We didn't deserve one for football. OSU's football situation was much worse than our basketball situation. They're going to get a wrist slap and it's bullshizzle.

Yeah, I am not disagreeing...just saying it's not over.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: