VTTW Board Index
April 26, 2024, 11:18:32 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another one bites the Dust  (Read 9990 times)
EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« on: July 25, 2011, 01:13:09 EDT »

Yep ole Urban "Flip Flop" Meyer is still paying dividends for the UF Program

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/gatorbytes/2011/07/24/report-matt-elam-cited-for-alcohol-possession-again/

Matt Elam arrested fopr UNDERAGE drinking for the second time in two years....right on Urbanator 1% of the top 1%

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

101stDad
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 02:10:37 EDT »

Not a good time to be pointing fingers.  That glass houses thing is definitely in play.     
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 03:07:42 EDT »

Coca-Cola and Cognac!  That alone should get him kicked off the team, if not out of school.  There just has to be a law against Coca-Cola and Cognac, that is just not right.

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 03:23:01 EDT »

Not a good time to be pointing fingers.  That glass houses thing is definitely in play.     

If you mean Austin Johnson, he was not underage, basically had an open container and was acting up. It won't amount to much.
CrossVol
Starter

Peyton in 2012!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 03:41:17 EDT »

If you mean Austin Johnson, he was not underage, basically had an open container and was acting up. It won't amount to much.

If this is the only incident this offseason, I consider it a great year.

Wherever you go, there you are.
101stDad
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 03:49:11 EDT »

Underaged or not, Johnson was D&D and potentially indangering himself and others. 

Both incidents involved players violating the law, and they were cited for it. 

I'm certainly no Croc fan, and I have no warm fuzzies for Corch Myers, but this is a glass houses thing. 
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 04:12:48 EDT »

Underaged or not, Johnson was D&D and potentially indangering himself and others. 

Both incidents involved players violating the law, and they were cited for it. 

I'm certainly no Croc fan, and I have no warm fuzzies for Corch Myers, but this is a glass houses thing. 

Agreed. Public intoxication and underage possession are very similar offenses.

Also I hear that there was a separate incident at the same bar involving some UT players and a bouncer but the police were not called.... nothing criminal but let's not all get on some sort of fake high horse about our players vs anyone else's.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 05:34:07 EDT »

The original post was about Meyer claiming he only recruits the top 1% of 1%. The arrest was in contrast to that statement. That's the only thing pointed out and I took it as a jab at Meyer, not UF. Dooley hasn't made any statement of the sort.

However, I do still see it as a glass house situation in some regard. We still have our troubles. ALL college football teams have their troubles.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 05:38:11 EDT »

The original post was about Meyer claiming he only recruits the top 1% of 1%. The arrest was in contrast to that statement. That's the only thing pointed out and I took it as a jab at Meyer, not UF. Dooley hasn't made any statement of the sort.

However, I do still see it as a glass house situation in some regard. We still have our troubles. ALL college football teams have their troubles.

Meyer isn't even there anymore.

Everybody has things about their own fanbase that bothers them and this is one of my particular hot-button issues, precisely because of what you say in your last three sentences.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 06:33:48 EDT »

But Meyer recruited Elam, did he not?  To me the joke still applies to anyone Meyer recruited and signed.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 07:04:30 EDT »

But Meyer recruited Elam, did he not?  To me the joke still applies to anyone Meyer recruited and signed.

What I see in this topic is good posters reaching for reasons to justify dumb smack talk. We are really going to act like we're focusing on Meyer's comment rather than the action of the player because THAT is what separates the two incidents? The comments of the coaches? LOL

Even if one wanted strictly wanted to poke fun at Meyer, today is a really bad day to do it. Preliminary reports make it sound like Johnson was way further out of line than Elam was. Had a UT player not been arrested last night, I would've stayed out of the topic entirely.

FWIW I don't think Johnson deserves more than a suspension for Montana so it's not that I think he's some sort of thug or anything.

Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2011, 07:04:59 EDT »

Meyer will always be a target for Vol fans because he coached the slimy crocs.  
EmerilVOL
Heisman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2011, 07:07:14 EDT »

All I was pointing out was that UF had ANOTHER player arrested that was from the Urbanator era at UF when he claimed he was going to recruit the top 1% of 1% in ability and character and how that this was like the 28th arrest of the exemplary recruits of Urban...not a slam on UF or any other thing like that.  Yes Austin Johnson got arrested for bieng drunk in Knoxville, but I do know that he was arrested more for violating the "open container" law and would not have been arrested it if had not been for the "open container".

EmerilVOL

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2011, 07:10:40 EDT »

All I was pointing out was that UF had ANOTHER player arrested that was from the Urbanator era at UF when he claimed he was going to recruit the top 1% of 1% in ability and character and how that this was like the 28th arrest of the exemplary recruits of Urban...not a slam on UF or any other thing like that.  Yes Austin Johnson got arrested for bieng drunk in Knoxville, but I do know that he was arrested more for violating the "open container" law and would not have been arrested it if had not been for the "open container".

I just think it's bad timing.

Austin Ward from the KNS says that Austin Johnson tried to fight someone (not sure if he was the aggressor) and was punching parked cars in the parking lot. If he was drunk and doing that he was going to get arrested no matter whether he had an open container or not.

Sorry, this is just my personal hangup and I find it impossible to let it go when people throw those rocks through those glass walls.

How about we just end this with me agreeing that Urban Meyer was really stupid to say what he said.

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2011, 07:13:58 EDT »

Austin Johnson detail:

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2011/jul/25/sp_johnson/

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2011, 07:23:04 EDT »

"Good posters".. You are so sweet!  :-D
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2011, 08:20:12 EDT »

I have a hard time criticizing stupid players on another team when our stupid players are doing basically the same thing. (Although I don't mind the Urban bashing)

However, this is something different. http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/6792998/alabama-crimson-tide-eyes-store-possible-infractions 
EmerilVOL
Heisman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2011, 08:49:59 EDT »

I just think it's bad timing.

Austin Ward from the KNS says that Austin Johnson tried to fight someone (not sure if he was the aggressor) and was punching parked cars in the parking lot. If he was drunk and doing that he was going to get arrested no matter whether he had an open container or not.

Sorry, this is just my personal hangup and I find it impossible to let it go when people throw those rocks through those glass walls.

How about we just end this with me agreeing that Urban Meyer was really stupid to say what he said.

No big deal man we all have those things going on.....and yeah I agree with ya that if Johnson was that agressive he would have been arrested.  I know several police officers and one called me earlier saying that Johnson was basically D&D and did not resist or anything like that. 

EmerilVOL

Quasi EVol
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2011, 09:42:09 EDT »

Since I'm a "good" poster  I'll let the NCOI describe Bammer:

A "serial repeat violator," with an "abysmal infractions track record" and an "extensive recent history of infractions cases unmatched by any other member institution in the NCAA.” 
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2011, 10:41:44 EDT »

Austin Johnson will probably be suspended one game. Probably the proper punishment.

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2011, 11:04:16 EDT »

Austin Johnson will probably be suspended one game. Probably the proper punishment.

I agree.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: