VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 08:01:10 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pearl and photo timeline.  (Read 3134 times)
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« on: July 26, 2011, 10:29:49 EDT »

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2011/jul/25/pearl-ut-delayed-info-on-photo/ 

No wonder our programs have suffered, out athletic department was dysfunctional.

Bruce Pearl's attorney said Monday that the former Tennessee basketball coach and his staff were made aware of a troublesome photo on the day of their 2010 interviews with the NCAA enforcement staff.

Mike Glazier, the outside counsel hired by UT, however, knew about the photo six days in advance, according to the university's official response to the NCAA's Notice of Allegations.

The photo, taken in September 2008, showed prospect Aaron Craft and Pearl during Craft's unofficial visit to Knoxville.
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 12:14:42 EDT »

I'll admit to not being fully aware of how the NCAA's proceedings work. But remember the GaTech AD may have ruined his career by clueing in his coaches that their programs were being investigated. It could be that UT's administrators and legal counsel weren't permitted to tell Pearl and his staff about the photo.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 03:43:58 EDT »

It really doesn't make any difference either way and it doesn't change what Pearl and company ultimately did, but it kind of bugs me that this was the photo that brought down everything Pearl had built from the ground up, the thing that had brought us so much joy and hope over the last six years and the first thing the NCAA said was "we apologize for the poor quality of this photo, but..."

I know, I know... all he had to do was was fess up, but it still bugs me.
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 05:34:15 EDT »

I'll admit to not being fully aware of how the NCAA's proceedings work. But remember the GaTech AD may have ruined his career by clueing in his coaches that their programs were being investigated. It could be that UT's administrators and legal counsel weren't permitted to tell Pearl and his staff about the photo.

If they told him the day of his questioning by the NCAA then why could they have not before hand. The result is the same......Pearl got the info before the interview. The whole thing stinks and the biggest stink of all was if he had fessed up that day we would not be having this conversation.
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 04:04:35 EDT »

If they told him the day of his questioning by the NCAA then why could they have not before hand. The result is the same......Pearl got the info before the interview. The whole thing stinks and the biggest stink of all was if he had fessed up that day we would not be having this conversation.

I don't think it's clear who told Pearl about the photo. The way I read it, UT's counsel may not have informed him and his staff about the photo at all. I read it as saying that Pearl and staff didn't know about the photo until it was presented during their interviews.

Obviously if UT could have informed them about the photo and didn't, that's another huge screw-up in a very screwed-up mess. One would have to assume that there's at least a possibility that things would have turned out much differently if they had known about the photo nearly a week in advance.

Of course, with that said, "panicking" is no real excuse for lying about it, though I will always maintain that a majority of Americans would have acted similarly and I think it's unfortunate that we have a system in place that allows an NCAA vendetta to bring down a coach's career.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: