VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 01:40:39 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: We have not beaten an SEC team not named UK or VU on the road since 2006  (Read 2807 times)
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« on: August 03, 2011, 07:20:39 EDT »

That's unbelievable and ridiculous.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 07:29:56 EDT »

That's unbelievable and ridiculous.

Actually make that we haven't beaten an SEC EAST team not named UK or VU on the road since 2006. We did beat Mississippi State at Starkville in 2007.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 07:53:54 EDT »

Actually make that we haven't beaten an SEC EAST team not named UK or VU on the road since 2006. We did beat Mississippi State at Starkville in 2007.

It's not surprising though. It would be hard to argue against the last 3 years being the worst stretch of UT football in at least 3 decades. 1976-78 were probably worse but I can't see a 3 year stretch since then that was comparable.

This is just symptomatic of the overall failure of the program in recent years. My approach lately is just to accept that and move forward. I heard Joey Kent on the radio at lunch and got pretty pumped thinking about his years on the Hill. I look forward to the future because I know at some point we will have great moments (like his 80-yard catch to open the 1995 Bammer game) again.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 08:32:53 EDT »

It's not surprising though. It would be hard to argue against the last 3 years being the worst stretch of UT football in at least 3 decades. 1976-78 were probably worse but I can't see a 3 year stretch since then that was comparable.

This is just symptomatic of the overall failure of the program in recent years. My approach lately is just to accept that and move forward. I heard Joey Kent on the radio at lunch and got pretty pumped thinking about his years on the Hill. I look forward to the future because I know at some point we will have great moments (like his 80-yard catch to open the 1995 Bammer game) again.

I think the upturn starts this season, it's just going to be a wild ride with so much youth.

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 08:45:24 EDT »

I think the upturn starts this season, it's just going to be a wild ride with so much youth.

I think so too. I'm counting Montana, Buffalo, MTSU, UK, and Vandy as probable wins, but I worry-- a lot-- about Cincinnati. It's early in the season and we will be relying a great deal on freshmen and sophomores, which means bumps, and on top of that Cincy has some good players. They rallied to within 2 points of Oklahoma last year despite a poor year overall, and the year before that their only loss was to UF in the Sugar Bowl. I know they're in the 2nd year under a new coach but this is absolutely a team that we can't overlook.

But even if we lose to Cincinnati, I think we knock off one of South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, LSU, or Arkansas to get the 6th or 7th win.

EDIT: FWIW, Ken Massey's rating system predicts 6.5 wins. I think the utility of such computer predictions is low, but it's as good a projection as any (and probably better than most). These are win probabilities:

Montana (95%)
Cincinnati (72%)
Florida (24%)
Buffalo (99%)
Georgia (48%)
LSU (26%)
Alabama (7%)
South Carolina (32%)
MTSU (95%)
Arkansas (12%)
Vandy (88%)
Kentucky (51%)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 08:53:15 EDT by Clockwork Orange » Logged

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: