VTTW Board Index
April 18, 2024, 06:00:12 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ben Martin may be  (Read 6293 times)
RIPLEYVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: August 03, 2011, 08:06:21 EDT »

getting ready to come back. Hope it's not a nasty rumor....sure could use him!
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 08:11:29 EDT »

I opened this post with dread.
RIPLEYVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 08:21:10 EDT »

Maybe he will make up for missing a year with a sec record in sacks!
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 08:32:15 EDT »

getting ready to come back. Hope it's not a nasty rumor....sure could use him!

He practiced yesterday in shorts, full speed.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 10:14:53 EDT »

He is back, but I am not expecting a lot, that is a tough injury to bounce back from.

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 11:46:20 EDT »

Is it logical to think he could get 5-10 snaps a game the first half of the season, and 15-20 the final games? I'd settle for that.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 03:22:38 EDT »

Is it logical to think he could get 5-10 snaps a game the first half of the season, and 15-20 the final games? I'd settle for that.

I think that this would be gravy.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 04:26:42 EDT »

How much can we expect out of Bohannon, Walls and Fowlkes?

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 04:27:49 EDT »

How much can we expect out of Bohannon, Walls and Fowlkes?

On the depth chart right now Bohannon is listed at #1 DE opposite Jacques Smith and he supposedly had a great offseason, but I read the other day on VQ that Walls was getting the first team reps ahead of Bohannon. Both of those guys will be in the first four.

Fowlkes is listed at 2nd team DE. I'm guessing he won't make much of an impact. It would be ideal if Martin could stay healthy and supplant him there. The hot name so far in camp is Trevaris Saulsberry... if he and Couch can be the third and fourth tackles with Malik Jackson and Hood (and Ayres providing depth) then we might see Corey Miller slide back out to DE.

Honestly, I think this team rises and falls with newcomers on defense and staying healthy. Offensively, we have enough to compete all over the field. Defensively, we need Couch, Saulsberry, AJ Johnson, Curt Maggit, Christian Harris, and Byron Moore to all be bigtime. I think we're really only two bodies away at DL but those freshman LBs are going to have to step up if we are going to exceed that 8 win expectation.

Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 05:07:22 EDT »

On the depth chart right now Bohannon is listed at #1 DE opposite Jacques Smith and he supposedly had a great offseason, but I read the other day on VQ that Walls was getting the first team reps ahead of Bohannon. Both of those guys will be in the first four.

Fowlkes is listed at 2nd team DE. I'm guessing he won't make much of an impact. It would be ideal if Martin could stay healthy and supplant him there. The hot name so far in camp is Trevaris Saulsberry... if he and Couch can be the third and fourth tackles with Malik Jackson and Hood (and Ayres providing depth) then we might see Corey Miller slide back out to DE.

Honestly, I think this team rises and falls with newcomers on defense and staying healthy. Offensively, we have enough to compete all over the field. Defensively, we need Couch, Saulsberry, AJ Johnson, Curt Maggit, Christian Harris, and Byron Moore to all be bigtime. I think we're really only two bodies away at DL but those freshman LBs are going to have to step up if we are going to exceed that 8 win expectation.

I would only make one change........I think we need those guys to step up to make 8 wins.  That means 4-4 in conference and that means we will have to slow down the run. Good DL play can make up for some mediocre LB play and vice versa but if they are both mediocre we will be in trouble again.  I looked at Saulberry's HS tape and he looks like he could be a good one.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 09:16:46 EDT »

I think we will play a lot of 4-2-5 this year with Brewer playing a hybrid LB/DB position.  But your point that the FR LBs need to step up is well taken.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 11:15:04 EDT »

I think we will play a lot of 4-2-5 this year with Brewer playing a hybrid LB/DB position.  But your point that the FR LBs need to step up is well taken.

I think so too but the problem is that with UF hiring Muschamp all four of our major rivals... UF, UGa, USCE, and Bammer... are now more traditional offensive teams who will run prostyle offenses. I think the 4-2-5 is the right way to defend the spread but I have visions of Trent Richardson pounding our undersized defense into submission in the 4th quarter.

Wilcox and Dooley are changing the mode on UT LBs. Maggitt, AJ Johnson, and Christian Harris are all bigger than all of the other LBs we have on campus.

Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 11:28:59 EDT »

I think so too but the problem is that with UF hiring Muschamp all four of our major rivals... UF, UGa, USCE, and Bammer... are now more traditional offensive teams who will run prostyle offenses. I think the 4-2-5 is the right way to defend the spread but I have visions of Trent Richardson pounding our undersized defense into submission in the 4th quarter.

Wilcox and Dooley are changing the mode on UT LBs. Maggitt, AJ Johnson, and Christian Harris are all bigger than all of the other LBs we have on campus.

That is why the offense has got to be strong this year. We can't we win a knockdown drag out game yet.  if we can put pressure on other teams to have to score (something we have not done the past 3 years) it changes the whole game for them. Bama will have a greener QB than we do.......if we can make him have to make plays..............who knows?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: