VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 06:43:27 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If you could change one play in your lifetime as a UT fan, what would it be?  (Read 22045 times)
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2011, 03:08:59 EDT »

06 UF game pick six called back for illegal hands to the face. We score there and have 2 or 3 score lead can't remember exactly and doesn't play for a NC that year.

GO VOLS! 

This one came to mind for me as well.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2011, 03:43:39 EDT »

06 UF game pick six called back for illegal hands to the face. We score there and have 2 or 3 score lead can't remember exactly and doesn't play for a NC that year.

GO VOLS! 

Good one.  That game let the Urban-Meyer-Tim-Tebow demon out of the bottle.

I would say 1990 block by bammer in Neyland.  Another one is Ainge's first int in 2007 to cost us the SECC.  We may still lose that game, but it would have been much tougher.  Cody's second block also sucks, and I don't care if bammer wins the MNC or not, I just wanted to beat them that day.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Mike
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2011, 03:58:49 EDT »

Stoerner.   
EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2011, 05:44:18 EDT »

Stoerner.   

Yeah and the PAC10 writers in dissing the SEC last couple of weeks ago were pointing to that play as Soerner was NOT TOUCHED.....he was your own plpayer stepped on his foot and tripped him......its your own dang fault so don't come a cryin on our shoulders......

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2011, 05:59:44 EDT »

1994 Little Man fumble vs Bammer on the 5(?) yd line.
10EC
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2011, 06:46:59 EDT »

I'm going to say the David Palmer 2pt conversion to tie.

This is mine.  Was watching on a battery operated portable TV in Atlanta while my wife drove us to a wedding of a friend of hers.  It was pouring the rain outside but I had to have the window cracked to get the antenna to get a signal.  Anyway, they score when she pulls up to the church.  She is like "get out of the car!!!"  I said, "no way, not until I see this play...... "

Who didn't know he was going to lkeep the ball and go right?? 
CrossVol
Starter

Peyton in 2012!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2011, 07:28:48 EDT »

I don't often read the volnation boards (though I do during camp to get practice info) but this thread starter was on there and I thought it was a great question. You can change only one play in UT history. Which play would it be, and why?

1985 if the VOLS make the field goal against gatech and win the game, and everything else remains the same, we win the NC that year (a good chance anyway).  That tie and the tie against UCLA that year were totally inexcusable, and did cost an NC.

Wherever you go, there you are.
Mike
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2011, 08:30:52 EDT »

Yeah and the PAC10 writers in dissing the SEC last couple of weeks ago were pointing to that play as Soerner was NOT TOUCHED.....he was your own plpayer stepped on his foot and tripped him......its your own dang fault so don't come a cryin on our shoulders......

yeah we knew, that was Burlsworth that stepped on him.  Shoulda gone shotgun, that's all i'm sayin
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2011, 09:44:31 EDT »

yeah we knew, that was Burlsworth that stepped on him.  Shoulda gone shotgun, that's all i'm sayin

Let's not forget that Burlsworth was pushed.  Can't recall who, but he was from Mississippi and later got injured, I think.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
japanvol
Special Teamer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2011, 10:37:00 EDT »

Everybody always forgets that UT should have been up 27-20
instead of down 24-22 with 2 minutes left in that game.
The refs blew the call when the Arkansas punter kicked the
ball through the end zone from the 2 yard line after the ball
was snapped over his head. Should have been UT's ball on
the Arkansas 2 yard line with just under 3 minutes left.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2011, 11:13:35 EDT »

Let's not forget that Burlsworth was pushed.  Can't recall who, but he was from Mississippi and later got injured, I think.

Billy Ratliffe from Magnolia Mississippi.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
3beans
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2011, 11:14:07 EDT »

Jerry Colquit blowing out his knee on the first play of the first game of the season at ucla.  After working for 5 years to get the start it was all taken from him.  I also think that team could of been a national contender if not for that.  Of course it ushered in the Peyton years so it wasn't a total loss.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2011, 11:17:02 EDT »

Jerry Colquit blowing out his knee on the first play of the first game of the season at ucla.  After working for 5 years to get the start it was all taken from him.  I also think that team could of been a national contender if not for that.  Of course it ushered in the Peyton years so it wasn't a total loss.

This is a good one. I have no doubt that we would've won the SEC in '94 with a healthy Colquitt.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2011, 11:54:36 EDT »

This is a good one. I have no doubt that we would've won the SEC in '94 with a healthy Colquitt.

I'm not so sure. Tennessee would've been better in '94 with Colquitt, no doubt...at least early on. By the end of the season, the offense was firing on all cylinders. I'm sure that UT would've beaten UCLA, Mississippi State and probably Alabama if Colquitt had been healthy. But I'm not sure Colquitt could've provided enough offensive spark to get UT by Florida. That was a pretty sound butt-kicking that UF provided at Neyland that year. And because their only other loss was to Auburn, a win over UF would've been a necessity to reach the SECCG.

It's funny, though, that '94 was always looked at as being a down year for UT. We stomped UGA, upset a ranked Washington State team, beat UK and Vandy like a drum, to the tune of 117-0 combined, and crushed VaTech in the Gator Bowl. But we "only" won 8 games. Now look at us.  
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2011, 11:59:36 EDT »

Another one that stands out, even though it doesn't rank anywhere towards the top, really, is Greg Burke's missed FG against Auburn in '90. We still tied them, so I guess that was something. But they were ranked No. 3 at the time and beating them would've been big. With no losses (and the tie to Colorado), UT was still very much in the national championship hunt at that point. As I recall, it was an easily makable field goal and he just missed it. I remember someone pelting him with a paper Gatorade cup as he walked back to the sideline.

That '90 team may have been the most disappointing nine-win team in UT history. Anytime you beat the No. 9 team in the country 45-3 you know you are good, and that team was good. Tied (and should've beaten) Colorado, then was a goal line interception away from beating Notre Dame...and Notre Dame went on to narrowly lose to Colorado in the bowl game for the MNC. That's the one time I felt like Tennessee had the MNC firmly within their grasp and shot themselves in the foot. You gotta wonder how differently the end of the Majors era would've turned out if it hadn't been for a missed FG, a blocked FG, and an end zone interception.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2011, 02:14:48 EDT »

I've mentioned this before, but what about Fulmer's decision to burn Tee Martin's redshirt in a blowout of Arkansas late in the '96 season?  

I know this is assuming a lot, but bear with me:

If Tee redshirts in '96, he still here in 2000.  We probably would've contended  for an SEC title with an experienced QB that year.  That also means Casey Clausen would've redshirted, which means...

Erik Ainge redshirts in 2004, isn't on the field to tear up his knee against ND, never gets hooked on painkillers, and doesn't suffer a sophomore slump in 2005.  He's also around for 2008, which means...

The Crompton disaster never happens.  Fulmer keeps his job in all likelyhood, which means...

The Kiffin disaster never happens.  We don't suffer the crippling attrition of the past few years, and we're not in hot water with the NCAA today (in football, anyway).  

All because of a horrible decision to get Tee some meaningless reps 15 years ago.  Is your mind now sufficiently blown?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 02:29:12 EDT by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2011, 02:51:22 EDT »

I've mentioned this before, but what about Fulmer's decision to burn Tee Martin's redshirt in a blowout of Arkansas late in the '96 season?  

If Tee redshirts in '96, he still here in 2000.  We probably would've contended  for an SEC title with an experienced QB that year.  That also means Casey Clausen would've redshirted, which means...

Erik Ainge redshirts in 2004, isn't on the field to tear up his knee against ND, never gets hooked on painkillers, and doesn't suffer a sophomore slump in 2005.  He's also around for 2008, which means...

The Crompton disaster never happens.  Fulmer keeps his job in all likelyhood, which means...

The Kiffin disaster never happens.  We don't suffer the crippling attrition of the past few years, and we're not in hot water with the NCAA today (in football, anyway).  

All because of a horrible decision to get Tee some meaningless reps 15 years ago.  Is your mind now sufficiently blown?

Wow.. all I have to say is... Ainge tore up his shoulder, not his knee.   
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2011, 02:58:36 EDT »

I KNEW there was a reason I don't like Fulmer. 
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2011, 05:26:03 EDT »

Billy Ratliffe from Magnolia Mississippi.

Yep.  What a great heart he had.  I still remember him on the sidelines in crutches with his helmet on, after the injury.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2011, 05:29:05 EDT »

One that should have occured to me earlier...in 2006 we stuff the CRAP out of Tebow on the fourth down conversion.  Not only does UF lose the game as a result, and not make the MNC, but Tebow's confidence suffers a blow and he mostly rides the pine the rest of the season.  He still has a great career, but UF falls short again in 2008 and we don't have to listen to three years of endless hype. 

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2011, 03:24:00 EDT »

I'm not so sure. Tennessee would've been better in '94 with Colquitt, no doubt...at least early on. By the end of the season, the offense was firing on all cylinders. I'm sure that UT would've beaten UCLA, Mississippi State and probably Alabama if Colquitt had been healthy. But I'm not sure Colquitt could've provided enough offensive spark to get UT by Florida. That was a pretty sound butt-kicking that UF provided at Neyland that year. And because their only other loss was to Auburn, a win over UF would've been a necessity to reach the SECCG.

It's funny, though, that '94 was always looked at as being a down year for UT. We stomped UGA, upset a ranked Washington State team, beat UK and Vandy like a drum, to the tune of 117-0 combined, and crushed VaTech in the Gator Bowl. But we "only" won 8 games. Now look at us.  

The butt kicking worse worse on paper than it was on the field. Our offense couldn't do anything and our D got worn down. I think it would've been a really close game with Colquitt. Based on your post I am adjusting my statement to "we would've been in the hunt" though... For some reason I always thought UF lost 2 SEC games that year, not 1.

RIPLEYVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2011, 05:26:01 EDT »

hiring lame kitten would be a big takeback!!
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2011, 04:15:14 EDT »

Speaking of Greg Burke, he not only had the kick against bammer blocked in 1990, AND missed a chip shot against Auburn, both leading to ties, but he also missed a FG against Colorado in the opener.  Make those three and we are unbeaten facing no. 1 Notre Dame later in the year, although we did lose that game 35-31.  Notre Dame lost to Colorado of all teams in the Orange Bowl, and Colorado with one loss and one tie ended up splitting the MNC with a one-loss Ga Tech that year.   If only....

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: