VTTW Board Index
April 23, 2024, 04:32:37 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Meyer vs Muschamp  (Read 7179 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: August 09, 2011, 04:33:02 EDT »

When FL hired Meyer, I was concerned, because I felt that he would be very successful there. he had the offensive background, and had really been the architect of some fine offensive teams. He ended up being more successful than I thought he'd be.

Muschamp - I don't get the same feeling. I get the impression that he's an overrated defensive coach who gets by on brawn and a lot of bravado, but I don't get the feeling he's going to be a good head coach.  I don't think he will mesh with Weis either. No, it's not wishful thinking - just the impression I have of what's going to happen there.

Anyone else feel this way?

EDIT: GOT the server msg twice trying to make this post. Third time's the charm!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 04:35:05 EDT by Volznut » Logged
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 04:38:13 EDT »

I'm a Muschamp fan and I think he will be successful there, but like you I wonder if he and Weis can work together. Weis has a huge ego.

Muschamp is still the guy that I wanted UT to hire both times we've hired head coaches.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 04:54:36 EDT »

When FL hired Meyer, I was concerned, because I felt that he would be very successful there. he had the offensive background, and had really been the architect of some fine offensive teams. He ended up being more successful than I thought he'd be.

Muschamp - I don't get the same feeling. I get the impression that he's an overrated defensive coach who gets by on brawn and a lot of bravado, but I don't get the feeling he's going to be a good head coach.  I don't think he will mesh with Weis either. No, it's not wishful thinking - just the impression I have of what's going to happen there.

Anyone else feel this way?

EDIT: GOT the server msg twice trying to make this post. Third time's the charm!
I agree with ReVOLver in that I think he will be successful.  Weiss can be a wild card but on the other hand I think he can be a very successful OC and he can develop QBs.  I know my gator friends are very pleased to date with what they have seen. 

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 05:33:16 EDT »

I'm with Revolver. I wanted Muschamp at UT because I thought he would make a good head coach. The fact that he's wearing that ugly Florida orange instead of beautiful TN orange doesn't change that fact. I also think hiring Weis was brilliant and if the two of them can get along, they could build a juggernaut that's even better than what Meyer had. (Meyer's teams were good...you don't win two NCs if they aren't...but take away Tebow and they aren't that great.)

OTOH, Muschamp's defenses at Texas weren't so special, so here's hoping his head coaching abilities are overrated.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 05:39:04 EDT »

I'm with Revolver. I wanted Muschamp at UT because I thought he would make a good head coach. The fact that he's wearing that ugly Florida orange instead of beautiful TN orange doesn't change that fact. I also think hiring Weis was brilliant and if the two of them can get along, they could build a juggernaut that's even better than what Meyer had. (Meyer's teams were good...you don't win two NCs if they aren't...but take away Tebow and they aren't that great.)

OTOH, Muschamp's defenses at Texas weren't so special, so here's hoping his head coaching abilities are overrated.

I don't think he's a surefire slam dunk success, but I think he's a good coach who might be a better organizer / CEO / Motivator than he was a DC.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 06:21:40 EDT »

I think Muschamp is a good coach and yes I did want him.. I just wonder how immediate the success with the transition to a pro style offense.  You've got an offensive roster that was recruited around Meyer's system, and (I think) UF will be running a pro style O.  I know I heard Muschamp say that Brantley will be under center much more. 

My point is, I'm not ready to write him off as a bust.. But Muschamp/Weiss does not make me pucker the way Meyer's offenses did.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 06:27:28 EDT »

I think Muschamp is a good coach and yes I did want him.. I just wonder how immediate the success with the transition to a pro style offense.  You've got an offensive roster that was recruited around Meyer's system, and (I think) UF will be running a pro style O.  I know I heard Muschamp say that Brantley will be under center much more. 

My point is, I'm not ready to write him off as a bust.. But Muschamp/Weiss does not make me pucker the way Meyer's offenses did.

It's funny. I am partial to a pro-style balanced offense, and if I were a coach I'd lean toward that. But at the same time that kind of offense for an opponent scares me less than the spread option or air raid or many other gimmicky styles. I am relieved that UF is going pro-style. Maybe it's just that familiarity makes it less scary.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

RipleyVol12
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 06:32:42 EDT »

Well I look at last season when they couldn't stop anybody on defense yes he's not the D-Coordinator anymore but still last year didn't make anyone happy in Texas. Weis well we all saw his last stint in College ball didn't turn out so well and if I remember correctly he was calling the plays then to.

GO VOLS! 
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 07:02:10 EDT »

It's funny. I am partial to a pro-style balanced offense, and if I were a coach I'd lean toward that. But at the same time that kind of offense for an opponent scares me less than the spread option or air raid or many other gimmicky styles. I am relieved that UF is going pro-style. Maybe it's just that familiarity makes it less scary.

Yes.. spread offense scares me to death.. especially with the speed Meyer had.
Mike
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 07:16:54 EDT »

Yes.. spread offense scares me to death.. especially with the speed Meyer had.

if Clint Conque ever lands a job with an SEC team someday, be afraid be very afraid.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 08:17:39 EDT »

I also think that UT fans were generally dismissive of Meyer as a small time coach who wouldn't be able to compete in the SEC when he was hired. I remember having those discussions here. I can't specifically say that Volznut had that view because I don't remember, but overall fans of all teams are dismissive of their rivals. If we had hired Muschamp and Weis, the Florida fans would be making fun of us hiring a coach that was unproven and an #badword# offensive coordinator.

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 08:19:47 EDT »

Well I look at last season when they couldn't stop anybody on defense yes he's not the D-Coordinator anymore but still last year didn't make anyone happy in Texas. Weis well we all saw his last stint in College ball didn't turn out so well and if I remember correctly he was calling the plays then to.

GO VOLS! 

Weis's problem at ND was the inability to recruit the kind of athlete that ND needed to win. He had good seasons with Willingham's players. Florida's staff will be good recruiters. I don't think Weis's future at UF hinges on his coaching ability at all. The guy knows offense. It hinges on Muschamp's ability to reel in players, and even a shizzlety recruiter at Florida should be able to get players.... and also hinges on whether Weis and Muschamp can coexist. If they can, they could be a strong tandem. But the jury is yet out.

LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 08:48:14 EDT »

doesn't bother me a bit to say that I was one of those who, when Urban Meyer was hired, thought that gimmick offense was about to be exposed by SEC defenses.  Obviously, I was wrong.  I do not like the man, think he is FOS and disingenuous, but his offense worked just as well at Florida because he was able (again giving him credit) to recruit to his needs as well or better than any coach in the SEC.

Muschamp did not have a gimmick defense, and truthfully, I was never overly impressed with Texas defense.  He is, however, a fiery guy with great press and people skills, and if he recruits as I expect he will given his base, he will do fine. 

I sure question his hiring mentality re Weis, I think there is going to be one messy ego crash down the road. 

My pronouns are:  I, Me, My, and Mine
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 09:32:58 EDT »

I think he can be successful but I question how quickly.   And more importantly ... how patient will Fla fans be?  LOL.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2011, 01:13:30 EDT »

I also think that UT fans were generally dismissive of Meyer as a small time coach who wouldn't be able to compete in the SEC when he was hired. I remember having those discussions here. I can't specifically say that Volznut had that view because I don't remember, but overall fans of all teams are dismissive of their rivals. If we had hired Muschamp and Weis, the Florida fans would be making fun of us hiring a coach that was unproven and an #badword# offensive coordinator.

Nope.... I specifically thought the opposite of Meyer and thought he would be a pain in our rear end.

I am somewhat dismissive of Muschamp though....FTR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: