VTTW Board Index
April 17, 2024, 12:36:27 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So for you gamers... in case you missed it on Facebook  (Read 4816 times)
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« on: August 10, 2011, 08:21:14 EDT »

I finished LA Noire last night... I bought it two weeks ago this past Monday.

Honestly probably the most gripping storyline of any game I've ever played. The gameplay was just so-so but like a good book I couldn't put it down.

It took me right at 22 hours to finish the main storyline plus DLC, with right at 70% overall sync. I didn't do most of the side missions.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 08:32:22 EDT »

I need to finish this game.  But I want to sit down and have hours to devote to it..  And something tells me that limitation will not subside anytime soon.
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 08:57:25 EDT »

I gave my copy away. I thought the gameplay sucked, the graphics and voice acting were just so-so and the storyline was lacking. Yeah, I was disappointed. 
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 09:08:39 EDT »

I gave my copy away. I thought the gameplay sucked, the graphics and voice acting were just so-so and the storyline was lacking. Yeah, I was disappointed. 

I thought the gameplay was OK, the voice acting was good but not on par with RDR and that the storyline was fantastic. All of those are just matters of opinion. I had this discussion with a work buddy of mine who hated it earlier... some games call to certain people. I thought RDR was overrated, many thought it was great. I love Halo and Assassin's Creed, many others hate them.

As far as the graphics... wat? I thought the detail was amazing and that it was a step up from GTA IV (the last Rockstar "city" game) as far as depth of field and detail from distance? I'm not sure how anybody could call the graphics "so so".

Also it must be nice to be able to just give games away, moneybags... the rest of us paupers trade them in on other games so the "investment" doesn't depreciate to zero. It is going used for $45... probably could've gotten $30 out of it. 

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 09:34:21 EDT »

I finished LA Noire last night... I bought it two weeks ago this past Monday.

Honestly probably the most gripping storyline of any game I've ever played. The gameplay was just so-so but like a good book I couldn't put it down.

It took me right at 22 hours to finish the main storyline plus DLC, with right at 70% overall sync. I didn't do most of the side missions.

IGN gave it an 8.5.  I'd say that's probably about right.  That puts it in the above average range, but not quite on par with other Rockstar titles.  It's a solid first installment of a franchise (assuming they're planning sequels), and there's plenty of room for improvement.  Sometimes it takes studios a sequel or two to get it right (see Assassin's Creed- based on the first game, I never would've imagined myself spending a dime on a sequel, but now I'm sure glad I did). 

On a related note, I've just now started watching Mad Men on Netflix.  It's weird seeing the guy who played Cole Phelps on a real show.

BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 09:57:46 EDT »

I thought the gameplay was OK, the voice acting was good but not on par with RDR and that the storyline was fantastic. All of those are just matters of opinion. I had this discussion with a work buddy of mine who hated it earlier... some games call to certain people. I thought RDR was overrated, many thought it was great. I love Halo and Assassin's Creed, many others hate them.

As far as the graphics... wat? I thought the detail was amazing and that it was a step up from GTA IV (the last Rockstar "city" game) as far as depth of field and detail from distance? I'm not sure how anybody could call the graphics "so so".

Also it must be nice to be able to just give games away, moneybags... the rest of us paupers trade them in on other games so the "investment" doesn't depreciate to zero. It is going used for $45... probably could've gotten $30 out of it. 

I didn't think it had nearly as much attention to detail as the GTA IV world...or the RDR world for that matter. But that was insignificant compared to the fact that there was absolutely no skill required to play the game. And it was too slow and repetitive. Honestly, how many times can you pick up a glass bottle and say, "Hmmm. Doesn't seem very important." 

Btw, anyone who loves Halo is just weird.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 10:38:17 EDT »

I didn't think it had nearly as much attention to detail as the GTA IV world...or the RDR world for that matter. But that was insignificant compared to the fact that there was absolutely no skill required to play the game. And it was too slow and repetitive. Honestly, how many times can you pick up a glass bottle and say, "Hmmm. Doesn't seem very important." 

Btw, anyone who loves Halo is just weird.

Then why keep picking up bottles? Or brushes or mirrors or any of the other things that never turned out to be clues? 

I'll just ignore your last comment. 

I think what BDV shared above is correct... I'd give it a 8.5 out of 10, mostly based on storyline. I agree that the gameplay was soft, but I do think there was skill involved... just not the typical kind of video game skill.

BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 12:08:32 EDT »

Then why keep picking up bottles?

To annoy you... 
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 03:38:58 EDT »

I enjoy LA Noire, I can't say it blew me away but I'm glad I bought it. Usually what happens is I will purchase a game and play it alot at first.. but something interrupts me and I go awhile without playing it before I pick it up again.  Actually I think I do this with most games I buy.  I only finished AC: Brotherhood about a month ago! (but I love the AC games)  I just get busy doing other things I guess.

Most of the time I can only sit down and play a game an hour or an hour and a half at a time before I think of other things I need to be doing.  The Battlefield games (specifically, BF2) is the only game I can really say I could/would sit down and literally play for hours and hours on end.. I remember playing this game all day on occasion with only pee breaks and food breaks.  So yeah, I'm eagerly awaiting BF3 this fall.
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 04:25:01 EDT »

I enjoy LA Noire, I can't say it blew me away but I'm glad I bought it. Usually what happens is I will purchase a game and play it alot at first.. but something interrupts me and I go awhile without playing it before I pick it up again.  Actually I think I do this with most games I buy.  I only finished AC: Brotherhood about a month ago! (but I love the AC games)  I just get busy doing other things I guess.

Most of the time I can only sit down and play a game an hour or an hour and a half at a time before I think of other things I need to be doing.  The Battlefield games (specifically, BF2) is the only game I can really say I could/would sit down and literally play for hours and hours on end.. I remember playing this game all day on occasion with only pee breaks and food breaks.  So yeah, I'm eagerly awaiting BF3 this fall.

When Vinnie still lived in his apt., he would leave his headset mic on and I could hear him peeing. True story.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 04:37:13 EDT »

When Vinnie still lived in his apt., he would leave his headset mic on and I could hear him peeing. True story.

LOL
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: