VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 11:11:56 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So Lebatard (sp?) was on the DP show  (Read 4562 times)
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« on: August 17, 2011, 07:53:11 EDT »

Basically what he closed with was that the same story gets retold every time, only the details change... this time it's prostitutes and money (Miami), then it's tattoos and memorabilia (OSU), then it's academic fraud and trips from agents (UNC), then it's a star player receiving money and a house (U$C), then it's a basketball coach who takes his shirt off at womens' basketball games.

I seriously came close to driving off the road. Bruce Pearl lied about a minor violation. Bruce Pearl was fired. Bruce Pearl deserved to be fired. Neither Bruce Pearl or his program was accused of this sort of widespread corruption, and according to what I know Bruce Pearl never knowingly played ineligible players.

If I hear one more "journalist" lump the Bruce Pearl situation in with the rest of this bullshizzle my head may explode. And using the example of the LV game? I mean, at least say he cheated and lied... that's technically true, although somewhat disingenuous... but using the example of him taking his shirt off just further illustrates how journalism has gone straight to hell.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 07:57:11 EDT »

Basically what he closed with was that the same story gets retold every time, only the details change... this time it's prostitutes and money (Miami), then it's tattoos and memorabilia (OSU), then it's academic fraud and trips from agents (UNC), then it's a star player receiving money and a house (U$C), then it's a basketball coach who takes his shirt off at womens' basketball games.

I seriously came close to driving off the road. Bruce Pearl lied about a minor violation. Bruce Pearl was fired. Bruce Pearl deserved to be fired. Neither Bruce Pearl or his program was accused of this sort of widespread corruption, and according to what I know Bruce Pearl never knowingly played ineligible players.

If I hear one more "journalist" lump the Bruce Pearl situation in with the rest of this bullshizzle my head may explode. And using the example of the LV game? I mean, at least say he cheated and lied... that's technically true, although somewhat disingenuous... but using the example of him taking his shirt off just further illustrates how journalism has gone straight to hell.

Bruce screwed the pooch and has paid the price, but he was NOT paying players money to play, he was not providing recruits prostitues to screw on his 1.6 million dollar yacht, he was not having boosters pay for abortions cause a player got someone pregnant, etc etc etc. 

Journalists have gotten to the point that they are more Jerry Springer than they are Grantland Rice.....so I say F em and the Jacka$$ they road in on!!

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

Oldvol75
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 07:58:47 EDT »

Hotdogs and hamburgers > prostitutes

God “The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the external rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained.” from George Washington’s first Inaugural address.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 08:21:14 EDT »

Agree, but it's possible that what we heard in public about Bruce was only the tip of the iceberg.  Let's hope no further revelations emerge in the next couple of weeks.  Not a good time for that.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 08:29:01 EDT »

Agree, but it's possible that what we heard in public about Bruce was only the tip of the iceberg.  Let's hope no further revelations emerge in the next couple of weeks.  Not a good time for that.

Stuff that wasn't in the NCAA report? There is no ongoing investigation and we've all read the NCAA report.

There are times to caution people but this really isn't one of them. Lebatard's inclusion of Bruce in that statement was dumb as hell.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 04:08:41 EDT »

Call it "The Sports Reporters" Syndrome.  Sports journalism went to hell when the "reporters" started getting their stories not from players and coaches, but from each other.  Now a print journalist hasn't made the "big time" unless he's on TV, radio, or both.  And how do you get there?  Be more outrageous than the next guy.  Lebatard is a perfect example.

BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 05:33:35 EDT »

You guys make the mistake of assuming sports columnists are journalists. Columnists work less, get paid more and are further disconnected from reality than "real" journalists.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 05:55:56 EDT »

You guys make the mistake of assuming sports columnists are journalists. Columnists work less, get paid more and are further disconnected from reality than "real" journalists.

You're in the biz so you tell me... aren't you describing the difference between a columnist and a reporter? Aren't they both "journalists"?

BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 06:18:12 EDT »

You're in the biz so you tell me... aren't you describing the difference between a columnist and a reporter? Aren't they both "journalists"?

Hell no! They're columnists. They don't belong in the same conversation as journalists.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 07:04:27 EDT »

Hell no! They're columnists. They don't belong in the same conversation as journalists.

Interesting.

BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 08:04:37 EDT »

I'm being facetious, of course. That's why I added "real" in the last sentence of my original post. My personal opinion is that a columnist is a detriment to the profession of journalism. Yeah, they can write...and they're usually grammatically correct, even. But their sole purpose is to stir people up. That isn't journalism; that's entertainment.

Of course, having said that, if I had an opportunity to leave my job for one that would pay me to write my opinions, I'd be on that like Terrence Cody on a biscuit.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: