VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 09:02:53 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Miami Situation  (Read 1935 times)
EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« on: August 19, 2011, 01:28:02 EDT »

Just one question...wasn't Randy Shannon hired as head coach suppossed to be a "straight arrow" and would not put up with the kind of crap that Shapiro was pulling? 

Seems like it was a bigger cesspool than Kiffin even thought about creating here.

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 06:13:53 EDT »

No college or university is going to be immune from things like supposed happened at Miami as long as they have to beg, plead, and bend over backwards to please the egos of the big money donors needed to raise the $millions they all crave.  I also says supposed because Shapiro is a convicted felon that stole over $900 million in a Ponzi scheme.  While a fact that a lot of the evidence to support these allegations are on Facebook and other social media, where is the evidence that the NCAA or Miami were monitoring these sites.  Are universities and NCAA so computer illiterate and technology stupid that they do not have people monitoring the social networks of future, current, and past players for evidence of illegal activity?  It appears the only way people get caught is when they are "anomalously" turned in (Think a recruit at a BBQ) by a tipster.   Why is it Yahoo, school supporters, rivals, etc. seem to be able to dig up this information, but schools and the NCAA cannot?  People, it is all about the Benjamin's.

Because UM is a private school with limited major donors, it appears UM may have turned a blind eye on what he was doing because of the money he provided.  What you do not know, cannot be used against you.  Ignorace is this case may be used as an excuse.  If you read about the former Athletic Director's past accomplishments, the big positive was the fact that he was such a successful fund raiser for the university.  When you read about any of the AD candidates or successful ADs looking to take a new job at any NCAA institution, one of the first factors mentioned is how successful they were at increasing donations to the school.  Not increasing the grade point average, not decreasing the dropout rate, etc., but how much more money they brought in to the school and how good the relationship with big donors.

When people were defending Hamilton, the major defense was the fact that he could raise major dollars to improve the physical plant.  He could shmooze and smooth talk with the major and minor donors to get maximum dollars from them.

People, it is all about the Benjamin's.  All the front-running candidates that the blood-sucking research firm has recommended to UT in the AD search that have fallen by the wayside have all been exceptional fund-raisers.  The fact that numerous potential ADs have NCAA problems should give everyone pause to evaluate the situations.  In the drive to reach the pentacle and also raise money, how many institutions of higher learning just are not looking and investigating too deeply just so they have plausible deniability if caught?  I know after the fact it is easy to say "Miami had to have or should have known", but if you do not have staff dedicated to monitor such things or you just fail to monitor such things because it is not specifically required by NCAA, how culpable are you?  Again, ignorance can be a good defense if you can prove your ignorance.

Even if the coaches knew about it, did they report it?  As NCAA has show with Tressel ruling at Ohio State, if the coach does not report it, the school does not suffer.  Aside from the blatant extravagance of Shapiro, the one damning fact is Miami should have disassociated Shapiro because he owned a spots agency.

I think all NCAA sports programs are going to have step back and take an honest look at how money and the pursuit of money (i.e., big donors, TV contracts for football and basketball, private school networks, etc.) have corrupted sports.  As for Miami, the true victims are the current players and the fans who are going to suffer because of the greed and egos of people over the past decade.  The NCAA has no way to punish Shapiro and the players in the past.  It probably will not or even cannot punish the past coaches unless they can prove something.  Frankly, the word of a convicted felon lashing out in revenge does not carry a lot of weight with me.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: