VTTW Board Index
April 20, 2024, 02:07:58 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pat Summit health problems?  (Read 10344 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: August 23, 2011, 07:21:12 EDT »

Some tweets about some major news coming up regarding Summit?

Salvador VOLi
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 07:21:38 EDT »

Apparently she has dementia?
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 07:27:05 EDT »

Apparently she has dementia?
\

CBS sports is reporting she has early onset dementia, and will try to coach

http://www.cbssports.com/#!/general/story/15473196/vols-summitt-diagnosed-with-dementia-will-try-to-coach
GatorJamie
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 07:44:50 EDT »

Horrible, cruel disease that runs in my family. Prayers and best wishes to her family, staff, and players.

Major kudos for her being public about this at an early stage. She can do a lot of good.
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 07:48:12 EDT »

The KNS's story...

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2011/aug/23/pat-summitt-diagnosed-early-onset-dementia/
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 08:00:08 EDT »

Awful, awful news.   
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 08:04:31 EDT »

I was a huge Eddie Robinson fan and saw what it did to him. I should have gone to see Grambling before he went down. I'll absolutely make the trip to see Coach Summitt this season.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
101stDad
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 08:24:37 EDT »

My Dad's wife (his second wife, not my mother) suffered from dementia for the last 10 years before her death back in May.  Obviously it is an issue for those who suffer from it, but it is also very hard on the caregivers, too.  You want to help, but there is just nothing that can be done. 

Ms. Summitt is a tough lady, and I mean that in a complimentary fashion.  She'll fight it to the max. 
MIAUTIGER
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 08:31:27 EDT »

Very sad news. Just because you can't do much about it and for those that have been around it with other family members, you know what it will lead to. I was thinking about taking my two oldest daughters to at least one Lady Vols game this year so they can see a legend. I will most certainly plan on this now. She is a great leader.

Bammer suxes! That is all!
Ridge Runner
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 08:39:34 EDT »

Wow that's just terrible. Best wishes to Coach Summitt, a true class act.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 09:53:53 EDT »

Horrible news.  God bless Coach Summitt.

On a slightly more selfish note, how much bad news can one fansbase endure?  I think we're finding out.  The past three years or so have been one big downer for UT athletics.  One thing's for sure: If you call yourself a Vol these days, no one can accuse you of being a fair-weather fan.

tnflower
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 10:04:10 EDT »

Ohhhhhhh Nooooooooo........that's awful.
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 10:19:30 EDT »

God bless her and her family and I was thinking the same thing BDV. Just when things were starting to look up a little.

I may try to make a game just for her now though. Nothing would please her more than a full house at every game because it will help the Lady Vols, WCBB and the University.

Horrible news.  God bless Coach Summitt.

On a slightly more selfish note, how much bad news can one fansbase endure?  I think we're finding out.  The past three years or so have been one big downer for UT athletics.  One thing's for sure: If you call yourself a Vol these days, no one can accuse you of being a fair-weather fan.
RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 10:49:32 EDT »

Prayers go out to Pat and her family.  This is sad sad news but as usual, she is handling it with class and dignity. 

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2011, 02:22:04 EDT »

That is just terrible news.  My prayers to Tyler.  I saw what this horrible sickness did to my mother-in-law for twenty years until her death.  I also saw how it just drained the happiness from my wife as she had to move her mother to progressively more intensive nursing facilities.  She never spoke or recognized anyone those last 8 years.  My wife still went to see her and rubbed on her and applied lotion every chance she could.  Pat and Tyler will be in my prayers.  Pat needs to retire and enjoy what little time she has left that she can remember and enjoy.  Pat, you have done enough for the UT family.  Be selfish and take care of yourself.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2011, 02:31:32 EDT »

That is just terrible news.  My prayers to Tyler.  I saw what this horrible sickness did to my mother-in-law for twenty years until her death.  I also saw how it just drained the happiness from my wife as she had to move her mother to progressively more intensive nursing facilities.  She never spoke or recognized anyone those last 8 years.  My wife still went to see her and rubbed on her and applied lotion every chance she could.  Pat and Tyler will be in my prayers.  Pat needs to retire and enjoy what little time she has left that she can remember and enjoy.  Pat, you have done enough for the UT family.  Be selfish and take care of yourself.

I have a feeling that this season will be her last, and that she'll be the head coach in name only, ala Joe Paterno.  That will be a good thing in that it gives the fans a chance to properly see her off.

XHotlanta
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2011, 02:51:25 EDT »

The WORST Vol news I've heard in a long, long, long time.   Very sad about this.   
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2011, 02:55:26 EDT »

Just a sad, sad story. I can't stop feeling as though there's been a death in the family today. Women's basketball may be a relatively unimportant sport, but there's no name more synonymous with the University of Tennessee than Pat Summitt. And knowing that someone who has been such a steady and influential force in the school's athletic department for longer than I've been alive is facing a disease like Alzheimer's, and at such a relatively young age, is just very sad.
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2011, 04:45:03 EDT »

From 1998. Worth rereading:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1012132/1/index.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: