VTTW Board Index
April 19, 2024, 09:34:51 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why should I hate Jimmy Cheek?  (Read 4742 times)
10EC
« on: August 25, 2011, 07:50:33 EDT »

Is it b/c he through Bruce under the bus and we like Bruce? 

This is truly from an outsider b/c I never have followed basketball.  But, from an outsiders point of view, didn't Bruce get the penalty and not the university?  Isn't that Cheek's job?  To protect the university?

Not trying to defend him, I just understand the whole situation.....
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 07:53:05 EDT »

Is it b/c he through Bruce under the bus and we like Bruce? 

This is truly from an outsider b/c I never have followed basketball.  But, from an outsiders point of view, didn't Bruce get the penalty and not the university?  Isn't that Cheek's job?  To protect the university?

Not trying to defend him, I just understand the whole situation.....

Because he's a Gator.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 07:55:03 EDT »

The real reason is because instead of just being up-front and saying "We have to let him go for the good of the program" they threw Bruce under the bus in the days leading up to the NCAA game and trumped up a meaningless violation and used the turmoil surrounding those situations as an excuse. To Cheek I would say, be a man, handle it head on, and tell us the truth. Less people would have a problem moving on from Bruce if they had told the truth rather than standing beside him for months only to reverse field and do it the way they did it.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
10EC
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 08:12:13 EDT »

The real reason is because instead of just being up-front and saying "We have to let him go for the good of the program" they threw Bruce under the bus in the days leading up to the NCAA game and trumped up a meaningless violation and used the turmoil surrounding those situations as an excuse. To Cheek I would say, be a man, handle it head on, and tell us the truth. Less people would have a problem moving on from Bruce if they had told the truth rather than standing beside him for months only to reverse field and do it the way they did it.

What if the NCAA told him privately about the 3 year show cause right before the firing?
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 08:26:23 EDT »

What if the NCAA told him privately about the 3 year show cause right before the firing?

I'm not sure how that changes anything I posted. "We have supported Bruce to this point but we now believe that we are forced to terminate him for the good of our University."

Don't trump up a BS violation to muddy the water and don't say anything until after the NCAA tournament. No matter how far we go, he's getting a 3 year show cause, so you're firing him anyway.

BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 09:41:16 EDT »

I'm positive that the NCAA DID let the administration know what was coming. They may not have implicitly said that it would be a 3-year show cause, but there was nothing else that happened that could've changed the administration's mind from when they expressed unequivocal support for Pearl in September and when Hamilton made his Sports Animal appearance in March. Even if we accept at face value the administration's claim that the "bump" played a role in their decision, they knew about that violation well before they reiterated their support for Pearl as recently as January or February.

The problem is that Cheek (and Hamilton, but mostly Cheek since Hamilton was little more than a puppet by the time the ball really started rolling) wasn't man enough to face up to the job he needed to do, as Revolver said. As far as I'm concerned, Cheek isn't to be blamed for firing Pearl; the NCAA made that inevitable. But when you put out a vaguely worded statement knowing that the media will take it the wrong way and assume the head coach is guilty of additional wrongdoing, and then the media does take it the wrong way and report that the head coach is guilty of additional wrongdoing, and you don't bother to correct them...how's that any different than just flat-out lying?
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 01:11:46 EDT »

Well for one thing, just look at him.  Does this look like a guy worthy of anything more than distrust and scorn?  Put a bowtie on him, and he'd fit right in at Vandy.  Hell, I bet his wife even smokes weed.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 03:11:38 EDT »

Well for one thing, just look at him.  Does this look like a guy worthy of anything more than distrust and scorn?  Put a bowtie on him, and he'd fit right in at Vandy.  Hell, I bet his wife even smokes weed.

lol.  A little harsh to pick on someone for their appearance, donchathink?

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 03:29:21 EDT »

The orange of that tie is decidedly not Tennessee Orange.
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 10:23:49 EDT »

My Momma taught me that love and respect are earned and not given just because of a person's position.  You are supposed to give the position respect, but the person has to earn it.  Jimmy Cheek has done nothing, not a single thing that makes me believe he is competent or deserves any respect from his actions.  He is a nebbish.  I hope UT survives the years he is in charge.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: