VTTW Board Index
April 16, 2024, 10:49:36 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: aTm notifies the Big 12 that they intend to leave  (Read 6144 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: August 25, 2011, 10:08:18 EDT »

formality now that they will be in the SEC

http://tamu.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1256243
Oldvol75
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 10:36:22 EDT »

I would assume that this officially starts the ball rolling for expansion!

God “The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the external rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained.” from George Washington’s first Inaugural address.
XHotlanta
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 03:15:08 EDT »

formality now that they will be in the SEC

Didn't the conference very recently say "NO!" to expansion?  I want them to join the conference, but when someone refused my entry I'd think twice before asking again to be admitted.  Not sure what to think about this.  

EDIT:   After searching around I found this link:   http://nyti.ms/qP2qpW
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 03:40:14 EDT by XHotlanta » Logged
EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 01:09:21 EDT »

Didn't the conference very recently say "NO!" to expansion?  I want them to join the conference, but when someone refused my entry I'd think twice before asking again to be admitted.  Not sure what to think about this.  

The SEC was doing nothing but following the pattern in that aTm had to tell the Big 12 they were officially withdrawing from the conference.  That is why the SEC said "not at this moment" at the time.  The SEC really wants aTm but wanted it done "by the book"

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 02:26:41 EDT »

They didn't say no, they are waiting on aTm to officially leave the Big 12

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 04:12:25 EDT »

They actually didn't notify them that they are leaving for sure, just that they are "exploring options".  It's definitely not official yet. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
MIAUTIGER
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 04:26:52 EDT »

They actually didn't notify them that they are leaving for sure, just that they are "exploring options".  It's definitely not official yet. 

I think it is more or less a form letter they sent.  Given all the news with aTm and the SEC, I think this was an official letter they had to take to do it by the book.  At this point, I would be surprised if aTm was not in the SEC next year.

So, that leaves the question of who will be team #14? The best one I have seen as an option would be Virginia Tech. Good football program, an decent basketball program, and a good TV market. And if they go to the SEC-E, and aTm goes to the SEC-W, no realignments are needed.

Bammer suxes! That is all!
Memphisvolunteer
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 04:28:22 EDT »

It is about as official as it gets from actually doing it.  They are following the way Nebraska did it so they can't be sued by the Big 12 or forced to pay a huge amount of money to leave.  The way they were going about it weeks ago would have made for tons of lawsuits.  
Memphisvolunteer
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 04:30:47 EDT »

I don't know that Va Tech gives the SEC the added exposure it is looking for.  People say it brings you the DC market but does it really?  DC is still a ways from Blacksburg.  I just don't see that many people in DC as being Va Tech fans...maybe I am wrong.  I would think they follow Maryland and Virginia more.

101stDad
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 09:37:37 EDT »

I don't know that Va Tech gives the SEC the added exposure it is looking for.  People say it brings you the DC market but does it really?  DC is still a ways from Blacksburg.  I just don't see that many people in DC as being Va Tech fans...maybe I am wrong.  I would think they follow Maryland and Virginia more.

On the contrary.  There are a ton of VPI grads working in the DC-Northern VA/Baltimore/Tidewater areas.  Those are the 9th, 26th, and 43rd TV markets in the country.  Throw in #57 Richmond and you have brought in a sizable potential TV audience just by adding VPI.    

And an edit:  By adding aTm and the 5th largest market in Dallas and the 10th largest in Houston, and adding VPI and the Virginia markets, the SEC would be doing about the best it could do with expansion. 

I'd love to see Oklahoma come in to the SEC from a competitive standpoint, but aTm and VPI are more important from a financial standpoint.  Oklahoma would defnitely be either my 15th or 16th team, however.   
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 10:05:10 EDT by 101stDad » Logged
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2011, 01:34:58 EDT »

I would like to see VPI, but someone earlier suggested they are fat, dumb and happy in the SEC and may not wish to leave.  They have recently had almost a bye into the championship game and they get plenty of bball revenue as well.I am not sure they want to come into the SEC and get beat up, but I would welcome them if they do.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
JBuck
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2011, 10:21:52 EDT »

As someone who spent the first 25 years of life growing up inside the beltway (and who is not THAT old), my experience is that VPI wasn't much of a player in the DC/Baltimore sports world.  In fact, the coverage of VPI is MUCH stronger here in east TN than in that part of the world.  For those who follow college sports in DC/MD/NOVA, it is UMD and UVA who get the coverage - oh,  an occasionally my SU Seagulls during LAX or Women's Field Hockey seasons. ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: