VTTW Board Index
April 18, 2024, 10:14:58 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This is why I consider sports columnists a step below "real" journalists  (Read 4451 times)
BigOrange Maniac
« on: August 26, 2011, 02:35:10 EDT »

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/08/24/bernstein-pat-summitt-shouldnt-continue-coaching/

Obviously we're going to see a lot more of this as we go forward. It's just that most columnists have the decency to wait a few days. Not Dan Bernstein. He had his column written and posted within six hours of the story breaking yesterday. (Edit: I was wrong about how quickly he posted it; I forgot that the news broke Tuesday. Oh, well, what can I say? It's been a long week. The main point remains, however.)

If Pat Summitt isn't a.) putting her players in harm's way, b.) hurting the game of NCAA basketball, or c.) violating rules or ethics by coaching, then why would anyone without a vested interest in the University of Tennessee or its sports programs give a rip whether Pat Summitt continues to coach?

Will other coaches use her illness against her on the recruiting trail? Unfortunately, without a doubt. Will UT's play on the court suffer because of her illness? To a certain degree, probably. Will the overall state of the program decline? It's a real possibility.

But as long as she isn't jeopardizing her players or the integrity of the game, why would a columnist in Chicago, Illinois, care whether a coach continues to coach in Knoxville, Tennessee?

Answer: He really doesn't. Like most columnists, his main interest is stirring folks up and generating page views. And providing yet another example of why most sports columnists are buffoons.
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 03:27:15 EDT »

I'll not be giving him a page hit.
Memphisvolunteer
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 04:46:19 EDT »

BOM, I don't think the play on the court will suffer.  I think, if anything, it will make them play harder and more determined and fight for their coach.  They will not want to let her down.  I also don't think the state of the program will decline.  Will other coaches use it against her, sure, but alot of recruiting was done by the assistant coaches anyway.

I just don't understand why some people hate Pat.  How can you hate someone that has done so much for the sport...and the right way.  You have never heard the NCAA accuse the Lady Vol Basketball program of rules violations.  Pat has graduated 100% of her players.  What isn't to love about the woman?

Reading the reactions from former players, you know how much they care for her.  While outsiders may have misconceptions because of Pat's stare or constant yelling, they also need to read what her former players say about her.  Pat let's them stay at her house even to this day if they are in Knoxville.  She cooks for them and provides them guidence.  Every comment I read from former players talked about Family and We will fight this, not she, but WE.
RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 07:09:17 EDT »

He is an IDIOT!  Nuff said.   

MIAUTIGER
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 07:24:23 EDT »

He is an IDIOT!  Nuff said.   

Short and sweet and to the point. And correct.

Bammer suxes! That is all!
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 10:16:51 EDT »

Pat is going to be a figure head and head coach in name only.  She has already handed over most of the responsibilities as head coach to the assistants by delegating authority.  She should coach this year and retire.  As one who has seen family and in-laws suffer with and die from this, it is not a pretty sight to observe.  From the symptoms see described, she is already in a state of decline.  I know the medical professionals all say the new treatments and drugs may slow it down, but I recognize the expressions on her face as ones I have seen.  I hate it for her. I hate that this has happened.  But if Pat really loves the program and Tennessee, she needs to put her desires and ego aside and quit at the end of this season.  No amount of love, no amount of desire, no amount of anything is going to make this go away.  The Lady Vols need to go out and win one more championship for Pat because she will not be able to recruit next year at all.  Take off the orange colored glasses and treat the woman like your aging mother.  I remember when we had to take away my Momma's keys and sell her car when she could not drive anymore.  People get old, people get sick.  Sometimes people get too sick to work and do their jobs at peak ability.  Let her remain this year, but Pat needs to enjoy what little time she has left before she is incapacitated.  IMO, she will not make it the 3 years she wants to keep coaching.

Before anyone blasts me, I am 60 years old myself.  She can still be a great ambassador for UT.  But she will never be the Pat we are used to seeing.
RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 10:42:53 EDT »

And 60 years old makes you expert enough to say what Pat should do?  I'm 57 -- and I've watched family deteriorate from this dreadful disease as well -- but I would never try to tell Pat or anyone else what they should do in this situation.   Neither you, I or the IDIOT so-called reporter have any right to determine what Pat should do and when she should do it.  Only Pat and her doctors know where she is in the disease...she may make it 1 more year or less...she may make it 3 or 4 more years.  But it isn't for us to decide.

Nobody here is wearing orange colored glasses....we are all devastated about Pat's diagnosis because we know the end of her time as the Lady Vols coach is coming to an end much sooner than we thought.  But I say Pat should do what Pat wants to do as long as she is able to do so.

Nothing pisses me off more than people that have no knowledge of the specific situation telling others how to live their remaining productive years!   Maybe you need to put on some orange colored glasses and support Pat in living her life the way she chooses for as long as she is able.  
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 10:44:53 EDT by RockinGrannyVol » Logged

Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 10:45:05 EDT »

Do we even know how affected she is at this point? I trust that responsibilities are lined out with the staff. She's earned the right to end her career the way she chooses.
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 10:49:55 EDT »

Do we even know how affected she is at this point? I trust that responsibilities are lined out with the staff. She's earned the right to end her career the way she chooses.

Frankly, from the way her pre-diagnosis condition was described, I was concerned. Things like coming in late to practice, forgetting there was a meeting scheduled, not bothering to get out of bed at all, that's just so far removed from normality for any coach, least of all Pat Summitt. But if her doctors say she's okay to coach, I figure her condition must not be very far progressed. I think I read a statement from one of the doctors saying she was just in the beginning stages.

Either way, you're right: she has earned the right to make her own decisions. There may have never been a coach in history who did as much for his or her sport as Pat Summitt has done for the game of women's basketball, and there may never be another like her in the future. To me, that means you let her go out however she chooses to go out. End of story.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: