VTTW Board Index
April 25, 2024, 06:09:39 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Exhibit A as to why NYC will never be a college sports town  (Read 3489 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: August 30, 2011, 12:07:02 EDT »

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/football/spurrier_has_carolina_in_position_smfRZV7ZZ7Xm5lEWfYlFXK/0

droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 12:32:12 EDT »

Wait a minute. Who's doing the fact checking up there?

Spurrier can tick off his accomplishments in Columbia without any cue cards: South Carolina's first-ever win in Knoxville, Tenn., the Gamecocks' first-ever win at Florida, their first SEC East title, their first win over a No. 1-ranked team (Alabama last season), the first back-to-back wins over Clemson in school history.

That last part didn't sound right, so I did the checking. I didn't go all the way back but Carolina beat the tiglets four in a row in 1951-1954, two in a row in 1964-1965 and three in a row in 1968-1970.

Maybe they meant to say that he beat them back to back for the first time but it says "in school history".
droner
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 12:33:35 EDT »

And, I got a serious server error trying to post that. It took about 15 minutes. First time ever on my home computer.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 05:20:06 EDT »

You may scoff, but their recruiting has really taken off.  I see no reason they can't repeat as East champs, with the division down the way it is.  It may still be a reach to suppose they could beat bammer  or LSU (the two West faves), but losing Jefferson is going to hurt LSU IMO and I am still not sold on bammer.  They have a great D, but I will believe they have an offense of any sort when I see it.

It's a reach, but not so far as you might suppose.  It could happen IMO.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
droner
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 05:34:37 EDT »

The Cocks are pretty strong. If Garcia keeps his head and Lattimore and Jeffrey stay healthy, they're going to be pretty good.
101stDad
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 05:36:53 EDT »

You may scoff, but their recruiting has really taken off.  I see no reason they can't repeat as East champs, with the division down the way it is.  It may still be a reach to suppose they could beat bammer  or LSU (the two West faves), but losing Jefferson is going to hurt LSU IMO and I am still not sold on bammer.  They have a great D, but I will believe they have an offense of any sort when I see it.

It's a reach, but not so far as you might suppose.  It could happen IMO.

That publication is infamous for its reaches in predicting college football champions.  Seems like they picked UT back in the past once when we finished something like 5-5 or 5-6. 

I'm with you and Droner - South Carolina makes as much sense as anybody else in the SEC right now, and given the SEC's recent history, if you can make it out of the SECCG you have a great shot at winning it all. 
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 05:39:30 EDT »

Spurrier has built South Carolina's program the same way Dooley is building ours. They are ahead of us right now, too, because he had a 5 year head start.

Of course Spurrier is a more proven coach than Dooley as well.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: