VTTW Board Index
April 19, 2024, 08:04:26 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Concerned about Coach Cuonzo Martin's recruiting  (Read 9369 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: August 31, 2011, 02:09:11 EDT »

He just got a commitment from Derek Reese. Not exactly the type of guy who will help you rebuild...profile below. This kid had zero major offers, we basically beat out James Madison and Florida gulf coast for him. Dating back to last year we have not gotten much in terms of recruiting. Now I can give him a pass on last year, he did not have much time...but he has 3 schollies to give and we get this kid...in August? I am very surprised, and scratching my head on this one.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/tennessee/basketball/recruiting/player-Derek-Reese-118958;_ylt=AiKj1tMWC57Z5Gqr5jwnfvybt5B4

Oldvol75
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 02:57:04 EDT »

In 3 years things will change! 

God “The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the external rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained.” from George Washington’s first Inaugural address.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 03:23:00 EDT »

It worries me a lot too, but I'm going to try hard not to think that way until we see the product on the floor the next couple of years.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 03:31:22 EDT »

Ugh.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 03:49:33 EDT »

It worries me a lot too, but I'm going to try hard not to think that way until we see the product on the floor the next couple of years.

This.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 03:50:31 EDT »

I going to give him a pass until the class of 2013.  Since we just now got past the NCAA cloud, I'm sure he had a hard time getting in on decent 2012 prospects in the first place.

Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 03:57:41 EDT »

Does this article help any?

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2011/aug/31/vols-land-versatile-wing/   
VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 05:12:57 EDT »

Hello Clay!  I didn't know you posted on vttw. 
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 05:25:40 EDT »

Hello Clay!  I didn't know you posted on vttw. 

Ha... Don't really care much for Clay lately

VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 05:30:18 EDT »

Me either....his whining about CCM is getting on my nerves.
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 05:33:47 EDT »

Who is Clay?
EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 06:00:48 EDT »

Maybe you should ask yourself why the previous coaching staff was recruiting the athlete also then.....

“Derek is a guy who has gotten better every year I’ve had him, and he’s had other schools recruiting him like Boston College, Wake Forest and Ole Miss, and Central Florida offered,’’ said Tucker, who in addition to coaching Reese’s Orlando Q-6 All-Stars AAU team is the coach at Cleveland (Tenn.) High School. “He’ll blossom in the SEC under Coach (Cuonzo) Martin; he fits into that philosophy and system well.

“He can play multiple positions. He’s long, he can shoot the heck out of the ball, and he handles the ball well.’’

Tucker, who is originally from Cleveland, said Reese has attended the past two UT elite summer camps and was recruited by the previous staff as well.

Sounds like you are pushing the panic button a little early on the Martin recruiting, just as some did on Dooley recruiting as well.  Proof is in the pudding AKA Games.

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 07:41:02 EDT »

Maybe you should ask yourself why the previous coaching staff was recruiting the athlete also then.....

“Derek is a guy who has gotten better every year I’ve had him, and he’s had other schools recruiting him like Boston College, Wake Forest and Ole Miss, and Central Florida offered,’’ said Tucker, who in addition to coaching Reese’s Orlando Q-6 All-Stars AAU team is the coach at Cleveland (Tenn.) High School. “He’ll blossom in the SEC under Coach (Cuonzo) Martin; he fits into that philosophy and system well.

“He can play multiple positions. He’s long, he can shoot the heck out of the ball, and he handles the ball well.’’

Tucker, who is originally from Cleveland, said Reese has attended the past two UT elite summer camps and was recruited by the previous staff as well.

Sounds like you are pushing the panic button a little early on the Martin recruiting, just as some did on Dooley recruiting as well.  Proof is in the pudding AKA Games.

Not panic, but concern. This is a kid who has zero major offers, and averages 10 points a game. Several local coaches there do not think he's SEC material. Recrutiing a guy does not mean he was going to be offered, we recruit lots of guys who never get an offer. No matter how anyone wants to spin that, it's real. We have three schollies to give, and it concerns me that we'd give one out to this kid. This isn't a Lofton type who lit it up in HS, averaged tons of points, but was overlooked.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2011, 07:41:39 EDT »

Who is Clay?

Clay Travis

Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2011, 08:29:33 EDT »

How did that name get into this thread?

Clay Travis

VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2011, 10:01:34 EDT »

Quote from: Inspector Vol link=topic=20855.msg98738#msg98738 date=
How did that name get into this thread?

I was joking....Clay is busy b*tching over everything CCM does so I thought I'd poke fun at Nut.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2011, 10:17:27 EDT »

When you take players that nobody else offers, fans are going to complain. I side with 'nut on this one, but I'm hoping a wait and see attitude is best.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2011, 10:41:38 EDT »

When you take players that nobody else offers, fans are going to complain. I side with 'nut on this one, but I'm hoping a wait and see attitude is best.

well, we will have to wait and see, what choice do we have.... but if CCM continues to take guys like this, I don't feel as confident about him as I did just a week ago.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: