VTTW Board Index
April 19, 2024, 09:46:46 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: For discussion today, to piggy back off of the 5 sports loyalties question  (Read 17792 times)
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« on: August 31, 2011, 08:56:42 EDT »

What are your top moments as a sports fan?

Mine:

1. Pandemonium Reigns: 1998 UT vs. Florida. I've long thought that Florida and Tennessee were the two best teams in America that year. Yes, the Arkansas game was huge and the Fiesta Bowl was the crowning achievement (more on those later) but the Florida game was symbolic of what that team was all about and the frustration that was let out that night was refreshing. Of course this could never be #1 if not what it led to. You won't see other victories vs. Florida on this list, not even 2001 or 2004.

2. The National Champion is clad in Orange: 1999 UT vs. Florida State. Pretty much self explanatory. To be honest it means more now than it did then because in the moment I thought we were going to compete at that level for a long time.

3. There are No Flags on the Field... It's a Miracle! aka The Music City Miracle: January 2000 Buffalo at Tennessee. One of the most amazing plays I've ever seen during a time when I wasn't sure whether I cared if the Titans were in Tennessee or not. The Super Bowl run that first year cemented the Titans' place in a lot of hearts (not lyn's LOL) and made me a fan.

4. JP Prince blocks Evan Turner: the Vols go to the Elite 8, March 2010: This is one of those that means more as time passes. Again, I thought it was the beginning of greater things. Sadly, it was probably the highlight of our program for many years to come.

5. The Miracle at South Bend 1990: One of the better days in my early days as a UT fan. So, so gratifying.

6. David Legwand's empty net goal vs. Anaheim to clinch playoff series, 2011: This is what spawned me to make this list. The new sports station in Nashville, 102.5, is playing Preds games in the middle of the day and today they replayed this one. It still gives me chills and makes me tear up.

7. OH MY GOODNESS! Steorner stumbles and fumbles! UT vs. Arkansas 1998. This may be higher for others here but you have to understand at the time of the game I was at work and getting the details of it second hand over the phone. I saw the first quarter and have seen the YouTube video of it but I've never seen the middle of the game. It was a great moment though because one second the dream of the national championship was dead and the next second it was alive and well and even seemed destined.

8. Bulls and MJ beat the Suns and Barkley to complete the three-peat, 1993 NBA finals. John Paxson hit a dagger three and Horace Grant blocked Kevin Johnson's last second try. I'm not the NBA fan I used to be but you have to understand that during that time in my life Vol football was 1a and Michael Jordan's Bulls were 1B. I LOVED that team.

9. Reds sweep the A's, 1990 World Series: I thought I would never see the Reds win a World Series. I had taken to rooting for the Mets during my childhood because the Reds always stunk. But that was a wire-to-wire year of glory. Great memories!

10t. Game 6 of the 1986 World Series, Mets vs. Red Sox. The Sox had the Mets dead to rights. The Mets had other ideas, and Bill Buckner became a goat personified. One of the most unabashedly joyous celebrations of my life... I was an 11 year old frontrunning homer.

10t. Jordan pushes off Russell, buries Utah to win 6th ring, 1998 NBA finals. When I remember my favorite basketball player of all time, I have two enduring memories... one of him hugging the trophy after the first ring and one of him burying Utah in his swan song. I don't acknowledge the Washington years.

Yours?

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 09:03:59 EDT »

I just realized that I left off the 1986 Sugar Bowl. 

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 09:18:01 EDT »

Also you don't have to do 10-12, I just couldn't stop and felt like I had to include all of those.

I can't believe I left out the Sugar Bowl. It's what stoked my fires as a UT football fan. But that would mean my list would be 12 because I can't remove any of the others.

VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 09:38:44 EDT »

Chris Johnson telling Titan fans to STFU....sorry I couldn't resist 
VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 09:47:59 EDT »

But seriously

1.   Pandemonium Reigns – who couldn’t pick this as #1
2.   Manning to Kent to start off the end of the Bammer streak
3.   Jay Graham – The Run – I was in the stands it was raining…it was beautiful
4.   Bill Duff stuffing Eddie George in the Citrus Bowl
5.   Dale Jones terrorizing Vinny Testaverde – I love Dale Jones
6.   Jeff Saturday recovering the fumble in the end zone against the Patriots in the AFC Championship Game 2007
7.   Marlin Jackson’s INT of Brady in the same game
8.   Chris Lofton hitting the 3’s against KY and giving them a little bit of a taunt
9.   Bruce Pearl shirtless at the Lady Vols game (can this count?  I don’t care I’m counting it)
10.   Mark Griffin going crazy on the court when UT beat KY in Rupp – maybe 1989?
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 09:51:15 EDT »

There's just too many to remember to put on a list and not leave something out.

The ones you've mentioned are certainly at the top.  Another one for me is the Citrus Bowl win over OSU.  It is particularly special to me because at the time our pastor and his family had been at our church for just a few years and they were huge Buckeye fans from up north.  His son is a year older than me and we became best friends so I spent a lot of time with them.  All we ever heard was the superiority of the Big Ten and OSU and that if the time ever came they would "show us what football is about".  Of course that OSU team was stacked and when the bowl matchup was announced they basically began celebrating their victory immediately.  Oh, that victory was sweet.  :-)

Another is the '95 Bama game.

Another is the '06 Cal opener (when I sat next to a relative of yours.. Or TRO's). We'd obviously just came off of the '05 disaster and Cal was highly ranked.  I can still remember mingling on the strip before the game, and the Cal fans walking around with their chests out and their stupid Berkley clothes. First we took their breath away with the pregame prayer then we demolished their team. Who doesn't remember their all star TE getting crushed and put out of the game on the opening kickoff?  Like you, it was a moment that I thought "we're back!" But sadly it wouldn't last.

That and the '95 Bama game come to mind as games where so much frustration was let out and the games just seemed like a 3 1/2 hour party.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 10:15:13 EDT »

There's just too many to remember to put on a list and not leave something out.

The ones you've mentioned are certainly at the top.  Another one for me is the Citrus Bowl win over OSU.  It is particularly special to me because at the time our pastor and his family had been at our church for just a few years and they were huge Buckeye fans from up north.  His son is a year older than me and we became best friends so I spent a lot of time with them.  All we ever heard was the superiority of the Big Ten and OSU and that if the time ever came they would "show us what football is about".  Of course that OSU team was stacked and when the bowl matchup was announced they basically began celebrating their victory immediately.  Oh, that victory was sweet.  :-)

Another is the '95 Bama game.

Another is the '06 Cal opener (when I sat next to a relative of yours.. Or TRO's). We'd obviously just came off of the '05 disaster and Cal was highly ranked.  I can still remember mingling on the strip before the game, and the Cal fans walking around with their chests out and their stupid Berkley clothes. First we took their breath away with the pregame prayer then we demolished their team. Who doesn't remember their all star TE getting crushed and put out of the game on the opening kickoff?  Like you, it was a moment that I thought "we're back!" But sadly it wouldn't last.

That and the '95 Bama game come to mind as games where so much frustration was let out and the games just seemed like a 3 1/2 hour party.

The guy you sat with at Cal in '06 was my buddy Jason... IncrediVOL's brother. He is one of the guys (along with eVOLved) who is splitting my pair of tickets with me this year.

The TE that got KTFO was Craig Stevens, who incidentally is the starting TE for the Titans now.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 10:25:34 EDT »

I'll go ahead and omit all my favorite UT football moments, because I'm sure they'll repeated over and over again in this thread.  Well, except for one that seems to have been forgotten:

The 2005 LSU game.  It's a damn shame that this game has been lost in the context of a horrible season, because in and of itself, it was as satisfying a win as I can remember.  When that game ended, I was lamenting the fact that I didn't know any LSU fans I could talk trash to.

Lofton over Durant.  Need I say more?  I was there, and I thought that the roof on TBA was going to collapse on top of us at that moment.  It was the single loudest moment I've experienced in any sports venue, ever.

The Atlanta Braves have given you a championship.  Of all the great Braves teams of the 90's and 00's, the '95 edition might have ranked #8 or 9 in terms of talent, but they somehow put it together in the postseason that year, and beat the most unlikable non-NY or Boston team in the past 2 decades in world series.  Remember that #badword# Albert Belle?  That was one sweet victory.  Too bad they haven't gotten another since then.

UTC over ETSU (basketball), 1991.  ETSU came in ranked #11 in the country, and we sent them packing.  Anyone who goes to Mocs games these days would have a hard time believing that the Roundhouse can rock like it did that night.

Larry Mize chips in to win the '87 Masters- this is the moment that got me hooked on PGA golf.  Contrary to popular belief, the Tour didn't begin with Tiger.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 10:30:11 EDT »

I can neither explain or duplicate the bizzare explosion of sound that came from me when Lofon hit that 3 over Durant.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 10:33:16 EDT »

I'll go ahead and omit all my favorite UT football moments, because I'm sure they'll repeated over and over again in this thread.  Well, except for one that seems to have been forgotten:

The 2005 LSU game.  It's a damn shame that this game has been lost in the context of a horrible season, because in and of itself, it was as satisfying a win as I can remember.  When that game ended, I was lamenting the fact that I didn't know any LSU fans I could talk trash to.

Lofton over Durant.  Need I say more?  I was there, and I thought that the roof on TBA was going to collapse on top of us at that moment.  It was the single loudest moment I've experienced in any sports venue, ever.

The Atlanta Braves have given you a championship.  Of all the great Braves teams of the 90's and 00's, the '95 edition might have ranked #8 or 9 in terms of talent, but they somehow put it together in the postseason that year, and beat the most unlikable non-NY or Boston team in the past 2 decades in world series.  Remember that #badword# Albert Belle?  That was one sweet victory.  Too bad they haven't gotten another since then.

UTC over ETSU (basketball), 1991.  ETSU came in ranked #11 in the country, and we sent them packing.  Anyone who goes to Mocs games these days would have a hard time believing that the Roundhouse can rock like it did that night.

Larry Mize chips in to win the '87 Masters- this is the moment that got me hooked on PGA golf.  Contrary to popular belief, the Tour didn't begin with Tiger.

I considered the 2005 LSU game and also the Travis Stephens screen TD vs. UGa in 2001. I left those off... LSU because the season sucked and UGa because lost the game.

I've never been a part of 30 seconds of pure bliss like that 2001 UGa play though. It was un-beee-leeevable. That was the only time I ever truly thought Neyland was going to collapse. fizzle Georgia!

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 10:40:22 EDT »

That 2001 UGA play is still the best play of my fandom.  Other games ended on fg's or whatnot, but that was a 60-70 yd (we thought) game winning play... That just doesn't happen.  I remember at least two people near where I was sitting needing to be tended to by paramedics during the final moments of that game.  :-(
Jedi Master
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 11:02:40 EDT »

Good topic.  From a Dawg and Steeler fan's perspective:

1.  Counting down the final seconds of UGA's MNC win over Notre Dame, 1980.
2.  Big Ben's pass to Holmes to beat the Cards in Super Bowl XLIII
3.  James Harrison's 100-yd interception return for a TD Super Bowl XLIII
3.  Run Lindsay Run
4.  HobNail Boot
5.  Bradshaw's 18-yard touchdown pass to Swann in Super Bowl XIII to beat Cowboys.
6.  David Green's game-winning TD to Michael Johnson against AU in 2002.
7.  DJ Shockley's 2nd TD pass to Sean Bailey against LSU in 2005 SECC game.
8.  Big Ben's comeback performance at Baltimore last year.
9.  Stafford's winning TD pass in OT against Bama in 2007.
10a. Sean Jone's 96-yd fumble return against UT in 2003, last play before halftime.
10b. David Pollack's strip sack/pick/game-winning TD against USC QB Corey Jenkins in 2002.

tnflower
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2011, 12:07:57 EDT »

The Atlanta Braves have given you a championship.  Of all the great Braves teams of the 90's and 00's, the '95 edition might have ranked #8 or 9 in terms of talent, but they somehow put it together in the postseason that year, and beat the most unlikable non-NY or Boston team in the past 2 decades in world series.  Remember that #badword# Albert Belle?  That was one sweet victory.  Too bad they haven't gotten another since then.

"BRAVES WIN! BRAVES WIN!" Sid Bream for President. 
CobbWebb
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2011, 01:06:12 EDT »

Man, what memories!

I guess the ones that really mean the most are...and in no particular order:

95 Bama game

1998 Florida

2001 Florida. This one was especially nice because I made the long trek to Gainesville, alone, and we were a 17 1/2 point underdog. I went by myself because I couldn't get any of my buddies to go. They just knew that we had no shot.

1986 Sugar Bowl. That game really brought UT back into the national spotlight after a long ciesta.

I think it was the 1989 UCLA game. Anyway, when we beat them in Pasadena and the entire team ran to the area where all the Vol fans were cheering. That was probably the game that started the whole National Championship run.

There are others but those were huge to me.

CW

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2011, 01:16:18 EDT »

2001 Florida. This one was especially nice because I made the long trek to Gainesville, alone, and we were a 17 1/2 point underdog. I went by myself because I couldn't get any of my buddies to go. They just knew that we had no shot.

Wow! That's pretty ballsy to go by yourself. You must've been one very fulfilled Vol fan after that game. I remember being on the board telling people we were going to get steamrolled, we should just worry about what bowl game we were going to.

CobbWebb
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2011, 01:26:30 EDT »

I also drove down to the 99 game at the Swamp by myself. That game sucked so everything evens out in time.

I was on cloud nine after the 2001 game, for sure.

I've seen three games at the Swamp: The 1994 Gator Bowl when Peyton and Co. destroyed the Hokies. I can still see Joey Kent (I think it was him) laying out and catching a long bomb from Manning. And then the two UF games.

CW
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2011, 04:01:39 EDT »

Ahhh yes, the night of the drunk corndogs.
Bandit and I pitching up with 50 or so other VOL fans, putting up with the loudmouth, drunk, obnoxious (but I repeat myself) corndogs in our face but leaving early, before we had even tied the game up.  The suddenly quiet corndogs not liking me pointing out that they had their loudly, repeatedly shouted demand for Clausen to play met.

I remember well after the game had ended a corndog that still had his head in hs hands trying to figure out how Miles had blown the game.

Also, Trooper darn near knocking me half way to Knoxvegas with a chest bump after the game, and coach Caldwell with one of the biggest stoogies smiling in content after the game.  Amazingly enough, their were no drunk corndogs around to rock the buses or break a window with their beer cans after the game.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2011, 06:10:19 EDT »

1.) Florida '98. I just don't think anything else can come close for us Generation X UT fans. Six long years of frustration at the hands of Florida were unleashed in one jubilant moment when that kick sailed wide left. It's been an equally long time since we've beaten them since, but it just isn't as frustrating as when there's one team standing between you and MNC potential seemingly every year.

2.) The Stoerner Stumble. I was listening to the game on the radio at work. Everyone was glued to the radio those final few minutes, but grumbled and stomped off after the incomplete pass on fourth down. I kept the radio on and couldn't believe what I was hearing when John Ward said (very calmly, I might add) that Stoerner had lost the football and Tennessee had recovered. He wasn't so calm a few minutes later when he was yelling "GIVE HIM SIX -- That's all. TOUCHDOWN, TRAVIS HENRY." I wasn't very calm, either.   That's the one game I missed that I would give anything to have attended, though I would have probably been one of those dumbasses leaving. That game probably wouldn't have meant as much if it had happened earlier in the season, but just the fact that we had finally made it to No. 1 after Michigan State (I think) upset Ohio State the week before, and then have that drama play out just a week later, that made it special.

3.) I haven't seen this one mentioned, but the one basketball game that will always stand out in my mind is UT's win over UK at TBA in 1993. Granted, UK would demolish the Vols in the SEC tourney later on, but that was one special win. Jamal Mashburn could have iced the game with under 10 seconds to go, but missed a free throw. With UK up 77-74, Pitino opted to foul Allan Houston rather than let him get a shot at a three. He missed the second FT intentionally and UT had an excellent putback opportunity with 4.7 seconds left but missed it. Then Corey Allen got the rebound, hit a tough jumper at the side of the lane and was fouled with 1.5 left. It was a miracle win after UT had led all day and appeared on the brink of losing it at the end. If anyone has any doubt about Wade Houston's coaching ability (not that anyone would), just remembering that we had Houston, Allen and Wiseman all on the same team and were still that bad should be enough to remove that doubt. Some YouTube goodness: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnnoOn4S-xY&feature=player_embedded

4.) '04 UF. You couldn't not feel good for Wilhoit. To go from goat to hero like he did was just incredible. It takes guts to step up and nail a 50-yd. field goal for the win after you've just missed an extra point.

5.) Game 6 of the 2003 NBA Finals. My enthusiasm for the NBA was already greatly waning by '93, but I grew up a huge fan of David Robinson, who I consider to be perhaps the classiest professional athlete of the modern era, and to see him go out on top was incredible.

6.) Sept. 13, 1998 — Cubs 11, Brewers 10. Mark McGwire had hit his 62nd homer (against the Cubs, no less) just three days earlier, leaving Sammy Sosa stuck on 60. Sosa went yard twice against the Brewers. Chip Caray, who has always been one of my favorite baseball announcers, cried "Move over, Roger Maris, you've got company." Just a few innings later he was yelling "Move over, Big Mac, you've got company" when Sosa smashed No. 62 out of the park. I was euphoric. What made that game even more special was the Cubs won, and they were decided underdogs, and stayed in the playoff hunt. Just to make the playoffs, obviously, was pretty special for the Cubbies. I've always wondered what that incredible home run race between Sosa and McGwire would've been like to have been able to hear Harry Caray call the shots. He died during spring training earlier that year. When it comes to sports announcers and commentators, Harry was second only to a guy who we all know and love.

7.) The win over tOSU to make it to the Elite Eight. I was critical of that team much of the season, but I've never been prouder of any UT team - football or basketball - than I was at the end of the '10 season. It was a very nice run.

8.) The first half of the UT-Memphis game in December '06. I wanted to see the Vols win that one BAD after listening to Memphis fans run their mouths all week about how Tennessee didn't stand a chance. Chris Lofton absolutely went berserk in the first half of that one. Memphis never stood a chance...it was fabulous. One of the most amazing halves of basketball I've ever seen from a single UT player. Here's a short video I put up on YouTube the following year to rub it in on the Memphis fans: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BaZaGOTUJE

9.) '99 Fiesta Bowl win. I guess this one should be higher up the list, but I was calm that night. I had spent the entire season watching the games with my father and he was out of town on business, so I was watching the game alone. That and I guess the fact that there had been so much drama during the season leading up to that point caused me to be strangely subdued for that one. I never really got overly worked up. The magnitude of the accomplishment didn't really set in until we attended the NC celebration at Neyland Stadium the following spring.

10.) The '01 win at The Swamp. Just the fact that no one thought we could do it made this one pretty special. Well, that and the fact that it put us in the driver's seat for another championship game appearance. I watched this one with my boss at work. The store closed before the game ended, but we stuck around until it was over. When that two-point conversion attempt failed, I think that was the only time I've ever hugged one of my bosses for any reason.  
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2011, 08:58:22 EDT »

Good call, BOM.  I was at that '93 UK win.   TBA didn't do much rockin' in the Wade Houston era, but it did that day. 
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 09:09:11 EDT by VinnieVOL » Logged
Model 12
Walk-On

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2011, 12:16:54 EDT »

Just had to mention the Glorious Victory in the Rain - Florida 92.  Mose Phillips rumbling down the field for a 50 yard TD in the worst rain I've ever been in.  Shuler outplayed the great Shane Matthews, Spurrier madder than a hornet, McCleskey grabbing his crotch in front of the Florida faithful at the NE end zone...ahhhhhhhhhhhhh...
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2011, 01:28:43 EDT »

Ahhh yes, the night of the drunk corndogs.
Bandit and I pitching up with 50 or so other VOL fans, putting up with the loudmouth, drunk, obnoxious (but I repeat myself) corndogs in our face but leaving early, before we had even tied the game up.  The suddenly quiet corndogs not liking me pointing out that they had their loudly, repeatedly shouted demand for Clausen to play met.

I remember well after the game had ended a corndog that still had his head in hs hands trying to figure out how Miles had blown the game.

Also, Trooper darn near knocking me half way to Knoxvegas with a chest bump after the game, and coach Caldwell with one of the biggest stoogies smiling in content after the game.  Amazingly enough, their were no drunk corndogs around to rock the buses or break a window with their beer cans after the game.

What I liked about it was that the corndogs had it set up so they couldn't lose.  They moved the game to a Monday night, so virtually zero UT fans could attend (I had to eat my ticket).  They made us bus down the day of the game, because they supposedly had no hotel rooms to put our team up in (even though their OWN DAMN TEAM stayed off campus in a hotel).  And of course those drunken #badword#s damaged our team bus on the way in.  We were supposed to be lambs on the way to slaughter.  This was the Washington Generals going to Rucker Park to play the Globetrotters.  This was Rocky training in a remote Siberian outpost and then going to Moscow to kick Drago's ass.  And then after it was over, it was like we had killed Santa Claus or something.  SO satisfying.

EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2011, 01:37:14 EDT »

What are your top moments as a sports fan?

Mine:

1. Pandemonium Reigns: 1998 UT vs. Florida. I've long thought that Florida and Tennessee were the two best teams in America that year. Yes, the Arkansas game was huge and the Fiesta Bowl was the crowning achievement (more on those later) but the Florida game was symbolic of what that team was all about and the frustration that was let out that night was refreshing. Of course this could never be #1 if not what it led to. You won't see other victories vs. Florida on this list, not even 2001 or 2004.

2. The National Champion is clad in Orange: 1999 UT vs. Florida State. Pretty much self explanatory. To be honest it means more now than it did then because in the moment I thought we were going to compete at that level for a long time.

3. There are No Flags on the Field... It's a Miracle! aka The Music City Miracle: January 2000 Buffalo at Tennessee. One of the most amazing plays I've ever seen during a time when I wasn't sure whether I cared if the Titans were in Tennessee or not. The Super Bowl run that first year cemented the Titans' place in a lot of hearts (not lyn's LOL) and made me a fan.

4. JP Prince blocks Evan Turner: the Vols go to the Elite 8, March 2010: This is one of those that means more as time passes. Again, I thought it was the beginning of greater things. Sadly, it was probably the highlight of our program for many years to come.

5. The Miracle at South Bend 1990: One of the better days in my early days as a UT fan. So, so gratifying.

6. David Legwand's empty net goal vs. Anaheim to clinch playoff series, 2011: This is what spawned me to make this list. The new sports station in Nashville, 102.5, is playing Preds games in the middle of the day and today they replayed this one. It still gives me chills and makes me tear up.

7. OH MY GOODNESS! Steorner stumbles and fumbles! UT vs. Arkansas 1998. This may be higher for others here but you have to understand at the time of the game I was at work and getting the details of it second hand over the phone. I saw the first quarter and have seen the YouTube video of it but I've never seen the middle of the game. It was a great moment though because one second the dream of the national championship was dead and the next second it was alive and well and even seemed destined.

8. Bulls and MJ beat the Suns and Barkley to complete the three-peat, 1993 NBA finals. John Paxson hit a dagger three and Horace Grant blocked Kevin Johnson's last second try. I'm not the NBA fan I used to be but you have to understand that during that time in my life Vol football was 1a and Michael Jordan's Bulls were 1B. I LOVED that team.

9. Reds sweep the A's, 1990 World Series: I thought I would never see the Reds win a World Series. I had taken to rooting for the Mets during my childhood because the Reds always stunk. But that was a wire-to-wire year of glory. Great memories!

10t. Game 6 of the 1986 World Series, Mets vs. Red Sox. The Sox had the Mets dead to rights. The Mets had other ideas, and Bill Buckner became a goat personified. One of the most unabashedly joyous celebrations of my life... I was an 11 year old frontrunning homer.

10t. Jordan pushes off Russell, buries Utah to win 6th ring, 1998 NBA finals. When I remember my favorite basketball player of all time, I have two enduring memories... one of him hugging the trophy after the first ring and one of him burying Utah in his swan song. I don't acknowledge the Washington years.

Yours?

Not a one of you has mentioned a game that was one of the most satisfying to me wins in the Johnny Majors era at UT.  If memory serves me right (yeah I am getting old) it was in 1990 and UF was jsut becoming the Steve Superior team.  ON a warm night in Knoxville Superior brought his Gator team to Knoxville and the first half was an instant classic since ti was defense defense defense babeeeeeeee.....and then UF kicked off to UT and Dale Carter got his hands on the ball at the 10 yard line and John Ward is saying "you never field the ball when it is about to go out of bounds" thank gawd that Dale Carter did not listen to conventional wisdom.....90 yards later Dale Carter is in the End Zone and the rout was on.  UT scored it seemed like on every play and the TE threw the best pass all night long to Carl Pickens for a score.  Fabulous game. 

The other game was the 1989 game with UCLA that Sterling Henton led the Vols to an absolute rout of the Bruins......UCLA had two fab tailbacks and was suppossed to win by a bunch (aka PICK YOUR SCORE game) and UT demolished them.  The game was on PPV and it is the first game I had ever watched like that.....since it was on the left coast after the game the video feed continued and the Johnny Majors show was done from the field and it was on the PPV telecast......omg I was I ever that young?

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2011, 01:53:26 EDT »

1. "Just give it the Henry" - 98 Arkansas game.  STILL one of my favorite VOL videos
2. Pandemonium Reigns: 1998 UT vs. Florida.  "Al Wilson again - Exactly"  I just watched that game on youtube last week.  Al was all over the field and that pick by Grant was a thing of beauty and saved a sure TD by the crocs.  Offensively we did just enough.
3.  85 Sugar VOLS.  Watching Benny "World Class" Blades get smoked by a REAL track star.  "Testerverdi is going to be SACKED!"
4.  The countdown to "The National Champion is clad in Big Orange!"  The pick 6, the two long passes, one for a TD.  It was aparent that our staff had no respect for their secondary.
5. Lofton's in your face trey to beat Tejas
6 The miracle at South Bend.  "It is NO good, it is NO Good!!"
7.  Braves Win!  Braves Win!  Braves Win!  Braves Win!!  Braves Win!   Braves Win! (yes Skip screamed it six ties).  The Sid Bream slide to beat the Pirates in the NLCS.
8.  Ernie & Bernie, pick a game.   "KING of the Volunteers!"
9.  The "block" against o'cryo state to make it to the Elite 8.
10.  2001 beating the crocs in the swamp. BGS was electric that night.  We had a great day tailgating with our gator friends from Mud's place and then watched Stephens run wild n the swamp.  "That's why you came to Tennessee!"

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: