VTTW Board Index
April 26, 2024, 03:38:13 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It's hard to believe that it's been that long.  (Read 2220 times)
CobbWebb
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: September 01, 2011, 01:41:55 EDT »

The years come and go and time seems to speed up. The thread about great UT memories made me think about watching the Sugar Bowl where we beat the snot out of Miami. That was so long ago.

I first posted on VTTW in 1998 and then became a regular (at least during the football seasons) in 1999. So strange that 13 years have passed since then.

Maybe the most difficult to grasp is that it has been since 2001 that the Vols were really any good. Oh, there were a few flashes and false hopes during the last decade but truthfully, we haven't been a power since then.

Let's hope that Dooley has them turning the corner and the next 10 or 15 years will be full of big wins and championships. One can hope.

CW
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 02:18:15 EDT »

At least for the first time in forever, we can see the light at the end of the tunnel.  I expect to be greatly improved this year.  Next year, we should be hell on wheels.  Depending on early departures, we could be even better in 2013.  And with the NCAA cloud now lifted, we're now recruiting on equal footing with everyone else for the first time in 3 years.

Not only that, but it appears that Dooley is recruiting a higher caliber of person as well (dare I say, 1% of 1%? Nah...), and once they get here, the VFL program is making them even better.  That program is already making us better off the field.  And if it helps to reduce attrition, it will yield on-field results as well.  If we win another NC in the next 5-10 years, I think we'll look back at Dooley's VFL program as a major reason for it.

CobbWebb
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 02:39:02 EDT »

I hate to put more pressure on Coach Dooley than he already has but he really, really needs to win a big game or two this season. I see Florida as the best shot. No offense to any lurking Georgia fans but a win vs. UGA isn't big enough. Florida has the name cred even if they are in transition. Plus, it could be the beginning of a couple of years of mediocrity for them.

Almost always when one team is heading up another is heading down. It's the way it works; there's just not enough room at the top. Hopefully we are trending up and Florida down. Georgia is flatlining, I think. I know, everyone thinks they will be good this season and that may be so but Richt is not going to be around much longer and then they will be in transition. Or he may be around and that would be even better, for us. Once upon a time Richt was a really good coach but those days are past, I think.

If Dooley and his coaches are good enough, this could be the beginning of something special. If not.....well, we've seen if not for the last ten years.

CW

Quasi EVol
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 06:40:00 EDT »

...Richt is not going to be around much longer...
...and that makes me nervous.  If UT has a good 2011 wihat will he do if Georgia came calling in 2012?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: