VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 08:41:07 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: We look like an average team to me.  (Read 3726 times)
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« on: September 04, 2011, 04:44:33 EDT »

I dont see anything special about us except Bray, Hunter and Rogers. Defensively I saw no stars either.

We may improve a lot and I hope we do because unless we really played down to our competition we are 6-6 or 7-5 at best.

We will know more next week. Our guys should be really focused and ready to play.
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 05:12:19 EDT »

Well they ran out pretty good, but then cooled it.  I'm surprised the OL didn't play better.  I doubt we be that good if we had won 70-0, and I'm not giving up on a much better team just because of a ho-hum opener.   
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 06:03:34 EDT »

It seems to me that Dooley teams tend to relax prematurely.   For instance, there seems to be a letup near halftime or the end of the game, or when sitting on a big lead.   I hope it's not a general trend.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 06:16:56 EDT »

I was really disappointed in the offensive line (particularly run blocking; pass blocking wasn't too terrible). Other than that, I thought it went about as could be expected. Montana isn't a terrible team.
Oldvol75
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 06:33:03 EDT »

I was really disappointed in the offensive line (particularly run blocking; pass blocking wasn't too terrible). Other than that, I thought it went about as could be expected. Montana isn't a terrible team.

Got to remember we telegraphed our running plays and they were putting 8 & 9 on the box.

God “The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the external rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained.” from George Washington’s first Inaugural address.
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 06:48:42 EDT »

Got to remember we telegraphed our running plays and they were putting 8 & 9 on the box.

That's true. But our OL had better be able to open some holes against an FCS team that knows the run is coming if they have any hope of opening holes against an SEC team.
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 03:03:55 EDT »

That was what troubled me. Montana may not be a bad team but they are not an SEC team by any stretch of the imagination. O-line was a big disappointment as was Poole. Play like that against Cincy and we will be 1-1. 

That's true. But our OL had better be able to open some holes against an FCS team that knows the run is coming if they have any hope of opening holes against an SEC team.
ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

Time is best spent with family and friends.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 03:45:09 EDT »

and they were run blitzing most of the time too on anything even going close to the RB.............................................I think you guys are underestimating Montana too...........................................................a solid team with 10 senior players on defense..........................Montana is better than many of the D1 teams.........................................

Go Big Orange.
101stDad
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 03:56:55 EDT »

I am going to reserve all judgement until after this Saturday.  Cincinnati is a lot better team than was Montana.  While Montana may be one of the traditionally best teams in D1-AA, they are still a D1-AA team, and there are worlds of differences in the talent level between D1-A and D1-AA. 

That said, other than a couple of players, I wasn't really impressed last night.  I hope that old saying that a team makes its most improvement of the year between the first and second games holds true this week.  We will need to get better to beat Cincinnati. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: