VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 12:09:21 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Still wanna see Bray against a good pass defense, but...  (Read 1430 times)
BigOrange Maniac
« on: September 04, 2011, 06:57:46 EDT »

IMO, the biggest question mark coming into this season was Tyler Bray. Was last November fool's gold or was he really that good?

Tonight's performance suggested that he was really that good. As Pirate said, he looked like he was in mid-season form. Very crisp passes, very accurate passes. He only had one really inaccurate throw. He made a couple of bad decisions throwing into coverage and got bailed out by the pass interference penalties. (But at least one of the picks wouldn't have happened if not for the PI.) He also held onto the ball too long a couple of times. Overall, though, I thought he played very well. 17 of 24 for 293 yards, and several of his incompletions were drops. If Rogers doesn't try to run before the catch and drop one, Bray has another long TD pass, too.

What I didn't like was the offensive line play. Gave up three sacks and really struggled to open holes for Poole and Lane. Our running backs broke into the Montana secondary just two times. That's unacceptable. Tennessee cannot win many SEC games by being one dimensional. It works against teams like Kentucky and Montana but it won't work against Florida and Georgia. I also wasn't really thrilled with the play of the running backs. Too much indecisiveness instead of hitting the holes (such as they were) hard and with authority.

Also, the fact that Tennessee put the ball on the ground six times tonight. Wet field or not, that's inexcusable. Against a better team, several of those wind up being turnovers.

I liked the play of our defense. One break down in pass defense leads to an 80 yard score and Montana tacks on a meaningless touchdown late. Aside from that, they don't find the end zone. I think our D is improved over a year ago. This Montana offense is similar in a lot of ways to the Oregon offense that gave this team fits last year.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: