VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 11:22:37 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A little more perspective  (Read 4802 times)
CobbWebb
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: September 04, 2011, 10:53:36 EDT »

The other day we were talking about the 2001 UT/UF game. The week before that game, UT struggled to beat a horrid UK team that had only two wins the entire season. You know what happened in the Swamp.

Now, there's no way to sugarcoat what happened with our O line and running game last night. Also, this is a young team that is going to make mistakes. It's also apparent that we are still feeling the affects of Fulmer's horrible recruiting. And yes, let's not forget the boy wonder Lane Kiffin. Between Fulmer and Kiffin, UT football was decimated. It's going to take more time and we're going to take some ass whippings in the process.

Just remember that one game does not tell the tale and this team might surprise us along the way. Hey, at least we're not Georgia. They have the whole coach firing, hiring, players going ape shizzle thing to look forward to the next couple of years.

CW  
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 10:59:44 EDT by CobbWebb » Logged
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 02:24:00 EDT »

Agreed. I think my perspective on being a little disappointed is that I deeply hope that we'd have some sort of out-of-the-blue breakout season... stupid I know but I'm a pie in the sky kind of guy.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
CobbWebb
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 03:19:05 EDT »

Just a thought: if Bray continues slinging the ball down field our running game will improve. I think it would be a mistake to try to pound Cincy. Instead, light them up and loosen up the front 7 and then get some rushing yardage. If we try to pound it against Cincy and fail, what type of mindset will the team have going into the UF game?

At this point, go with what works and take what they give you. I'm sure Coach Dooley needs this info fast so any of you with contacts inside the AD, please forward this message pronto!

CW
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 05:11:28 EDT »

I agree with all you said. My negativity about the game stems from my hopes we would be better. My mind knew this year would still be full of growing pains.......my heart wanted more.

The other day we were talking about the 2001 UT/UF game. The week before that game, UT struggled to beat a horrid UK team that had only two wins the entire season. You know what happened in the Swamp.

Now, there's no way to sugarcoat what happened with our O line and running game last night. Also, this is a young team that is going to make mistakes. It's also apparent that we are still feeling the affects of Fulmer's horrible recruiting. And yes, let's not forget the boy wonder Lane Kiffin. Between Fulmer and Kiffin, UT football was decimated. It's going to take more time and we're going to take some ass whippings in the process.

Just remember that one game does not tell the tale and this team might surprise us along the way. Hey, at least we're not Georgia. They have the whole coach firing, hiring, players going ape shizzle thing to look forward to the next couple of years.

CW  
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 05:25:53 EDT »

I didn't see the game and maybe that's why I am less negative than many seem to be on the run game.  We did have a decent rush total.  Is it that we should look better vs Montana?   Was it the avg per carry? Or did they just LOOK like shizzle?  I listened on the radio

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 05:29:42 EDT »

I didn't see the game and maybe that's why I am less negative than many seem to be on the run game.  We did have a decent rush total.  Is it that we should look better vs Montana?   Was it the avg per carry? Or did they just LOOK like shizzle?  I listened on the radio

YPC. They got stuffed a lot.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 05:54:32 EDT »

YPC. They got stuffed a lot.

IIRC, there were only two occasions where UT runners made it to the secondary. And none until well into the second half.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 05:59:34 EDT »

The only times we had effective runs is when we pulled Fulton and used him to lead in the hole.  I was dissapointed in the left side of the line, on the safety Bullard or Thomas caved like a tent in the pregame storm.  The OL as a whole seemed a bit disjointed with little or no push. 

Both backs tended to run too straight up, Poole has done that since he set foot on campus (I might of mentioned this once or twice ...).  I liked it that Lane seemed to make a decision and went.  Poole several times seemed to lack decisiveness.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 05:49:45 EDT »

Well I partially take back what I said.  I thought I heard we ran for 158 but it was actually 128.  That's average to below average vs an fcs team.   One thing that helps is that our per carry average was dinged by sacks. Poole averaged 4.1 per carry and 3.5 is considered average.  I don't take a huge amount of comfort that our starting g RB was slightly above avg vs an fcs team but 4.1 is much better than 2.8

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 10:24:58 EDT »

Well I partially take back what I said.  I thought I heard we ran for 158 but it was actually 128.  That's average to below average vs an fcs team.   One thing that helps is that our per carry average was dinged by sacks. Poole averaged 4.1 per carry and 3.5 is considered average.  I don't take a huge amount of comfort that our starting g RB was slightly above avg vs an fcs team but 4.1 is much better than 2.8

4.1 per carry agaist that team is not encouraging in the least.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, 03:16:13 EDT »

4.1 per carry agaist that team is not encouraging in the least.

Right.  But it's a lot better than 2.8.   

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: