VTTW Board Index
April 24, 2024, 02:59:31 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What we showed and what we didn't  (Read 2026 times)
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 06, 2011, 06:22:15 EDT »

Naturally one doesn't want to show everything he's got in the playbook in an opener against Montana, but it's interesting to note what we did show. We didn't show many pass routes, we didn't show many running plays, we didn't show many tricky blitz packages . . . but we did show

(1) A flea-flicker, early in the game.

(2) A 5-wide look with I-formation personnel (3 WR, Fugate, and a RB).

It's easy to read too much into that but I think it's safe to say that it was deliberate, showing 2 fairly exotic offensive concepts in a game where we otherwise played it very vanilla. Do our opponents the next 2 weeks have to slow their pursuit, even a little, from seeing that flea-flicker on the video? Perhaps there a couple corners out there that won't be crashing in on run support so quickly, and perhaps we get an extra few yards on a few plays as a result. You never know when that can make a big difference. We had some people over for the game and one of them was a drunk Pitt fan. He ragged us for nearly a half hour about calling a flea flicker against Montana, but I don't think that play was run to beat Montana.

The same goes for the 5 wide look. It would be easy to see that personnel in the huddle and come out in your base defense, only to get burned in pass coverage because your linebacker just can't cover that guy in space. So maybe, just maybe if you're the D-coordinator for Cincy or Florida, you're just a little more inclined to run a nickel package against that personnel group when you wouldn't have been otherwise. And perhaps we run the ball just a little better as a result.

Naturally this is just speculation, but those two things really jumped out at me as being possible mental games with the preparation of the opponents in our immediate future. It's fun stuff either way.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 06:29:12 EDT »

The flea-flicker was more than a little weird. A play like that on the first play of the second series against an FCS opponent? Considering Dooley's attention to detail, we can just about bet that there was a purpose behind it. And I like your theory for that purpose just as good as any.
VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 09:13:40 EDT »

sure Dooley was balancing not showing our best stuff with giving them something to think about. I hope we're ready and have a good showing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: