VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 10:00:43 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If anybody out there knows Bobby Denton, please do me a favor and  (Read 20642 times)
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 07, 2011, 05:34:30 EDT »

tell him that it's Marlon Walls and not Marion Walls? That drove me crazy the other night... for God's sake, pronounce our players' names correctly.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 07:03:12 EDT »

My biggest concern isn't that players names aren't being pronounced correctly, but that Bobby won't be around too much longer to mispronounce their names. The guy is an under-appreciated part of UT football. He's the John Ward of the P.A., for pete's sake. I'll forgive him a few mistakes. (After all, I'm pretty sure he still gets more names correct than Bob Kesling.) 
GreggO
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 07:13:02 EDT »

tell him that it's Marlon Walls and not Marion Walls? That drove me crazy the other night... for God's sake, pronounce our players' names correctly.

The eyes are (one of) the first thing(s) to go!       

G
EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 07:15:47 EDT »

It aint his eyes it is his liquor quotient that is going downhill......

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 07:32:37 EDT »

My biggest concern isn't that players names aren't being pronounced correctly, but that Bobby won't be around too much longer to mispronounce their names. The guy is an under-appreciated part of UT football. He's the John Ward of the P.A., for pete's sake. I'll forgive him a few mistakes. (After all, I'm pretty sure he still gets more names correct than Bob Kesling.) 

I have never been a huge fan.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 07:51:46 EDT »

Seriously??  I have always loved him. 
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 08:10:20 EDT »

Imo Bobby Denton is a big part of the Neyland experience.  I will be sad when he's no longer behind the mic. 
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 08:16:06 EDT »

Seriously??  I have always loved him. 

Yes seriously. I don't dislike him in any way and I suppose there will be a part of me that is nostalgic when he's gone, but I don't think he's very good. Replacing Bobby Denton will not be like replacing John Ward for me.

101stDad
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 08:39:36 EDT »

Me, neither.  To me Bobby Denton is the Larry Munson of SEC PA announcers, and I don't mean that in a complimentary way.

PA guys are there to tell you who carried the ball or made the pass and the catch, and who made the tackle and to introduce those who need to be introduced.  They are there to enhance what happens on the field, not to be commedians or try to upstage what is going on below them on the field, in my opinion. 

BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 09:04:11 EDT »

They are there to enhance what happens on the field, not to be commedians or try to upstage what is going on below them on the field, in my opinion. 

Like him or hate him, I don't think a description of Denton could be more inaccurate than this.
101stDad
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 09:09:48 EDT »

Like him or hate him, I don't think a description of Denton could be more inaccurate than this.

Man, I disagree 110%   

Third and the river?

Please pay these prices and please pay no more? 

He has taken what should very simply orated phrases and made them in to his own personal side show. 

If one goes to football games for the side show, then they probably like to hear his act.  If one goes for the football game, it probably annoys the hell out of them.

In any event, like the great John Ward said, "it's time".       
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 09:24:56 EDT »

Man, I disagree 110%   

Third and the river?

Please pay these prices and please pay no more? 

He has taken what should very simply orated phrases and made them in to his own personal side show. 

If one goes to football games for the side show, then they probably like to hear his act.  If one goes for the football game, it probably annoys the hell out of them.

In any event, like the great John Ward said, "it's time".       

One statement that he says during the PRE-game, more than a half hour before the game begins, and does it because it has been well received over the years by fans...and one statement made years ago. And that makes him an egotistical PA guy who tries to turn the attention away from the field and on himself? 
101stDad
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 09:30:46 EDT »

One statement that he says during the PRE-game, more than a half hour before the game begins, and does it because it has been well received over the years by fans...and one statement made years ago. And that makes him an egotistical PA guy who tries to turn the attention away from the field and on himself? 

No, those are examples of his PT Barnum act, and it continues throughout the game.   

Bottom line, he talks too much and doesn't give the basics enough.

Sounds like we'll have to disagree on this one. 
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2011, 09:39:01 EDT »

To be clear, I just don't think he's very good. My complaints are not the same as 101st Dad's. But everybody has a right to their opinion.

Salvador VOLi
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2011, 09:43:45 EDT »

I find it mind-boggling that he gets our own players name's wrong.  It appears to me that he walks in on game day without previously having seen our roster.  The Marion Walls thing was really embarrassing, but it is not the first nor will it be the last mispronunciation of one of our player's names.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2011, 09:52:08 EDT »

To say that Denton makes it his own personal sideshow is utterly ridiculous.  All he's doing is adding some flavor, some spice to the experience.

As if he's the only PA guy to ever mispronounce a name, gimme a break!  The things we complain about!
VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2011, 09:53:54 EDT »

To say that Denton makes it his own personal sideshow is utterly ridiculous.  All he's doing is adding some flavor, some spice to the experience.

As if he's the only PA guy to ever mispronounce a name, gimme a break!  The things we complain about!

This!  Who cares - we should be crying and wailing about no running game. 
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2011, 10:11:31 EDT »

It's not like he's trying to pronounce a hard to pronounce name or something... he repeatedly said "Marion Walls" all night long. That isn't a stumble or a slip of the tongue or anything like that.

I think it's unrealistic to expect perfection out of anybody in their job, but I don't think that repeated muffing of one of the easiest names on the roster should really go unnoticed and uncommented on. That's akin to laziness and likely the result of bad preparation, and it's not unrealistic to expect someone to do their job well.

UT fans spend a lot of time wanting to be big league so I think complaints about such things are warranted.

You sure are angry these days. You getting enough sleep? 

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2011, 10:12:36 EDT »

This!  Who cares - we should be crying and wailing about no running game. 

I complain about non-football stuff on Wednesdays. Hell the board is slow as molasses these days, we have to talk about something Vol related.

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2011, 10:15:27 EDT »

It's not like he's trying to pronounce a hard to pronounce name or something... he repeatedly said "Marion Walls" all night long. That isn't a stumble or a slip of the tongue or anything like that.

I think it's unrealistic to expect perfection out of anybody in their job, but I don't think that repeated muffing of one of the easiest names on the roster should really go unnoticed and uncommented on. That's akin to laziness and likely the result of bad preparation, and it's not unrealistic to expect someone to do their job well.

UT fans spend a lot of time wanting to be big league so I think complaints about such things are warranted.

You sure are angry these days. You getting enough sleep? 

My personal favorite was when he called Texas Tech the "Red Devils".

Personally, I think Bobby's incompetence (or inebriation...potato, potahto) adds a certain charm to our gameday experience, and I'll be sad to see him go.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2011, 10:17:10 EDT »

I'M NOT ANGRY!!!1!!11

I find that the things that I normally obsess about this time of year don't really matter as much at this time.  :-)
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2011, 10:19:40 EDT »

My personal favorite was when he called Texas Tech the "Red Devils".

Personally, I think Bobby's incompetence (or inebriation...potato, potahto) adds a certain charm to our gameday experience, and I'll be sad to see him go.

I think he was better when he was younger. I think he prepared better. I think he has always drank on the job and that I don't mind so much.

Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2011, 10:33:55 EDT »

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2011, 10:52:27 EDT »

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2011, 11:14:12 EDT »

My thoughts on this (useless) thread issue
I disagree with 101.  I do not think that Denton intentionaly intends to upstage the game.  The pregame ritual is one that I follow along with to this day.
The third and the river statement he got in trouble for but at the time I, and probably 90% of the stadium felt was funny and accurate as heck.  It made granny holtz stomp around some more and IMO that was a good thing!

If a poster thinks Denton is a grandstanding stadium announcer I'd like to introduce them to several different stadium announcers in the SEC, starting with the jerk at Williams Bryce, who really is in the same league as the hobnailed boot.  And it's another  to the jerk on the mike!  The uga and L$U stadium announcers aren't far behind.

However, IMO time has passed Denton by and he should step down.  He is having more and more difficulty with names and just following the game, though he is not near as bad as blob.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: