VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 07:23:19 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: To me the issue with Denton and Kesling is competency  (Read 27594 times)
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2011, 08:35:52 EDT »

Did you miss the part where he is the play by play caller for the Titans... 

Seriously, I have stepped down in money for a better gig before.  Money doesn't always equal more happiness. 

More money for less work doing a similar job and getting to live in your hometown which is the key part to my point.

If I were in his shoes I would take the Titans job and it has nothing to do with liking the Titans more than the Vols... it has to do with keeping mama happy in my case. She loves middle TN and doesn't care for East TN.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
10EC
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2011, 08:48:34 EDT »

More money for less work doing a similar job and getting to live in your hometown which is the key part to my point.

If I were in his shoes I would take the Titans job and it has nothing to do with liking the Titans more than the Vols... it has to do with keeping mama happy in my case. She loves middle TN and doesn't care for East TN.

The thing is... the Titans are Middle Tennessee.  They should have been named the Nashville Titans.  Tennessee truly is three different states in one. 
None seem to care much for the others.
VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2011, 08:58:45 EDT »

The thing is... the Titans are Middle Tennessee.  They should have been named the Nashville Titans.  Tennessee truly is three different states in one. 
Probably why I hate them.....that and the asshat fans insisting I root for them - while they preach at me wearing a stupid "got 13?" shirt.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2011, 09:56:38 EDT »

But they weren't.

FWIW I love middle TN and east TN.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
10EC
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2011, 10:26:19 EDT »

But they weren't.

Point?  Mine is they are not "Tennessee's" team.  They are Nashville's team.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2011, 10:37:25 EDT »

They're still the Oilers to me.  :-D
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2011, 10:41:37 EDT »

Except for a few holdouts who refuse to accept them because they still see them as Nashville's answer to UT football, that doesn't fly any more. I'm not a diehard Titans fan by any means, but Titan fandom far exceeds Nashville, or even Middle Tennessee. I'd be willing to bet that the number of people outside Nashville who root for them because they're in Tennessee far exceeds the number of people outside Nashville who won't root for them because they're in Nashville. That makes them Tennessee's team.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2011, 10:43:33 EDT »

They are named Tennessee Titans because they wanted the state's backing, not just Nashville's.
10EC
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2011, 10:44:55 EDT »

Except for a few holdouts who refuse to accept them because they still see them as Nashville's answer to UT football, that doesn't fly any more. I'm not a diehard Titans fan by any means, but Titan fandom far exceeds Nashville, or even Middle Tennessee. I'd be willing to bet that the number of people outside Nashville who root for them because they're in Tennessee far exceeds the number of people outside Nashville who won't root for them because they're in Nashville. That makes them Tennessee's team.
Not that it is scientific by any means, but I have listened to the Knoxville sports shows discuss this.  Callers are all over the board in who they root for in E. Tenn. (or at least Knoxville).  By no means are the overwhelmingly for the Titans.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2011, 10:47:00 EDT »

Not that it is scientific by any means, but I have listened to the Knoxville sports shows discuss this.  Callers are all over the board in who they root for in E. Tenn. (or at least Knoxville).  By no means are the overwhelmingly for the Titans.

Statistically insignificant.

10EC
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2011, 10:54:29 EDT »

Statistically insignificant.

I never said it was a poll.  Just saw a pattern. 

Has this ever been polled?
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2011, 11:11:44 EDT »

My point is that they are named the Tennessee Titans and anybody that is bothered by that is misplacing their energy. It's just a name. It means nothing as far as who the team "belongs to". I bet there are a ton of new englanders that don't like the Pats either but nobody bitches about that.

Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2011, 11:40:03 EDT »

gee thanks a lot.

But they weren't.

FWIW I love middle TN and east TN.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
TheRealOrange
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2011, 11:44:25 EDT »

But, then again, the Vols are not really Tennessee's team; they are UTK's team (there is UTC).  And, given the three Grand Divisions, Nashville has Vandy and Memphis has Memphis State (ok, Memphis University).  Historically, Memphis also has Ole Miss.  You will still see more Tigers and Rebels fans there than Vols fans.  I am not a Titans fan because I was an Eagles fan long ago before the Oilers moved to Memphis then Nashville.  But, I often find myself rooting for them, and my kids also root for them just because they are "Tennessee" and they have family in Tennessee.     It's all relative (so to speak).      
10EC
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2011, 12:15:41 EDT »

But, then again, the Vols are not really Tennessee's team; they are UTK's team (there is UTC).  And, given the three Grand Divisions, Nashville has Vandy and Memphis has Memphis State (ok, Memphis University).  Historically, Memphis also has Ole Miss.  You will still see more Tigers and Rebels fans there than Vols fans.  I am not a Titans fan because I was an Eagles fan long ago before the Oilers moved to Memphis then Nashville.  But, I often find myself rooting for them, and my kids also root for them just because they are "Tennessee" and they have family in Tennessee.    It's all relative (so to speak).    

Good point.  Mine might be a time bound point.  Maybe kids today growing up are more inclined to be Titans fans b/c of "Tennessee".  I think adults in Nashville were much more inclined to be become Titans fans b/c they are in Nashville and that is where they play.  Adults in E. Tenn were less inclined b/c they are in Nashville and they already had allegencies.  The name of "Tennessee" Titans did not change their allegency
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 12:19:41 EDT by 10EC » Logged
CobbWebb
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2011, 12:50:17 EDT »

I am not a fan of the Titans. With that said, I do not root against them either. If the Titans do well, great. If not, no lost sleep here.

I grew up pulling for the Cowboys. It has been a long, long time since the Cowboys were any good and I still pull for the Cowboys. Others pull for the Falcons and have all their lives. Just because a team arrived and called themselves the Tennessee Titans was no reason for fans of other teams to jump ship.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2011, 12:56:12 EDT »

I am not a fan of the Titans. With that said, I do not root against them either. If the Titans do well, great. If not, no lost sleep here.

I grew up pulling for the Cowboys. It has been a long, long time since the Cowboys were any good and I still pull for the Cowboys. Others pull for the Falcons and have all their lives. Just because a team arrived and called themselves the Tennessee Titans was no reason for fans of other teams to jump ship.

It wasn't necessarily a reason for fans of other teams to jump ship, but that doesn't mean that fans of other teams were wrong to switch allegiances from teams that they liked before.

CobbWebb
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2011, 01:02:10 EDT »

To each his own. However, many, including a certain resident VTTW Titans sunshine pumper, insist that true Tennesseans must pull for the Titans. Why, just the other day he or she said as much.

I think that is why there is some recoil when this subject comes up from time to time.

CW
It wasn't necessarily a reason for fans of other teams to jump ship, but that doesn't mean that fans of other teams were wrong to switch allegiances from teams that they liked before.
VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2011, 01:13:28 EDT »

To each his own. However, many, including a certain resident VTTW Titans sunshine pumper, insist that true Tennesseans must pull for the Titans. Why, just the other day he or she said as much.

I think that is why there is some recoil when this subject comes up from time to time.

CW

That is bait directed toward me. Wailing Vol tries very hard to engage me in nonsense.
CobbWebb
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2011, 01:15:49 EDT »

I'm thinking of someone else. But who it is is not important.

CW
That is bait directed toward me. Wailing Vol tries very hard to engage me in nonsense.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2011, 01:45:31 EDT »

I grew up pulling for the Cowboys. It has been a long, long time since the Cowboys were any good and I still pull for the Cowboys.

+1
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2011, 02:30:19 EDT »

I'm thinking of someone else. But who it is is not important.

CW

Wailing Vol and Smokey Joe are the same person.

I've said it before, especially to Lyn... The majority of Titan fans are not that way and a very large contingent of Titan fans are also Vol fans.

VoLynteer
Heisman

One klassy lady

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2011, 02:40:10 EDT »

Wailing Vol and Smokey Joe are the same person.

I've said it before, especially to Lyn... The majority of Titan fans are not that way and a very large contingent of Titan fans are also Vol fans.
All it takes is one.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2011, 03:25:12 EDT »

All it takes is one.

OK.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2011, 03:36:29 EDT »

I like the Titans and I don't even live in Tennessee anymore, although they are the closest team.  But then again, my NFL allegiances are multiple anyway.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: