VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 02:54:15 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How freakin' petty is Texas?  (Read 5922 times)
BigOrange Maniac
« on: September 08, 2011, 07:56:13 EDT »

According to ESPN, Texas and TTU are joining Baylor in reneging on their promise not to pursue legal action against the SEC if TAMU leaves the Big 12.

It's been only one year since Texas held the entire Big 12 hostage while they flirted with the Pac 10 to get the lucrative TV money they wanted. It was okay for them to do that but now it's not okay for TAMU to leave? Not to mention the fact that Texas started this entire ordeal with their greed. Everyone knew this day would be inevitable. They're the richest team in college football but they're once again prepared to hold the entire sport captive to satisfy their greed.

God help me if I ever decide to root for Texas in another game. Greedy, petty bastages.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 07:58:17 EDT »

Clay Travis tweeted the same thing and has Aggie and Whorn people correcting him, saying that they WILL NOT sue the SEC.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Oldvol75
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 08:23:40 EDT »

Supposedly they have signed the waiver to let A&M leave.

God “The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the external rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained.” from George Washington’s first Inaugural address.
73Volgrad
All-SEC

This is me on Liberty Island weekend before 9-11

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 01:49:45 EDT »

All the schools are doing is refusing to sign the waiver not to sue.  They are not threatening to sue.  Since SEC said they would not admit aTm unless Big 12 signed a hold harmless waiver, they can hold the admittance up without having to sue.  This is not about aTm as much as the Big 12 schools looking to go to PAC-12.

This is a power play by the lesser schools to keep Oklahoma in Big 12 and add BYU.  Baylor and the little sisters know Big 12 folds if Oklahoma leaves.
CobbWebb
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 02:39:37 EDT »

I'm disgusted by all this talk of expansion. I wish that aTm would stay the hell out of the SEC. We do not need them. It's not progress, it's simply greed. Let them stay in the southwest and deal with their problems. The SEC is the king of college football. We do not need a larger viewing audience. Screw them all.

CW
CobbWebb
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 02:41:43 EDT »

IF expansion is inevitable, I would rather that we add teams that are closer to home. "Oh, but we already have those markets". F&$! the markets! And to hell with all these new uniforms.

What is happening to this great sport?

CW
XHotlanta
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 02:45:38 EDT »

What is happening to this great sport?

Same thing that happened to baseball ... big $$$ is killing it, and fast.

I absolutely hate baseball now ('cept for the World Series of course!).  I hope I never lose my desire to watch a LOT of college football, but sometimes I wonder about it. 
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 03:28:06 EDT »

Here is what I think. If Baylor is holding things up, offer THEM!  They can balance Vandy in the East (while having more tradition, FWIW, at least relatively recent tradition).  Hey, we have enough powerhouses as it is.  Why not bring in another p#ssy school??   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 03:31:45 EDT »

Meant to add....those of you freaking out over the uniforms, I don't get it.  They are just uniforms. I don't care for most of them.  I didn't like the NFL changing uniforms either, but then I realized they had changed from the 60s uniforms to the one I recognized when I started following the NFL in 1979.  So I guess it's an ongoing thing.  College uniforms have been more stable, but they HAVE changed...even our own beloved Vols have had changes before.  I don't see it as a big deal, and definitely not the end of the sport!  LOL.  Let's not get carried away here.

That said, I think there are some truly hideous uniforms out there and I think the whole thing is stupid.  But not the end of college football.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 03:54:05 EDT »

Here is what I think. If Baylor is holding things up, offer THEM!  They can balance Vandy in the East (while having more tradition, FWIW, at least relatively recent tradition).  Hey, we have enough powerhouses as it is.  Why not bring in another p#ssy school??   

Can't....our ushers wear green. I'm sure that we'd all get in a tizzy about what new neutral color the ushers would wear if we brought in a team with green.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 04:00:43 EDT »

Here is what I think. If Baylor is holding things up, offer THEM!  They can balance Vandy in the East (while having more tradition, FWIW, at least relatively recent tradition).  Hey, we have enough powerhouses as it is.  Why not bring in another p#ssy school??  

Someone said the same thing on VQ the other day.  And I'll respond here the same way I did there:  The SEC won't offer Baylor for the same reason the Rockettes won't offer Janet Reno.  

Besides, why in the hell would we actually REWARD them for acting like spoiled brats, and basically extorting us?  We don't need anymore welfare whores in the league.  We'll continue to thrive, eventually with A&M in the fold, and they'll have to fend for themselves in the Sun Belt or worse.  fizzle them.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 08:05:34 EDT »

Someone said the same thing on VQ the other day.  And I'll respond here the same way I did there:  The SEC won't offer Baylor for the same reason the Rockettes won't offer Janet Reno.  

Besides, why in the hell would we actually REWARD them for acting like spoiled brats, and basically extorting us?  We don't need anymore welfare whores in the league.  We'll continue to thrive, eventually with A&M in the fold, and they'll have to fend for themselves in the Sun Belt or worse.  fizzle them.

Yeah, my suggestion was half joking.  I don't want a 13-team conference either though.  Would not work.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2011, 08:24:04 EDT »

Hammer, meet nail

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2011, 01:39:26 EDT »

I hear you on your opinion that they look like Janet Reno.  I have a more nuanced view.  They may not bring much in the way of revenue, but they do bring academic credentials and that is important to the Presidents.   I would rather have a traditional football power but we have plenty of that and in a way a weaker team is more balanced.  I understand your POV though.  And again, my suggestion was only half-serious.  The main thing I am getting at is this is a short cut to finding the 14th team if we want to expedite it, and it makes A TYPE of sense whether you think it's a good idea or not.

As for your comments about not "rewarding them for acting like spoiled brats", I  don't subscribe to that.  It's a typical emotional response similar to the people who get upset because some reporter does not "
respect he SEC enough" or "disses Tennessee".   I could give a crap about any of that. Baylor is looking out for their own BUSINESS bottom line.  So we could make them a BUSINESS offer that they cannot refuse.  It doesn't hurt my feelings or make me upset because they are holding things up because I recognize they are only looking out for themselves, and I expect them to do so.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: