VTTW Board Index
April 25, 2024, 05:46:54 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sounds like Devrin Young  (Read 28179 times)
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 13, 2011, 11:35:58 EDT »

May be fielding punts on Sat.

I'm all for not coaching scared, but even I'm not sure about him returning punts for the first time at this level... In Gainesville.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 12:22:08 EDT »

...or it's just sowing misinformation. I dunno. For some reason I'm not consulted on these things.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 04:11:38 EDT »

Book it, Young is back to receive punts Saturday.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 05:46:03 EDT »

why not? It's what he was recruited to do. If he can do it, let him do it. Our other option is also a true freshman, Lane.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 04:49:26 EDT »

Dooley's track record on this is sketchy at best.  It seems we struggled at this last year.  I thought we would never find anyone reliable.  And now he wants to throw in a rook in the swamp?  Do not like.

If he had uncovered a jewel in the rough last year, I would think it was a great idea.  I am going by the track record.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 04:51:08 EDT »

THIS

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2010/nov/25/punt-troubles-still-a-concern-for-ut/

I would rather he not

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 05:17:06 EDT »

Dooley's track record on this is sketchy at best.  It seems we struggled at this last year.  I thought we would never find anyone reliable.  And now he wants to throw in a rook in the swamp?  Do not like.

If he had uncovered a jewel in the rough last year, I would think it was a great idea.  I am going by the track record.

It's going to be a freshman no matter what, you realize that right?

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 05:29:24 EDT »

Three points:

1. Fans always used to complain that Fulmer wouldn't play all of those talented freshmen that he recruited. Well, here you go.

2. Isn't the team mostly freshmen? (OK, I know it's not. But sometimes it seems that way.)

3. Could this guy be any worse?
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 06:25:19 EDT »

It's going to be a freshman no matter what, you realize that right?

Beside the point.  Is Lane injured?  He didn't muff any punts vs. Cincinatti or kick returns either.  Put him back there.

Or if you want Young to return punts, put him in against a Big East patsy ahead by 21, not against the gators in the swamp. 

Why fix something that is not broke...against the gators in the swamp?  Do not like.

Like I said, without our struggles last year, I would not give a shizzle.  But we were simply horrible at this last year.  Don't fizzle with it!   

bUTros bUTros-VOLlie
Special Teamer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 07:49:01 EDT »

It must be one of three (or, four?) things:
Our coaching staff thinks Florida won't punt, so it doesn't matter who is scheduled to return them.
Our coaching staff has watched Florida's punt team and likes the odds better with Devrin.
Our coaching staff doesn't see anybody better on our roster right now no matter who we are playing.

(or, four?) Our coaching staff thinks Florida's punter will play right into our hands and kick it deep for two long returns by DY...one for a TD.  I like option "or, four?".              

Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their Orange. - Qwerty Vol Underwood
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 11:14:49 EDT »

Beside the point.  Is Lane injured?  He didn't muff any punts vs. Cincinatti or kick returns either.  Put him back there.

Or if you want Young to return punts, put him in against a Big East patsy ahead by 21, not against the gators in the swamp. 

Why fix something that is not broke...against the gators in the swamp?  Do not like.

Like I said, without our struggles last year, I would not give a shizzle.  But we were simply horrible at this last year.  Don't fizzle with it!   

But he did muff one vs. Montana.

IMO if Dooley thinks Young is the guy for the job, he should put Young back there, and droner's point number one is exactly why I think so.

I agree that it's a risky move, bit that's one of the spots we're in with the talent level on the team.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 01:17:23 EDT »

It's true it will be a freshman either way, but to me a freshman who's seen significant gameday action for two whole games and one who's never played a second of cfb are two diff. Things.  Is Young even 80% healthy?  It just makes me nervous.  If it were me I'd wait until Buffalo.

But DD is the coach, so I'm gonna roll with him.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2011, 01:53:47 EDT »

It's true it will be a freshman either way, but to me a freshman who's seen significant gameday action for two whole games and one who's never played a second of cfb are two diff. Things.  Is Young even 80% healthy?  It just makes me nervous.  If it were me I'd wait until Buffalo.

But DD is the coach, so I'm gonna roll with him.

It may be all misinformation anyway.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2011, 02:26:27 EDT »

True.  Give them one more thing to think about.
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2011, 02:29:48 EDT »

Dooley:

"I told him I would probably be called the dumbest coach in college football if I put him back there in The Swamp."

"But I'm thinking about it, yeah. It isn't the first dumb thing I've done, so I'm not scared. I don't have to catch it." 
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2011, 03:30:24 EDT »

Dooley:

"I told him I would probably be called the dumbest coach in college football if I put him back there in The Swamp."

"But I'm thinking about it, yeah. It isn't the first dumb thing I've done, so I'm not scared. I don't have to catch it." 
That comment told me that Young will be back for punts Saturday.  I believe that he was recruited primarily for special teams.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2011, 03:57:06 EDT »

Dooley:

He actually said that?  LOL!  Well then, I agree with all of it. Too funny....

That one could come back to haunt him. 

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2011, 04:09:33 EDT »

Or maybe it will depend on the flow of the game. 

I can see Lane being sent in for the first PR, as he's done it in a game already.  Then maybe if it's favorable from a field position standpoint (I.e. Our return man isn't standin on his own 5 yd line) or if Dooley thinks we need a spark, then he gives Young a shot.

Or if Lane has muffed two punts and is benched...
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2011, 05:10:08 EDT »

He's not 80%, he was pretty much 100% this week, and played as the scout team RB.  Reportedly, he has fielded punts well, and is a natural at punt returns. That is what he was recruited to do.

Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2011, 05:15:02 EDT »

He's not 80%, he was pretty much 100% this week, and played as the scout team RB.  Reportedly, he has fielded punts well, and is a natural at punt returns. That is what he was recruited to do.

Yep. I think he plays, and I'm not so much worried about him fielding the punt as taking a direct, hard hit in the vicinity of that collarbone. Obviously he's got some little waterbug qualities that you like in a punt returner but Dooley has said more than anything that he likes him because he fields the ball cleanly. I doubt that changes with the injury or environment unless he's afraid to get hurt again.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2011, 05:19:42 EDT »

How satisfying would it be for him to take a couple of punts to the house in Gainesville?
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2011, 05:26:52 EDT »

How satisfying would it be for him to take a couple of punts to the house in Gainesville?

would be epic, and make him an instant cult hero

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2011, 05:27:50 EDT »

Yep. I think he plays, and I'm not so much worried about him fielding the punt as taking a direct, hard hit in the vicinity of that collarbone. Obviously he's got some little waterbug qualities that you like in a punt returner but Dooley has said more than anything that he likes him because he fields the ball cleanly. I doubt that changes with the injury or environment unless he's afraid to get hurt again.

I don't think he is afraid. In fact, when I see his videos, the word "fearless" comes to mind.

Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2011, 05:32:31 EDT »

Dooley has said more than anything that he likes him because he fields the ball cleanly.

You have the choice of two freshmen. Lane has two CFB games experience with 1 muff. Young has no experience but catches the ball cleanly (and apparently consistently based on the comment).

I go with Young.  If he can catch at least as well as Lane (but prolly better) and he can scoot and scat, then I say play him.
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2011, 05:39:02 EDT »

You can't play or coach scared. If he was going to be the PR all along then I see no reason why he can't do it now. We don't have any experience to speak of with anyone fielding punts, let alone good experience.

I trust Dooley.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: