VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 10:48:33 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sounds like Devrin Young  (Read 27925 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2011, 01:59:44 EDT »

Well if Dooley is going to say things like that, then I change my thinking.  My fear is now overiden by my desire to see what happens.

Unlike some of you, I do NOT trust Dooley's judgement on this.  I would assume that as HC he approves the punt returners, or at least I hope so.   He pretty much picked some stinkers last year, and now he's throwing in a true frosh in the swamp.  On the surface, as he himself says, this is an INCREDIBLY stupid thing to do.

I would love to be wrong though.

So fizzle it.  Put him in.  Let's see what happens.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2011, 05:17:58 EDT »

Well if Dooley is going to say things like that, then I change my thinking.  My fear is now overiden by my desire to see what happens.

Unlike some of you, I do NOT trust Dooley's judgement on this.  I would assume that as HC he approves the punt returners, or at least I hope so.   He pretty much picked some stinkers last year, and now he's throwing in a true frosh in the swamp.  On the surface, as he himself says, this is an INCREDIBLY stupid thing to do.

I would love to be wrong though.

So fizzle it.  Put him in.  Let's see what happens.   

Since he tried about 10 people back there last year, I think it's on the players who weren't catching it, not the coach who was picking them. Even Gerald Jones who had been reliable previously had a muff I think (plus he was hurt for the first part of the year). I just don't think they had any natural punt catchers on the team and that's why I think we are seeing freshmen do it now.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2011, 06:29:13 EDT »

Since he tried about 10 people back there last year, I think it's on the players who weren't catching it, not the coach who was picking them. Even Gerald Jones who had been reliable previously had a muff I think (plus he was hurt for the first part of the year). I just don't think they had any natural punt catchers on the team and that's why I think we are seeing freshmen do it now.

I don't agree.  Everything is ultimately the responsibility of the coach.   Is it possible that Dooley has some anxiety about the punt returners that he transmitted to the team?  Who knows.  What is true is that we SUCKED at this last year.  Now is not the time to experiment!

It reminds me of some of Fulmer's bonehead moves.  In 1994, Aaron Hayden fumbled twice vs. MSU and Fulmer left him in.  He promptly proceeded to fumble TWICE MORE and DEFINITELY cost us the game.  What makes that even more of a head scratcher is that we didn't even need him...he split carries with James Stewart, who was just as good as Hayden.  Why in the fizzle did Fulmer leave him in?

Another example....Terry Fair fumbled TWO punts vs. Auburn in the 1997 SECC.  Fulmer let him continue vs. Nebraska in the bowl game...and he promptly fumbled the first kick he caught! 

Sometimes a move is so glaringly bad that it shouild just be avoided.   This may or may not fall into that category, but I dont like it.  It's far more likely to bite us in the ass than help. IMO.

We will find out soon enough!  Or not. 

At this point I almost want to see what happens, as I mention above.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2011, 01:25:33 EDT »

Coach Dooley has an advantage over us Joe Schmoes in that he's actually at practice everyday developing and evaluating players.  To trust our own judgement over his is kind of ridiculous. Some will say that we should put him in and others will say that we shouldn't.  Either way, some of us will be right and some of us will be wrong in our guesses.

That will make it convenient for some of us to say, "See? I knew better than the coach." But in reality, all we are doing is making a guess about whether or not the decisions of the coach will be successful. 

Personally, I do trust Dooley to make the decision. I'll decide afterwards if it was a good one or not.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2011, 02:07:42 EDT »

I don't agree.  Everything is ultimately the responsibility of the coach.   Is it possible that Dooley has some anxiety about the punt returners that he transmitted to the team?  Who knows.  What is true is that we SUCKED at this last year.  Now is not the time to experiment!

It reminds me of some of Fulmer's bonehead moves.  In 1994, Aaron Hayden fumbled twice vs. MSU and Fulmer left him in.  He promptly proceeded to fumble TWICE MORE and DEFINITELY cost us the game.  What makes that even more of a head scratcher is that we didn't even need him...he split carries with James Stewart, who was just as good as Hayden.  Why in the fizzle did Fulmer leave him in?

Another example....Terry Fair fumbled TWO punts vs. Auburn in the 1997 SECC.  Fulmer let him continue vs. Nebraska in the bowl game...and he promptly fumbled the first kick he caught!  

Sometimes a move is so glaringly bad that it shouild just be avoided.   This may or may not fall into that category, but I dont like it.  It's far more likely to bite us in the ass than help. IMO.

We will find out soon enough!  Or not.  

At this point I almost want to see what happens, as I mention above.  

Now hold on a minute.  To that point, the Orange Bowl that year might have been the most important bowl game we had ever played in.  Had things fallen right elsewhere, we could've won a NC had we beaten Nebraska.  Are you actually saying that you would've sat our two-time All-American return guy because he had a bad game five weeks before in the SECC?  IIRC, Peyton Manning had a rough outing against Vandy that year, too.  Would you have sat him for the next one?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 02:12:45 EDT by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2011, 02:18:28 EDT »

Young's response to Dooley:  "That's what you signed me for!"

Perfect response IMO.

I state again, Young will be back to return punts Saturday.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Crockett
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2011, 04:26:05 EDT »

I'm not sure this is a bad idea. Fielding punts is all about confidence. Technically, it isn't that hard. Mentally....another question. Sometimes, you take a young guy with some natural running ability and give him this one job and he will do a good job. As we've seen, even an upper classman can screw it up. Sometimes it's because they've got other things running around in their head. It's a judgement call. I trust the coaches to know whether this kid is mentally tough enough to do the job.

My worry is that UF will try a fake on him by throwing a pass and he may not be tall enough to see what is going on nor know what to look for. It's sure what I'd be thinking if I was UF.

Crockett
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2011, 04:29:47 EDT »

Who knows, he may be our Brandon James.
10EC
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2011, 04:32:24 EDT »

Fielding punts is all about confidence. Technically, it isn't that hard. Mentally....another question.

I thnik we ought to hire Dale Carter  to teach guts
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2011, 04:36:48 EDT »

I thnik we ought to hire Dale Carter  to teach guts

By "guts" I'm assuming you mean, "get coked up before the game where you don't give a shizzle about anything that's going on"?

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2011, 04:40:12 EDT »

Now hold on a minute.  To that point, the Orange Bowl that year might have been the most important bowl game we had ever played in.  Had things fallen right elsewhere, we could've won a NC had we beaten Nebraska.  Are you actually saying that you would've sat our two-time All-American return guy because he had a bad game five weeks before in the SECC?  IIRC, Peyton Manning had a rough outing against Vandy that year, too.  Would you have sat him for the next one?

Absolutely.  I was at the SECC when he tried to give the game to Auburn, and I nearly threw something at the TV when he did it vs. Nebraska.

We had plenty of other options.

10EC
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2011, 05:08:58 EDT »

By "guts" I'm assuming you mean, "get coked up before the game where you don't give a shizzle about anything that's going on"?

damn you... he was one of my vol heros.... you just destroyed that in one post....   
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2011, 05:38:01 EDT »

damn you... he was one of my vol heros.... you just destroyed that in one post....   

I honestly don't know for a fact that he played coked up at UT, but he had a real problem with coke shortly after he left UT to go to the NFL.

10EC
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2011, 05:47:09 EDT »

I honestly don't know for a fact that he played coked up at UT, but he had a real problem with coke shortly after he left UT to go to the NFL.

Given that he would field punts (w/o fair catch) when someone was 5 feet from him.... you are probably right.  But still..... crap
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2011, 03:02:49 EDT »

Absolutely.  I was at the SECC when he tried to give the game to Auburn, and I nearly threw something at the TV when he did it vs. Nebraska.

We had plenty of other options.

So you would've sat Terry Fair, our best returner of the past 15 years (at least) for someone who had no experience fielding kicks in what could've been a NC game, but you have a problem with playing Devrin Young in a regular season game in September?

I'm not trying to be a smartass, just trying to understand your logic here.

CobbWebb
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2011, 04:34:27 EDT »

Fulmer would never have been this bold. That's all I need to know. Go Devrin! Go Vols!

CW
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2011, 05:30:02 EDT »

Fulmer would never have been this bold. That's all I need to know. Go Devrin! Go Vols!

CW

^^^This
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2011, 03:40:41 EDT »

So you would've sat Terry Fair, our best returner of the past 15 years (at least) for someone who had no experience fielding kicks in what could've been a NC game, but you have a problem with playing Devrin Young in a regular season game in September?

I'm not trying to be a smartass, just trying to understand your logic here.

Not just yes but hell yes.  Fair should have sat.  I saw his two muffs live in the secc. They were awful.  Fulmer never would sit unerprrforkers quickly enough.  That was one of his weaknesses.   Dooley appears to be a horrible judge of punt returnerd.  That's his weakness. Different coaches different weaknesses.   Get it?

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2011, 05:08:37 EDT »

Not just yes but hell yes.  Fair should have sat.  I saw his two muffs live in the secc. They were awful.  Fulmer never would sit unerprrforkers quickly enough.  That was one of his weaknesses.   Dooley appears to be a horrible judge of punt returnerd.  That's his weakness. Different coaches different weaknesses.   Get it?

Not that it matters...  but I'm totally not with ya on this one.  I don't think there's any way you can say Dooley appears to be a horrible judge of punt returners two games into his second year.  This is before we've even seen Devrin Young, the one guy Dooley has recruited solely for this purpose.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2011, 05:14:19 EDT »

Not that it matters...  but I'm totally not with ya on this one.  I don't think there's any way you can say Dooley appears to be a horrible judge of punt returners two games into his second year.  This is before we've even seen Devrin Young, the one guy Dooley has recruited solely for this purpose.

7 miffs or fumbles last year 10 different returnees is horrible period dot.

But.. I really do hope u are right. I hope devon young is the new Willie gault.  I hope he is.  I stillthink thus is a stupid move tho

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2011, 05:16:22 EDT »

CW

No but he could occassoinsly be this stupid 

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2011, 05:29:21 EDT »

7 miffs or fumbles last year 10 different returnees is horrible period dot.

But.. I really do hope u are right. I hope devon young is the new Willie gault.  I hope he is.  I stillthink thus is a stupid move tho

I'm not totally sure about it either, as I've stated in this thread.

But I guess I'm just trying to believe that Dooley's going to let it all hang out and coach without fear.  Gotta believe that's going to rub off on the players, and they're not going to be so uptight like we've known them to be vs. UF over the years.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2011, 05:32:19 EDT »

But I guess I'm just trying to believe that Dooley's going to let it all hang out and coach without fear.  Gotta believe that's going to rub off on the players, and they're not going to be so uptight like we've known them to be vs. UF over the years.
As I noted before, Dooley has a pair of grade A large ones. Fear?  The other coach's problem.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2011, 08:14:43 EDT »

x

Well I'm happy about that also. Whatever happens I hope works

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: