VTTW Board Index
April 19, 2024, 05:26:46 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How would you play defense against the Vols?  (Read 7591 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 14, 2011, 08:46:43 EDT »

What does FL do? Do they

1 - Play base 4-3, double team Hunter, and try to get pressure with 4?
2 - Send Lbs or safeties on blitzes, leaving WRs and TEs open, hoping to pressure Bray?
3 - zone blitz?

I think they have a big quandry on defense. We have TWO highly talented WRs that are a mismatch for their secondary. We have TE's who can catch and move the ball. We have a RB who can catch out of the backfield. We have a red hot QB with the talent to get them the ball. I think we give them a lot of problems on defense. FL has to get pressure on Bray, IMO to slow us down. The question is, whatis their strategy to do this? How would YOU play the vols if you were the DC?
RockyMtnVol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 09:01:09 EDT »

1. Assume I can stop the run with any configuration.
2. Disguise, confuse & force quick decisions.  Drop linemen back to cover quick dumps.  A few mistakes can destroy the kid's confidence.
VOLMAN
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 09:03:45 EDT »

given enough time that he will find a receiver and keep the chains moving or score a quick strike. I don't see how they can do anything but attempt to pressure Bray and disrupt his mechanics and/or reads. Our run game hasn't demonstrated that is effective enough to sustain the offense in and of itself. I feel our chances lie with how well our OL and backs can prevent their blitz packages from succeeding and/or Chaney's ability to devise answers for the blitz which will allow Bray to recognize from where the blitz is coming and have an available receiver which he can quickly dump the ball to.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 09:06:14 EDT »

Pray.  ;-)
Ridge Runner
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 09:10:28 EDT »

I would start just rushing 4 with an occasional blitz to throw things off. If you can't get pressure with just the DL, then you send more.
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 10:43:29 EDT »

I would start just rushing 4 with an occasional blitz to throw things off. If you can't get pressure with just the DL, then you send more.

That is my thinking as well. Nothing so far indicates they will need to bring their safeties down in the box to stop the run. They can stay in the two deep to keep our guys from getting over the top. If we can can consistently block their 4 or 5 we will be in good shape offensively passing. If not we lose our any edge we may have. Hunter and Rogers will be pressed at the line to disrupt routes and timing regardless if they play zone or man or I would try it.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 12:53:59 EDT »

I think you are correct.  The key for us is to stay ahead of down and distance so we can keep all options open and keep the defense guesing.  We have demonstrated throwing effectively out of the 2 TE set, which really limits the defense's options.  If they start have some effectiveness against us look for us to go 2 TE.

I believe they will attempt to disguise their coverages and zone blitz.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
LouisVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 01:24:40 EDT »

all the above.  Muschamp will switch it up, especially if we get rolling.  When Bradford was at OK, Texas brought the house, especially in critical downs, other times sat back in two deep.  I expect he will do whatever he thinks will disrupt any rhythm Bray/receivers develop.
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 01:26:30 EDT »

I would play a three man line and force Tennessee to run the football

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 01:33:58 EDT »

I would put 9-10 in the box and sell out to stop the run.  Make the rookie QB beat you.  Now quick, someone inform Muschamp of this foolproof strategy. 

SmokeyJoe
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 01:47:08 EDT »

Can our D win it with an int?  Sure they can!   
SmokeyJoe
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 02:21:22 EDT »

Seriously, if I was muschamp, I would be very multiple on D.    
CobbWebb
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2011, 02:30:13 EDT »

There is no quandry, pressure from the middle and force Bray to throw on the run. It's that simple. If they cannot get pressure from their interior d line, they might be in for a long day.

CW
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2011, 04:13:21 EDT »

Allegedly our line is good at protecting the passer.  We will find out shortly if that's the case against an SEC line.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Quasi EVol
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2011, 06:03:04 EDT »

If I was Florida, I'd call the Cheeseburger Charlie Camera Corps to record Vol practices.
JimmyV
Special Teamer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2011, 11:05:01 EDT »

Bring pressure with your front 4, running lots of twist and stunts. Switch to a lot of different coverages to confuse Bray. Bring blitzes at key times, but don't blitz too much.

This only works if the UF front four can bring pressure without blitzing. So whoever has the better hosses up front win this battle
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2011, 01:36:02 EDT »

Basically make us prove the run then adjust accordingly. I would never move double coverage off of Hunter, however.
Crockett
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2011, 04:47:44 EDT »

It will depend on who scores first. I would think Muschamp has seen what Rodgers/Hunter/Rivera will do to a defense so he will start out with cover 2 and hope his 7 can win the battle up front. If we get ahead or if we start to establish the running game, he'll have to put pressure on Bray.

What a change in the way we used to be, huh? Remember when all you had to do was stop the run game and we would refuse to pass our way out of 9 in the box a la Auburn 2003. Whether it's in war or sports, always hit them where they are weakest.

Crockett
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: