VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 01:37:19 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Some UT fans are definitely getting ahead of themselves  (Read 8055 times)
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 15, 2011, 05:56:42 EDT »

GatorTrekE on the VS mentioned this a little while ago. Local sports talk has been flooded with calls from fans who seem nearly certain of a win this weekend, and I think any reasonable observer would think that's an indefensible position. Such confidence among the fans usually makes me nervous, and I guess it's doing it again.

BUT . . .

It's incredibly nice to feel good about the team and see other fans starting to feel better and better about it, even if they are running off beyond logic and reason. Sports talk has been too often dominated by the depressed and the naysayers and the numb among the fanbase the last few years, and I'm relieved that there is some feeling back in the limbs of UT fans. If we win, the irrationality will go through the roof and maybe at that point I will stop being encouraged by it, but for now . . . it's just good to hear optimism.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 06:08:11 EDT »

I'm thinking Tennessee will play a good game but fall short(35-28). Tennessee is improved but is not there yet. I think Tennessee will go 8-4 with losses to Florida,Alabama,LSU and South Carolina. I'll be happy with 8 wins,it's means good progress is happening in the program. 2012 Tennessee will be serious contenders in the SEC East
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 06:12:03 EDT by ChatsworthVol » Logged

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 06:10:24 EDT »

I'm not surprised that TN fans have taken it too far... And I'm not surprised the VS is talking about how TN fans are going too far.

Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 06:13:00 EDT »

Its just been so long since we had anything to feel good about, I can see why people are losing their minds. I will wait until we actually win a big game before I get too excited but I am hopeful for the 1st time in a while and it feels good.  
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 06:13:49 EDT »

They would do that regardless. 

I'm not surprised that TN fans have taken it too far... And I'm not surprised the VS is talking about how TN fans are going too far.

CobbWebb
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 07:05:26 EDT »

Of course that is what a Gator would report on a Gator message board. Funny, I listen to talk radio in Chattanooga, both local and the ESPN affiliate, and it has been a very measured response by UT fans. More of a "prove it on the field first" attitude.

He's just setting up the big Gotcha! in case his Gators win. Please.

CW
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 07:09:03 EDT »

Of course that is what a Gator would report on a Gator message board. Funny, I listen to talk radio in Chattanooga, both local and the ESPN affiliate, and it has been a very measured response by UT fans. More of a "prove it on the field first" attitude.

He's just setting up the big Gotcha! in case his Gators win. Please.

CW

He's right though. I've been listening to the same shows. I think most UT fans have reasonable expectations, but those are not the ones who call Doc and Jeff here in Knoxville (and GatorTrekE lives here). The fans that call that show couldn't name 5 UF players, and I'm not sure the hosts could either. The show is practically unlistenable even when you're starving for UT football chatter.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 07:41:26 EDT »

On my drive to work, I toggle back and forthe between the Sportsanimal and ESPN radio.  I've come to realize that I would rather listen to commercials on ESPN radio than Doc, Jeff, and Heather.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 08:05:39 EDT »

IMO the quality of callers reflects the quality of the show.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 08:12:12 EDT »

IMO the quality of callers reflects the quality of the show.

Yep, very true. Not that John Wilkerson and Jimmy Hyams are setting the world on fire with their knowledge in the afternoons, but the difference in the callers from the morning show to their show is night and day. You still get horrible calls but you get some intelligent questions and comments mixed in. The next time I hear an intelligent comment on the morning show will be the first, and that's from hosts and callers.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 08:26:15 EDT »

Whether the UT fans take it too far or the Gator fans think we have won't have any effect on the game.

CobbWebb
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 10:00:50 EDT »

Okay, but the implication is that most UT fans are thinking that we have this one in the bag which is hardly the case. So a few bozos call in and say we are going to kick their butts...yep, that's representative of the Vol Nation.

I know that he lives in Knoxville and I saw his post on their message board.
 If we do whip them, I wonder if he will admit that most UT fans expected it and that they were right?

CW

He's right though. I've been listening to the same shows. I think most UT fans have reasonable expectations, but those are not the ones who call Doc and Jeff here in Knoxville (and GatorTrekE lives here). The fans that call that show couldn't name 5 UF players, and I'm not sure the hosts could either. The show is practically unlistenable even when you're starving for UT football chatter.
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2011, 10:12:40 EDT »

Okay, but the implication is that most UT fans are thinking that we have this one in the bag which is hardly the case. So a few bozos call in and say we are going to kick their butts...yep, that's representative of the Vol Nation.

I know that he lives in Knoxville and I saw his post on their message board.
 If we do whip them, I wonder if he will admit that most UT fans expected it and that they were right?

CW

Heh. I'd expect not, but this wasn't really the point of my post.   

CobbWebb
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2011, 10:18:25 EDT »

I was just making a contribution. Didn't mean to hijack your thread.

CW
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2011, 10:21:42 EDT »

I was just making a contribution. Didn't mean to hijack your thread.

CW

No big deal. I suppose it was irrelevant for me to ever mention that to begin with, but that was just what got me thinking about fans getting ahead of themselves. I think TrekE is just a typical partisan like the rest of us, stuck in a rival town and looking for things to jump on. If I listened to Gator sports talk when I was in FL-- which I didn't ()-- I would probably look for things to pick at too.

BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2011, 11:36:14 EDT »

I purposely stay away from those call-in shows and I haven't personally heard any over-the-top comments from UT fans. Many, if not most, think that Tennessee can win Saturday, but that isn't surprising. As fans, we convince ourselves that we're better than we are. VTTW thinks Tennessee will win the game; the VS thinks Florida will win the game and it wouldn't be any fun if either side were conceding defeat 48 hours before the game even kicks off.

I have do doubt that the belligerent fans are starting to feel their oats again. Fan bases are all like that and ours is worse than most. But I'm kinda like you: I'm just glad to see a little swagger back in Big Orange Country. One of our local radio stations is calling itself the "official Gator Hater" station this week.  It's been years since I heard that in the week leading up to the Florida game; probably not since 2005. We've gone from nervously hoping that we were just going to be able to keep it close and prevent Meyer's vindictive payback the last time we went to The Swamp to thinking, "By gawd I think we can win this thing" this year. Thank goodness we can at least have the perception that this thing is finally on its way back.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2011, 01:46:10 EDT »

I think the response is far more measured than they say.  For instance, I feel good about our chances, but I don't think we should be favored.  I think this is probably what most UT fans think, but ICBW.   Further, they act as if we have been blindly optimistic for years.  I am one of the most optimistic fans on the planet, but I had almost zero expectations of winning last year or in 2009, and that almost NEVER happens with me.  In 2007 and 2008, I thought we were underdogs, but argued that we had a shot, and BOY was I wrong.

The last time I really thought we "should" win, if even by a small margin, was 2006, and it was an extremely close game.   I don't think we "should" win, but I think it should be a very close game, period.   I don't think thats unrealistic.

Some fans do get overly optimistic though.  Just today at work, a huge Tennessee fan was already speculating whether we could be undefeated going into the LSU game.  That is getting WAY too far ahead of ourselves.

Looking at the schedule, it's hard not to notice that our next two games are Buffalo and Georgia and play the "what if we beat the gators" game.  I have deliberately avoided even thinking about that.   We could win Saturday, but we could get ran off the field too.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
JimmyV
Special Teamer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2011, 11:17:18 EDT »

Most intelligent Gator fans realize UT is a very dangerous team. I personally would favor UF at the Swamp, that is not an unreasonable bet even when the teams are close in talent. But a UT win would not be  a monumental upset like it would have been the last 5 years.

I have been vocal from the start saying Dooley was a good hire, he has you guys going the right direction again. I expect a barn burner Saturday with a UF victory around 35-28. But if the score is in UT's favor it would not be a huge shock. Hard to call this one with so many unknowns about both teams.
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2011, 01:29:10 EDT »

Most intelligent Gator fans realize UT is a very dangerous team. I personally would favor UF at the Swamp, that is not an unreasonable bet even when the teams are close in talent. But a UT win would not be  a monumental upset like it would have been the last 5 years.

I have been vocal from the start saying Dooley was a good hire, he has you guys going the right direction again. I expect a barn burner Saturday with a UF victory around 35-28. But if the score is in UT's favor it would not be a huge shock. Hard to call this one with so many unknowns about both teams.

I think I would have to agree with this prognosis in my head. In my heart, I say, "WWFDT!!!!!"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: