VTTW Board Index
April 23, 2024, 08:57:50 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this '90 Bama or '95 Bama?  (Read 7249 times)
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: September 16, 2011, 06:56:23 EDT »

O.k., admittedly we're playing UF, but the two Bama games are interesting to juxtapose. In '90 we came in "knowing" we'd beat the Tide...and didn't.

In '95 we had trepidation about playing a team with Burgdorf and Kitchens at QB. In hindsight that was really dumb.

I'm scared of Florida because they're Florida, but at the same time I'm grossly overconfident and think we'll win. Hopefully this doesn't end up being a repeat of '90 Bama.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 06:58:30 EDT »

'95 Bama? I don't know, but if we win this game 41-14 I'm going to run laps around my house nekkid.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 07:00:46 EDT »

I don't think it could possibly be 1990 Bama because going into that game we were a prohibitive favorite and had a much better team.

1995 Bama... I could get behind that comparison if we win... on the road with a sophomore quarterback who looks like a star... a defense that is young and seems questionable... in  a game that most pundits think we will lose... against a team three years removed from a national championship.

I think your last line sums it up personally... Florida makes me nervous because we've had so many heartbreaks down there but at the same time I think we are going to win tomorrow.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 07:02:32 EDT »

Of course someone should point out the glaring difference between the '95 Bama game and this game: We went to 'Bama in '95 with the nation's No. 6 team.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 07:04:14 EDT »

Of course someone should point out the glaring difference between the '95 Bama game and this game: We went to 'Bama in '95 with the nation's No. 6 team.

I think that's a good point, but at the same time... don't you think we are unranked now because of reputation? I've always thought if we win the Music City Bowl we would've been ranked.

I think the difference between that team and this team is depth. I think this team has similar front line talent.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 07:09:20 EDT »

I think that's a good point, but at the same time... don't you think we are unranked now because of reputation? I've always thought if we win the Music City Bowl we would've been ranked.

I think the difference between that team and this team is depth. I think this team has similar front line talent.

I think it's possible. I want to see how we perform against a legitimate top 25 team first, though. Tomorrow may not be a good litmus test because we've gone to Gainesville so many times with legitimately good teams and completely floundered.

If our offense is as good throughout the season as it has been through the first couple of games, there's no way we are still unranked at the end of the season. And probably enter 2012 with a preseason top 15 ranking.
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 07:23:40 EDT »

The difference between us this year against UF or any quality team is that last year no one really worried about us scoring much. They knew they could take minimal risks and just wear us out, we weren't going to score much. This year that has changed. Game plans will have to change accordingly. Teams won't be able to play so close to the vest with us. This could help us, or hurt us depending on if our defense can rise to the occasion.

Don't look for Hunter and Rogers running free in the secondary tomorrow. UF will play tighter coverage so Bray may not get the ball out as fast. Hopefully we can get a push in the run game. If we can we can win, if not, then no. Poole doesn't need 200 yards nor do we need 200 as a team. We just need to keep them honest and off balance.
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 07:53:51 EDT »

1) Great point about us being ranked #6 going into Birmingham in '95. I had forgotten we were that high.

2) This has to be the most optimistic I've been about a significant game since, ummm, I'm not sure.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 08:01:28 EDT »

I don't think it could possibly be 1990 Bama because going into that game we were a prohibitive favorite and had a much better team.

1995 Bama... I could get behind that comparison if we win... on the road with a sophomore quarterback who looks like a star... a defense that is young and seems questionable... in  a game that most pundits think we will lose... against a team three years removed from a national championship.

I think your last line sums it up personally... Florida makes me nervous because we've had so many heartbreaks down there but at the same time I think we are going to win tomorrow.

Before 95 Bama we'd had so many heartbreaks to Bama too...another parallel.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 08:02:23 EDT »

I think this team has more receiver talent.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 08:03:55 EDT »

The difference between us this year against UF or any quality team is that last year no one really worried about us scoring much. They knew they could take minimal risks and just wear us out, we weren't going to score much. This year that has changed. Game plans will have to change accordingly. Teams won't be able to play so close to the vest with us. This could help us, or hurt us depending on if our defense can rise to the occasion.

Don't look for Hunter and Rogers running free in the secondary tomorrow. UF will play tighter coverage so Bray may not get the ball out as fast. Hopefully we can get a push in the run game. If we can we can win, if not, then no. Poole doesn't need 200 yards nor do we need 200 as a team. We just need to keep them honest and off balance.

Hunter and Rogers will be open, UF doesn't have guys with enough ability, size, or experience to handle them. UAB had guys running open. The issue will be if Bray will have time to get the ball to them.

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 08:04:01 EDT »

I think this team has more receiver talent.

Not depth though. I agree that Rogers and Hunter are the most talented pair we've had since Pickens / Harper. But the '95 group was VERY deep.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 08:07:20 EDT »

Not depth though. I agree that Rogers and Hunter are the most talented pair we've had since Pickens / Harper. But the '95 group was VERY deep.

True. Although if Rogers emerges, and Arnett and Dallas keep getting better, we could say that at the end of the yr. Not to mention the TE duo.  This WR group will be VERY deep next year - imagine the passing game next year.

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 08:13:18 EDT »

True. Although if Rogers emerges, and Arnett and Dallas keep getting better, we could say that at the end of the yr. Not to mention the TE duo.  This WR group will be VERY deep next year - imagine the passing game next year.

Especially if we lock down the JUCO kid Patterson.

EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2011, 08:33:26 EDT »

'95 Bama? I don't know, but if we win this game 41-14 I'm going to run laps around my house nekkid.

Don't look Ethel.......

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2011, 08:39:24 EDT »

Especially if we lock down the JUCO kid Patterson.

He's been a Vol lean for a while, and after watching us, I can't imagine he'd not want to play in this offense!

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2011, 08:53:09 EDT »

He's been a Vol lean for a while, and after watching us, I can't imagine he'd not want to play in this offense!

Hunter, D Rogers, and Patterson, all together with Bray... Holy sheet. 

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2011, 08:54:47 EDT »

Hunter, D Rogers, and Patterson, all together with Bray... Holy sheet. 

WRU is back   

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2011, 10:33:48 EDT »

This will definitely be our toughest test since Bray became starter.

I feel VERY good about it.   Hopefully our boyz will come through.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: