VTTW Board Index
April 17, 2024, 12:27:22 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The apparent nature of our D is to suck early in the game  (Read 2138 times)
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 19, 2011, 05:01:20 EDT »

Don't forget we gave up TWO quick TDs to Cincinnatti in the first quarter of that game.   

Apparently our staff makes great adjustments on the fly but sucks at preparing for the first series or two.  That's one explanation I suppose, because IMO our D was pretty good after that first series.  Don't get me wrong, they had some later breakdowns, but other than that first series and perhaps the drive after the int all the gators got was one big play and a bunch of field goals.

Let's not fail to give the D for holding them to FGs TWICE at the end of the second half after spotting them field position inside of our own 35!  That was incredible and took a lot of heart.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 05:20:07 EDT »

With the exception of all the missed tackles in the fourth quarter after the D was gassed, I thought they played solid. The two stands in the second quarter were huge. Florida received the ball inside our 30 each time. It could very easily have been a 24-0 game. If that had happened, it would have been Katy-bar-the-door. The defense played as well as could have been expected and gave Tennessee a chance to still be in the ballgame.

Think about this: If Rogers doesn't step out of bounds on the catch just before the half, Tennessee is driving for a game-tying touchdown on that last possession. On a day when our running game went for negative yards. That tells me all I need to know about the perseverance of our quarterback and our defense.
crockettman
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 05:31:06 EDT »

I though the defense was the only bright spot of the 1st half and kept us in the game,couldve been a whole lot worse..the kicking game is one of the biggest reasons why we lost...plain and simple,we cant kick off past the 10 yard line let alone into the end zone,Fla had great field position the whole day..we missed a field goal and had a punt blocked
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 05:42:27 EDT »

With the exception of all the missed tackles in the fourth quarter after the D was gassed, I thought they played solid. The two stands in the second quarter were huge. Florida received the ball inside our 30 each time. It could very easily have been a 24-0 game. If that had happened, it would have been Katy-bar-the-door. The defense played as well as could have been expected and gave Tennessee a chance to still be in the ballgame.

Think about this: If Rogers doesn't step out of bounds on the catch just before the half, Tennessee is driving for a game-tying touchdown on that last possession. On a day when our running game went for negative yards. That tells me all I need to know about the perseverance of our quarterback and our defense.

I know.  I was very excited on that drive.  It's a shame we came out and threw the pick right away.  Then again, how many additional picks did UF drop?   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: