VTTW Board Index
April 20, 2024, 03:14:04 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2012  (Read 4822 times)
10EC
« on: September 19, 2011, 03:49:05 EDT »

Yes, like everyone else, I want to be "back" this year.  We are still just too young.  I have said since Kiffin was coach that 2012 would be the year we compete again. 

And one thing, though it has been mentioned somewhat, Hunter's injury this year could make us that more dangerous in 2012.  Other receivers are going to have to step up this year and get more playing time.  We are not just going to have 2 big play receivers, we are going to have 3 - 4 in 2012. 
CobbWebb
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 03:51:28 EDT »

Until we get a stud runningback, our O line toughens up and we get some playmakers on D line, we are not going to contend for the SEC ring. Dooley had better land some recruits and fast.

CW
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 04:05:41 EDT »

Next year will not be the year either. We will be better than this year but still not all the way back.

We are in the midst of a MAJOR rebuilding job. It will be 2013 or 14 for us to get all the way back at a min. It is hard to play catch up when your roster has been gutted. Right now Dooley is trying to recruit a base of good players while trying to fill the holes in the dike as well. What does that mean? It means we recruit a lot of good db's one year but our lb's suck and we are still short on the d-line. Next year we will get more lb's and dl's but they will be young and it will take two or three years for them to mature enough to hold up.

It is just a vicious cycle we are in and it will take time, more time than we hoped it would. People will point to Stoops at OU, and Saban at UAT, but neither one of them inherited a roster like Dooley did. He walked into a complete mess. Heck Dooley may not ever win but it is gonna take 4 or 5 years at least to recover from the damage that was done.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 08:32:33 EDT »

Hm, well I don't think we are all the way back or even close to it, but I see significant progress from last year.  Or do any of you want Simms to play again?   

I am encourage by how our young D responded at times, and still hopeful our OL will figure out the run game.  There is a lot of time left in this season.  So long as the players work hard and continue to improve, I see no reason we can't compete next year.

But fizzle that...I am still interested in this year.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 08:38:21 EDT »

Hm, well I don't think we are all the way back or even close to it, but I see significant progress from last year.  Or do any of you want Simms to play again?   

I am encourage by how our young D responded at times, and still hopeful our OL will figure out the run game.  There is a lot of time left in this season.  So long as the players work hard and continue to improve, I see no reason we can't compete next year.

But fizzle that...I am still interested in this year.   

I think we are better. I think we will be better next year, but it will be 2013 or 14  before we can realistically compete for the SECC IMHO.  I'll be glad to eat crow next year though. 
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 10:07:40 EDT »

Until we get a stud runningback, our O line toughens up and we get some playmakers on D line, we are not going to contend for the SEC ring. Dooley had better land some recruits and fast.

CW

I think we have enough at RB now because I think Lane is going to be really good, it's the OL that must toughen up as you say. Going into the game I wondered about OL and front 7 on defense... the thing that really stinks that I never considered is that we don't have enough speed at DB.

But... I don't think we are that far away. The OL is very skilled athletically, they are just young. At least that's my hope. Either we need more time to jell or they need better coaching.

I also saw a lot of promise from the frosh LBs, although they didn't tackle well and AJ made a mental error on Rainey's TD. Those two things come with time. Their athletic ability is the kind that we need to compete.

Right now I just think playing 17 freshmen and sophomores is too much to overcome. I expect a big leap next year. But UF is really young too, so we aren't the only team who should improve.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 10:11:25 EDT »

I think we have enough at RB now because I think Lane is going to be really good, it's the OL that must toughen up as you say. Going into the game I wondered about OL and front 7 on defense... the thing that really stinks that I never considered is that we don't have enough speed at DB.

But... I don't think we are that far away. The OL is very skilled athletically, they are just young. At least that's my hope. Either we need more time to jell or they need better coaching.

I also saw a lot of promise from the frosh LBs, although they didn't tackle well and AJ made a mental error on Rainey's TD. Those two things come with time. Their athletic ability is the kind that we need to compete.

Right now I just think playing 17 freshmen and sophomores is too much to overcome. I expect a big leap next year. But UF is really young too, so we aren't the only team who should improve.
I think the only change I'd like to see on the OL is trade a Jr for a true FR at LG.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 10:23:05 EDT »

I think the only change I'd like to see on the OL is trade a Jr for a true FR at LG.

The Jr plays at LT... Thomas is the only JR. All the others are sophs. I'm assuming you're talking about trading Bullard for Marcus Jackson, which I would support. I think Bullard is the weak link. Stone has to fix the snaps though.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 10:38:34 EDT »

The Jr plays at LT... Thomas is the only JR. All the others are sophs. I'm assuming you're talking about trading Bullard for Marcus Jackson, which I would support. I think Bullard is the weak link. Stone has to fix the snaps though.
My bad, I thought Bullard was a Jr, he is a RS SO.

Even with Stone's bowling for $$ Saturday I think he is better than the alternative from a blocking perspective.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 10:45:25 EDT »

My bad, I thought Bullard was a Jr, he is a RS SO.

Even with Stone's bowling for $$ Saturday I think he is better than the alternative from a blocking perspective.

Agree 100%. They don't need to replace Stone, they need to fix him. He was just rattled. That doesn't excite me, but they can fix it.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 07:11:34 EDT »

I think we are better. I think we will be better next year, but it will be 2013 or 14  before we can realistically compete for the SECC IMHO.  I'll be glad to eat crow next year though. 

When you say "compete for the SECC" that could cover a lot of ground.  It could mean we make the the SECC or that we are mentioned as preseason faves, or are on the short list of teams expected to win it.  It could simply mean that as the season plays out, we are in the mix of teams that have a shot of winning the EAST.

I think we have a realistic shot at the last one.   Given how weak the East is this year, I would say we still have a shot but we play the worst slate of Western teams of anyone in the division, unfortunately.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2011, 03:16:13 EDT »

I think Tennessee will be 9-3 or 10-2 in 2012,the talent gets deeper and the improvement continues

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: