VTTW Board Index
April 24, 2024, 10:00:13 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So where does the SEC turn for team No. 14?  (Read 12481 times)
BigOrange Maniac
« on: September 21, 2011, 05:57:37 EDT »

With the Big 12 apparently back on solid footing now, provided Texas and Oklahoma can come to an agreement, that makes Missouri seem like less of an option for the SEC. If that's the case, where does the SEC stand? The ACC is apparently happy with where they stand. The Big East, not so much so, but there's no one there that we want.

That's a whole lot of options off the table.

Memphis wants into a BCS conference awfully bad... If we can add them to the East, I'm all for it. 
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 06:11:02 EDT »

How about South Florida? Getting them in would help open up the extremely talent rich South Florida-Miami area

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 06:12:20 EDT »

How about South Florida? Getting them in would help open up the extremely talent rich South Florida-Miami area

The problem is that USF is not in South Florida at all... it's in Tampa.

Florida is going to fight any other Florida school being in the league.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 06:59:45 EDT »

From a geographic standpoint I think VT, CU and GT are fits for the East. 
101stDad
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 07:14:02 EDT »

VPI can"t go anywhere without UVA, so has been made clear by the Virginia legislature. At this point, I am betting on UofL being the odds on favorite to become #14. Memphis is not an option.
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 07:17:25 EDT »

Memphis is not an option.

I'm pretty sure no one is seriously mentioning Memphis. 
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 07:26:57 EDT »

VPI can"t go anywhere without UVA, so has been made clear by the Virginia legislature. At this point, I am betting on UofL being the odds on favorite to become #14. Memphis is not an option.

Kentucky could very well veto Louisville coming into the SEC. A lot of UK fans(at least the ones on UK message boards) are nervous that with Louisville in the SEC they'll be shut out of football recruiting in Louisville

WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 07:28:00 EDT »

I'm pretty sure no one is seriously mentioning Memphis. 

Memphis couldn't compete in football in the Sunbelt conference

MIAUTIGER
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 07:43:30 EDT »

With the Big 12 apparently back on solid footing now, provided Texas and Oklahoma can come to an agreement, that makes Missouri seem like less of an option for the SEC. If that's the case, where does the SEC stand? The ACC is apparently happy with where they stand. The Big East, not so much so, but there's no one there that we want.

That's a whole lot of options off the table.

Memphis wants into a BCS conference awfully bad... If we can add them to the East, I'm all for it. 

Memphis?!?! Blech!  If we are talking purely for football reasons, and I think that is what all of this is about (Jim Boeheim's comments on conference expansion is dead-on, IMO), then I think, why not add another Texas-based team - TCU? Or how about some out-of-the-box thinking and tell Appy State that we will add them to the SEC if they can get to NCAA Div.I (I am not calling it the other thing) in 2 years?  How's that for being innovative?

Bammer suxes! That is all!
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 07:47:07 EDT »

Memphis?!?! Blech!  If we are talking purely for football reasons, and I think that is what all of this is about (Jim Boeheim's comments on conference expansion is dead-on, IMO), then I think, why not add another Texas-based team - TCU? Or how about some out-of-the-box thinking and tell Appy State that we will add them to the SEC if they can get to NCAA Div.I (I am not calling it the other thing) in 2 years?  How's that for being innovative?

MIAUTIGER,I'd rather have Southern Miss in the SEC than either Memphis or App State

BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 08:02:17 EDT »

I was talking purely for football reasons. Memphis in the East = three for-sure wins for UT each year. 
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 08:14:48 EDT »

It's better to be inconvenienced for a couple of years than to take the wrong school. Once someone is in you can't kick him out. Very few schools add value.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
101stDad
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 08:40:21 EDT »

MIAUTIGER,I'd rather have Southern Miss in the SEC than either Memphis or App State

Appy State?  Really.  They are a very good D1-AA school, but they aren't a major university, and certainly not an SEC level University.  Their stadium seats about 30K, and their other facilities aren't up to SEC standards, either. 

Whoever come in is going to have to bring something of substance with them.  Neither Memphis, Southern Miss, nor Appy State do that. 
MIAUTIGER
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 08:49:19 EDT »

Very few schools add value.

This is absoulutely true.  aTm, I think, does add value.  But not too many other ones do, IMO.  The ones that do make sense will probably not want to leave their conference anytime soon.

MIAUTIGER
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2011, 08:50:44 EDT »

Appy State?  Really.  They are a very good D1-AA school, but they aren't a major university, and certainly not an SEC level University.  Their stadium seats about 30K, and their other facilities aren't up to SEC standards, either. 

Whoever come in is going to have to bring something of substance with them.  Neither Memphis, Southern Miss, nor Appy State do that. 

I blame my lunch hour for that sorry recommendation  .

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2011, 09:22:59 EDT »

I was talking purely for football reasons. Memphis in the East = three for-sure wins for UT each year. 

I figured that's what you were getting at, lol. 

Ignoring academics and TV, neither of which is an option (but probably moreso the TV part), WVU is actually a good fit geographically and they do have a decent football tradition.  The bonus is that it would really piss off a lot of gators that like to look down their noses at "hillbillies", apparently, even though roughly half the conference is just that.

But I can get started on plenty of Florida stereotypes if I wanted to, and I don't mean jean shorts either.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
MIAUTIGER
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2011, 09:40:32 EDT »

Come on! What's wrong with ASU? We would still have a Mountaineers in the conference, with a nice ski area in the mountain area.  It's like having WVU without the burning couches and smells  .

Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2011, 09:48:00 EDT »

I vote for the mighty Mocs of UTC.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2011, 10:24:04 EDT »

I vote for the mighty Mocs of UTC.
Tailgate at BDV's place!

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
MIAUTIGER
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2011, 10:55:01 EDT »

Tailgate at BDV's place!

I'll bring the wine coolers.

VOLveeta
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2011, 02:21:28 EDT »

The Dillon Panthers!
tnflower
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2011, 03:00:45 EDT »

Would Ga Tech be a good fit?
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2011, 03:30:23 EDT »

They did this  to the SEC once before, why would we want them back?
OTOH, given the sheer quantity of NCAA issues the SEC has, they would fit right in ...

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2011, 04:13:56 EDT »

Clay Travis reported the other day that South Carolina, Georgia and Florida have a pact to stand together against any other schools from their states getting in. If that's the case, it would be almost impossible for FSU, GaTech or Clemson to gain entry to the SEC.
Quasi EVol
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2011, 04:32:00 EDT »

Clay Travis reported the other day that South Carolina, Georgia and Florida have a pact to stand together against any other schools from their states getting in. If that's the case, it would be almost impossible for FSU, GaTech or Clemson to gain entry to the SEC.

The Baylors of the SEC.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: