VTTW Board Index
April 24, 2024, 05:40:57 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So where does the SEC turn for team No. 14?  (Read 12480 times)
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2011, 05:00:00 EDT »

Clay Travis reported the other day that South Carolina, Georgia and Florida have a pact to stand together against any other schools from their states getting in. If that's the case, it would be almost impossible for FSU, GaTech or Clemson to gain entry to the SEC.

I think Kentucky would veto any attempt by the SEC to invite Louisville

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
Jedi Master
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2011, 06:06:16 EDT »

Would Ga Tech be a good fit?

GT will not be invited.  The most obvious reason is to understand why the SEC has already looked at Texas A&M and perhaps Missouri.  It is all about TV markets those schools would bring to the SEC, and the TV money that would result from SEC's future contracts with its TV partners (CBS, ESPN, etc).  A&M brings the Houston and Dallas DMAs (DMA = measure of TV market size) to the SEC, while Mizzou brings St. Louis and perhaps Kansas City DMAs. 

But the Atlanta DMA is already delivered to the SEC, mostly via UGA and AU and to some extent Bama, UT, UF, etc.  Atlanta is already SEC country, so GT isn't needed.

The bottom line is that any new SEC school will have to be accretive to the SEC's revenues in order to be considered.  That means the revenues that the new school brings to the SEC will have to be greater than the slice of the SEC's earnings pie that they get in return. This will be the driving consideration, even though it is a given that other factors will be considered to a lesser extent (tradition, lack of probation, cultural and academic fit, existing grudges from other SEC schools, etc).

Finally, just to put the final nail in GT as a SEC candidate, a previous post referenced that GT already left the SEC once.  True, and that will indeed be held against them.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2011, 10:30:37 EDT »

Atlanta is indeed SEC country.  I visited my sister there last weekend, and I was amazed at how many Auburn, Florida, Tennessee, and bammer fans were in their subdivision.  I actually did not meet any uga fans!

There are historic reason Ga Tech left the SEC.  They had a war going with bammer at the time. 

In 1962 the Saturday Evening Post published an article that accused Bryant of coaching in a manner that encouraged unsportsmanlike conduct. The article was apparently prompted by an incident that had occurred during the game between Alabama and Georgia Tech played on November 18, 1961. A Tech player going downfield to cover a punt was blocked out of bounds by an Alabama player who used what is called a forearm shiver. The blow to the face broke the Tech player's jaw. As a result, the friendship between Bryant and Tech's coach Bobby Dodd was ruined. Georgia Tech dropped Alabama from its schedule and later left the Southeastern Conference. Bryant filed suit against the magazine.

http://www.answers.com/topic/paul-bryant#ixzz1YiNrwiW5

Any enemy of bammer is a friend of mine.  Let em back in, I say!  If for no other reason than to piss off bammer fans.   

BTW...I went to high school in Knoxville with the son of the player who got his jaw broke.  Father and son were named Chick Graning.  The father coached at Oak Ridge for awhile and the family stayed in Knoxville.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2011, 10:34:01 EDT »

Atlanta is indeed SEC country.  I visited my sister there last weekend, and I was amazed at how many Auburn, Florida, Tennessee, and bammer fans were in their subdivision.  I actually did not meet any uga fans!

There are historic reason Ga Tech left the SEC.  They had a war going with bammer at the time. 

In 1962 the Saturday Evening Post published an article that accused Bryant of coaching in a manner that encouraged unsportsmanlike conduct. The article was apparently prompted by an incident that had occurred during the game between Alabama and Georgia Tech played on November 18, 1961. A Tech player going downfield to cover a punt was blocked out of bounds by an Alabama player who used what is called a forearm shiver. The blow to the face broke the Tech player's jaw. As a result, the friendship between Bryant and Tech's coach Bobby Dodd was ruined. Georgia Tech dropped Alabama from its schedule and later left the Southeastern Conference. Bryant filed suit against the magazine.

http://www.answers.com/topic/paul-bryant#ixzz1YiNrwiW5

Any enemy of bammer is a friend of mine.  Let em back in, I say!  If for no other reason than to piss off bammer fans.   

BTW...I went to high school in Knoxville with the son of the player who got his jaw broke.  Father and son were named Chick Graning.  The father coached at Oak Ridge for awhile and the family stayed in Knoxville.

And why did Bobby Dodd hate Alabama and Bear Bryant? Because he was a by-God Tennessee Volunteer, that's why.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: