VTTW Board Index
April 19, 2024, 02:05:17 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Let's just go ahead and revoke the Big East's BCS invite  (Read 4615 times)
BigOrange Maniac
« on: September 22, 2011, 04:46:34 EDT »

Here are the Big East's candidates to replace Pitt and Syracuse, if the NYT is to be believed (and this seems just about right):

• Navy
• Air Force
• Villanova (currently FCS)
• Temple
• Memphis
• East Carolina
• Central Florida

Exciting!!! Well...no, not really.
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 04:49:11 EDT »

It's going to be a glorified CUSA. TCU has just knocked it's program back a decade by joining the Big Least

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 04:51:48 EDT »

It's going to be a glorified CUSA. TCU has just knocked it's program back a decade by joining the Big Least

If I'm TCU, I'm ripping up that Big East contract and waiting on a Big 12 invite.
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 04:56:20 EDT »

If I'm TCU, I'm ripping up that Big East contract and waiting on a Big 12 invite.

Dang right I would also if I were them.

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 05:04:22 EDT »

The Big East to the Big 12?  That's like jumping off the Lusitania and climbing onboard the Titanic.

BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 05:11:32 EDT »

The Big East to the Big 12?  That's like jumping off the Lusitania and climbing onboard the Titanic.

That depends on what kind of concessions Texas is willing to make. If Texas can make Oklahoma happy, the Big 12 will be here to stay. If Texas continues to be as greedy as it has been so far, the Big 12 is irreparably damaged.
101stDad
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 06:24:09 EDT »

It won't be Army, Navy, or Air Force.  That's already been thrown out there and shot down. 
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 07:54:50 EDT »

That depends on what kind of concessions Texas is willing to make. If Texas can make Oklahoma happy, the Big 12 will be here to stay. If Texas continues to be as greedy as it has been so far, the Big 12 is irreparably damaged.

Texas isn't giving up the LHN, especially now that the Pac 12 has spurned OU.  Without that bit of leverage, Texas has them over a barrel (again).  And as long as the LHN is in play in its current form, the Big 12 is going to be an endangered league.

BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 08:03:24 EDT »

Texas isn't giving up the LHN, especially now that the Pac 12 has spurned OU.  Without that bit of leverage, Texas has them over a barrel (again).  And as long as the LHN is in play in its current form, the Big 12 is going to be an endangered league.

It's going to be interesting to see how it plays out. From where I'm sitting, the Pac-12 didn't as much spurn Oklahoma as they spurned Texas. Oklahoma just got caught up in the flames. You're right, though, about a lack of leverage. One of Oklahoma's demands is a change in the revenue inequality. Will Texas concede?

I'm not convinced that Oklahoma can't use the SEC as a bartering tool with Texas. We all know about the state politics that make Oklahoma/OklaSt a package deal and the SEC clearly doesn't want OklaSt. But I read someone yesterday (Clay Travis maybe?) speculating that the SEC might take Oklahoma and OklaSt if that's what it takes to get to 16 teams. And it might take that if NC State and VaTech aren't interested (and I don't think VaTech is...nor would I be if I were in their position). In that situation, the SEC could grab Oklahoma and OklaSt, and Missouri would then follow since the Big 12 would implode. And that's your 16 teams for the SEC.

That's a very far-fetched scenario, but IF it did play out like that, Texas could very easily be left out to dry since the Pac-12 made it clear in its statement that it will not accept Texas' revenue sharing demands. I think Texas has to be careful in all of this, which might force them to play nice with Oklahoma a little more than they'd like to.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 09:53:13 EDT »

It's going to be interesting to see how it plays out. From where I'm sitting, the Pac-12 didn't as much spurn Oklahoma as they spurned Texas. Oklahoma just got caught up in the flames. You're right, though, about a lack of leverage. One of Oklahoma's demands is a change in the revenue inequality. Will Texas concede?

I'm not convinced that Oklahoma can't use the SEC as a bartering tool with Texas. We all know about the state politics that make Oklahoma/OklaSt a package deal and the SEC clearly doesn't want OklaSt. But I read someone yesterday (Clay Travis maybe?) speculating that the SEC might take Oklahoma and OklaSt if that's what it takes to get to 16 teams. And it might take that if NC State and VaTech aren't interested (and I don't think VaTech is...nor would I be if I were in their position). In that situation, the SEC could grab Oklahoma and OklaSt, and Missouri would then follow since the Big 12 would implode. And that's your 16 teams for the SEC.

That's a very far-fetched scenario, but IF it did play out like that, Texas could very easily be left out to dry since the Pac-12 made it clear in its statement that it will not accept Texas' revenue sharing demands. I think Texas has to be careful in all of this, which might force them to play nice with Oklahoma a little more than they'd like to.

If I were in charge at OU, I'd go crawling to Birminghmam on my hands and knees and beg
Slive for an invitation.  But they may have already burned that bridge, with all their self-rightous posturing about academic deficiencies in the SEC.  I'm not sure where they get off with that- OU aint exactly Harvard on the Plains.

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 10:17:10 EDT »

If I were in charge at OU, I'd go crawling to Birminghmam on my hands and knees and beg
Slive for an invitation.  But they may have already burned that bridge, with all their self-rightous posturing about academic deficiencies in the SEC.  I'm not sure where they get off with that- OU aint exactly Harvard on the Plains.

In the most recent public school rankings by USNWR, OU was tied at 46 with none other than UT and ranked below Florida (19t), Georgia (23t), Bama (31t), and Auburn (36t).

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/top-public

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: