VTTW Board Index
April 20, 2024, 12:14:32 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I made up my mind this morning that I am going to be  (Read 4917 times)
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 22, 2011, 06:39:32 EDT »

a more positive Vol fan for the rest of the year, despite what comes. I admit that Gainesville hit me hard... I knew we could lose going in, but I thought we'd play better, and Hunter's injury was really depressing for me.

But, when I survey the landscape... honestly, we just don't have the depth everywhere and the overall talent and experience on defense to compete with the athleticism that UF has. We are going to struggle against Alabama and probably LSU and Arkansas is a bad matchup. We have chances at SC and Georgia but they are still more talented than we are. We have the quarterback and the WRs (even without Hunter IMO) that you need to be successful but we need it all. Dooley faced a really large rebuilding task when he came. Fulmer failed to recruit SEC talent for the most part his last five years at UT and Kiffin took care of the depth issues when he ran off half the team and then recruited a bunch of washouts.

I believe in Dooley's message and his attitude and in him as a fit. I believe now that this is not the typical situation where a coach can come in and turn things around in two to three years and I think that's why we had trouble attracting a coach. I now think that it might be 2013 before we compete for the SECCG again.

For now, I'm not going to get on coaches or coordinators. I think these guys just need time to recruit their players and get them some experience. Dooley proved to me last year that he isn't going to be hamstrung by loyalty when he ran off a close friend and VFL in Chuck Smith. Phil would've never done that. NEVER.

So, I ride with Dooley and I'm willing to take these lumps for a little while longer.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Clockwork Orange
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 06:43:44 EDT »

So, I ride with Dooley and I'm willing to take these lumps for a little while longer.

This. I haven't listened to one minute of sports talk in the car this week because I just really don't care what anyone has to say right now. I'm looking forward to Buffalo.

"Stay patient and be strong, 'cause it's gonna hit. And when it hits, it's gonna hit hard."

WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 06:53:48 EDT »

I'll be rooting for Tennessee no matter what.

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 07:07:10 EDT »

Welcome aboard. 

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 07:12:39 EDT »

You just said what I have been trying to just much better. I hate that its the truth but it is. 

a more positive Vol fan for the rest of the year, despite what comes. I admit that Gainesville hit me hard... I knew we could lose going in, but I thought we'd play better, and Hunter's injury was really depressing for me.

But, when I survey the landscape... honestly, we just don't have the depth everywhere and the overall talent and experience on defense to compete with the athleticism that UF has. We are going to struggle against Alabama and probably LSU and Arkansas is a bad matchup. We have chances at SC and Georgia but they are still more talented than we are. We have the quarterback and the WRs (even without Hunter IMO) that you need to be successful but we need it all. Dooley faced a really large rebuilding task when he came. Fulmer failed to recruit SEC talent for the most part his last five years at UT and Kiffin took care of the depth issues when he ran off half the team and then recruited a bunch of washouts.

I believe in Dooley's message and his attitude and in him as a fit. I believe now that this is not the typical situation where a coach can come in and turn things around in two to three years and I think that's why we had trouble attracting a coach. I now think that it might be 2013 before we compete for the SECCG again.

For now, I'm not going to get on coaches or coordinators. I think these guys just need time to recruit their players and get them some experience. Dooley proved to me last year that he isn't going to be hamstrung by loyalty when he ran off a close friend and VFL in Chuck Smith. Phil would've never done that. NEVER.

EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 01:16:46 EDT »

What many do not realize is that the Fulmer to Kiffin transition removed a significant portion of the "experienced backups" that would have been on the team in 2009.  Thos sophomores would be Seniors this year and that is where Dooley is behind the 8 ball.  Kiffin's disregard for the future and his lack of character in recruiting means that this team was kicked further into the hole by that arrogant bastard and his mate YaYaYa Wild Boyz.  In all there were 15 players removed from the program in some form or fashion that would have benefitted this team if they had been here.   I blame Kiffin for the mess he left us in. 

Secondly I am behind Dooley 1000000% he has the right message and the right pedigree to get the job done and to build a team that I can be proud of on and off the field.  There I am right now saying I am a VFL charter member.

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 02:45:18 EDT »

I echo those sentiments, but man, I can't get over how unlucky we always get against FL. Losing Hunter in the first five minutes  - what if they had lost Rainey the same way. How does that game change?

Argh.
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 04:12:56 EDT »

I echo those sentiments, but man, I can't get over how unlucky we always get against FL. Losing Hunter in the first five minutes  - what if they had lost Rainey the same way. How does that game change?

Argh.

After seeing Cincy roast a BCS league team (yes they're bad, but Cincy blew them out) I agree with what you are saying. With Hunter I think we were a really solid football team. What could have been...

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
MIAUTIGER
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 04:54:35 EDT »

What's the fun it that approach? That's part of the fun of being a fan. You get to bicker and argue and challenge the coaches at every turn. Look at us. You could not recognize us as the defending National Champs by looking at the fanbase right now. We are ready to run Roof out of town on a speedy bullet train; there have been questions on whether or not Gus has lost his innovativeness, and our eagle flew into a window during the last pre-game eagle flight. Mass confusion, grumbling, and an overall dissatisfaction is the way to go for any die-hard fan  .

Bammer suxes! That is all!
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 04:55:16 EDT »

After seeing Cincy roast a BCS league team (yes they're bad, but Cincy blew them out) I agree with what you are saying. With Hunter I think we were a really solid football team. What could have been...

I need a win over UGA to feel better, honestly.

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2011, 05:19:56 EDT »

I need a win over UGA to feel better, honestly.

I believe that you (we) get it.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: