VTTW Board Index
April 20, 2024, 11:12:09 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Off topic - somewhat. The falling satellite  (Read 4044 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: September 23, 2011, 09:09:42 EDT »

any chance it hits Bryant Denney or the swamp while a game is going on? I mean, for years we have been saying meteor game, maybe we should be saying satellite game?

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/scientists-t-much-warning-six-ton-satellite-falls-150433226.html

disclaimer: I am joking of course. I wouldn't want a large object to fall on a stadium killing thousands of people. Just Nick Saban or Muschamp. And admit it, it would be funny
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 04:27:29 EDT »

That would be very nice.  Most likely over the Pacific or Canada though.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 05:34:55 EDT »

That would be very nice.  Most likely over the Pacific or Canada though.   
I'm loving the lack of specific reentry spcifics when I know there are organizations who's only job is to predict and track that(within the DoD).  I was associated with such an organization when the satelite that parts (including a redioative isotope) of landed in Canada.

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 12:29:31 EDT »

I'm loving the lack of specific reentry spcifics when I know there are organizations who's only job is to predict and track that(within the DoD).  I was associated with such an organization when the satelite that parts (including a redioative isotope) of landed in Canada.

Right.  It's mostly a DoD job, as you know.  JSpoc this am stated they knew the rentry time to within 1024 to 1156 CDT, or roughly one orbit.  That is, they noticed it was not there anymore.   

They probably have a better idea by now.  I have been tracking another satelllite that re-entered on September 15.  (shhhh!)  The Public Affairs weanies won't let us announce it because they are afraid the public will think the entire constellation of all satellites is falling.  Sigh.

But because I had recently tracked another satellite, I did my own predict of the UARS re-entry yesterday.  I was one rev early, but I only spent an hour on it.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 12:31:30 EDT »

any chance it hits Bryant Denney or the swamp while a game is going on? I mean, for years we have been saying meteor game, maybe we should be saying satellite game?

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/scientists-t-much-warning-six-ton-satellite-falls-150433226.html

disclaimer: I am joking of course. I wouldn't want a large object to fall on a stadium killing thousands of people. Just Nick Saban or Muschamp. And admit it, it would be funny

It's could Hit Vanderbilt Stadium during a game,nobody would get hurt

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 01:37:51 EDT »

Right.  It's mostly a DoD job, as you know.  JSpoc this am stated they knew the rentry time to within 1024 to 1156 CDT, or roughly one orbit.  That is, they noticed it was not there anymore.   

They probably have a better idea by now.  I have been tracking another satelllite that re-entered on September 15.  (shhhh!)  The Public Affairs weanies won't let us announce it because they are afraid the public will think the entire constellation of all satellites is falling.  Sigh.

But because I had recently tracked another satellite, I did my own predict of the UARS re-entry yesterday.  I was one rev early, but I only spent an hour on it.   
You were always math "challenged" 

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 04:35:48 EDT »

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/nasa-uars-satellite-crashes-earth-pacific/story?id=14597863

Slight correction...JSpoc said it was 11:23 p.m. EDT Friday, Sept. 23 and 1:09 a.m. EDT Sept. 24.

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 04:58:59 EDT »

If it had fallen on Les Miles would he start making sense?

PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 05:01:43 EDT »

If it had fallen on Les Miles would he start making sense?

Only if the mad hatter started speaking backwards ...

This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: