VTTW Board Index
March 28, 2024, 11:13:22 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The "Good" plays comment...  (Read 3135 times)
iVol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« on: September 25, 2011, 10:43:23 EDT »

Don't know if this has been discussed or not, but when I heard the 208 good plays comment, it automatically reminded me of old Fulmer quotes after the 'perfect storm' of excuses in "05. Now I want to say that I love DD so far, but I'd love for him to stay away from comments like this. In my mind stats are for losers, I'd love for that to be the approach, this particular comment doesn't lean to that though process. Thoughts?
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 11:44:41 EDT »

I had to look his comment up to know what you are talking about.  I don't have a problem with the comment if it's intended to make the D think that they have to concentrate on every play, which is my guess at why he is doing it.  If that's his motivation, then it's a great comment, because from what I have seen our D can be good at times but is inconsistent.

If it's some sort of ass-covering excuse for poor defensive performance, then of course it's a horrible comment.  But I don't think it is.

One other thing...you can think "statistics are for losers" all you want, but show me a coach that doesn't look at stats, and I will show you a BIG loser.   

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
iVol
In The Two Deep

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 12:02:08 EDT »

One other thing...you can think "statistics are for losers" all you want, but show me a coach that doesn't look at stats, and I will show you a BIG loser.   
[/quote]

Nah, I know they all better pay attention to the stats, b/c you are right, stats often define the game.

I just took that comment as you said, " an ass-covering" excuse. I just hate to hear a coach say "well we dominated the clock, run game etc, etc" when they just got their tales kicked, and since DD seems to be a no-nonsense type of guy, I wouldn't expect this type of spin from him, that's all.

I can't stand the Steelers, but everytime Tomlin gets beat, he mans up, gives a "we'll make sure it's fixed" type of speech at the presser and you know he kicks their asses in practice the whole next week. I'm sure he digs into the stats, but he never uses them as a crutch in front of the media after a loss.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 12:06:34 EDT »

Speaking of losers, how about this guy? 

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2011/9/25/2448889/mike-locksley-fired-new-mexico-head-coach-josh-butts-dui

Mike Price just called up Jim Tressel and said, "Man, can you BELIEVE that moron?".

BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 01:04:32 EDT »

My thoughts are that you can over-analyze and over-scrutinize just about any comment a coach makes.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 04:46:35 EDT »

Nah, I know they all better pay attention to the stats, b/c you are right, stats often define the game.

I just took that comment as you said, " an ass-covering" excuse. I just hate to hear a coach say "well we dominated the clock, run game etc, etc" when they just got their tales kicked, and since DD seems to be a no-nonsense type of guy, I wouldn't expect this type of spin from him, that's all.

I can't stand the Steelers, but everytime Tomlin gets beat, he mans up, gives a "we'll make sure it's fixed" type of speech at the presser and you know he kicks their asses in practice the whole next week. I'm sure he digs into the stats, but he never uses them as a crutch in front of the media after a loss.

One thing I agree with is that Fulmer rarely took responsibility for what went wrong.  Whether he meant to or not, his post-game comments often sounded like rationalizations or excuses.  Sometimes he even seemed to throw players under the bus.  That was definitely one of his weaknesses.  And that type of behavior is not leadership, IMO.  Now I will say that Fulmer also said they would...what was it?  Work like...madmen?  Work like beavers?  Work like there's not tomorrow?  It seems like he had a saying about that. 

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Jethro
Heisman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 06:32:44 EDT »

One thing I agree with is that Fulmer rarely took responsibility for what went wrong.  Whether he meant to or not, his post-game comments often sounded like rationalizations or excuses.  Sometimes he even seemed to throw players under the bus.  That was definitely one of his weaknesses.  And that type of behavior is not leadership, IMO.  Now I will say that Fulmer also said they would...what was it?  Work like...madmen?  Work like beavers?  Work like there's not tomorrow?  It seems like he had a saying about that. 

"We working like heck to fix the problem."  If Fulmer had $1.00 for every time he said that, he'd be richer than T. Boone Pickens.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: