VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 05:45:33 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Veeta....need some help  (Read 4084 times)
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: September 26, 2011, 02:27:22 EDT »

I don't know if you remember that we have a common, non-vttw connection. You know my cousin from NC. Anyways.... based on his legacy here in Morristown as a good actor and my son's growing reputation of being the same, I have been asked to try out for "And Then There Were None" tonight.  I have always wanted to break into local theater, but never have. I do not know what to expect. I've been told it will probably be just cold reading lines. You got any advice or suggestions?

I promise I'll remember you when I receive my Oscar.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 04:28:29 EDT »

My advice is to treat it like Michael Scott's improv class.
VOLveeta
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 06:17:30 EDT »

Hmmmmmmm... well first off I would find out if they want a dialect... and are you comfy with a Brit dialect?  There's also a need for a South African dialect in that show, I believe.  IF they say yes and you aren't comfortable doing one, you might just honestly say that it's something you believe you could acquire but just need time to hone it and for the moment would just like to read straight.

Those Agatha Christie plays are wordy as hell so give yourself as much time as possible to study whatever it is that they want you to read.  Get there early AND get yourself somewhere that you can read it out loud, DON'T try to go into the audition after having only read the sides silently.

Um... just remember that if you suck the won't shoot you and that they want you to be the perfect choice as much as you wanna be.     BREAK A LEG!!!

yer palâ„¢,
VOLveeta
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 06:51:31 EDT »

Thanks.  I can do a British dialect....it sometimes slips into cockney, which I'll have to tame.  As far as South African, I can do a southern SA dialect, but the midwestern and northern SA dialects are more difficult for me. (JK)

I appreciate the advice...I'll make sure to read out loud before I go to the audition.
GreggO
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 10:44:27 EDT »

My advice is to get good and drunk so you won't be nervous!   

G
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 10:48:46 EDT »

My advice is to treat it like Michael Scott's improv class.

Absolutely.  The gun trumps all.

Quasi EVol
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 11:06:58 EDT »

Thanks.  I can do a British dialect....it sometimes slips into cockney, which I'll have to tame.  As far as South African, I can do a southern SA dialect, but the midwestern and northern SA dialects are more difficult for me. (JK)

I appreciate the advice...I'll make sure to read out loud before I go to the audition.

Just listen to Dick Van Dyke's accent in "Mary Poppins."  If you sound nothing like him, you've got it made! 
Stogie Vol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 03:45:34 EDT »

Auditions went well. Accents were not necessary for reading for auditions, but will be required for the production. The director had me read only one character, but no one else was asked to read for that role, so I must be what he had in mind for that role. It's Blore, the fake South African.

Thanks for all the advice. (Vinnie about ruined it, though. He wished me luck before I left for the audition.
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 03:56:03 EDT »

Auditions went well. Accents were not necessary for reading for auditions, but will be required for the production. The director had me read only one character, but no one else was asked to read for that role, so I must be what he had in mind for that role. It's Blore, the fake South African.

Thanks for all the advice. (Vinnie about ruined it, though. He wished me luck before I left for the audition.

How was I supposed to know all the odd thespian customs?!
GreggO
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 04:29:36 EDT »

I hope everything went well and you get a part. When I was 10, I was in a family camp stunt night skit. The next morning at breakfast announcements, I was given a trophy/pencil sharpener that read, "The World's Greatest Ham". I know your tortured soul.

Went out and bought a new humidor today. It looks fabulous but the analog hygrometer doesn't work at all! Smokin' Joes is in for some drama tomorrow! You have definately inspired me.

G
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 04:31:58 EDT by GreggO » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: