VTTW Board Index
April 25, 2024, 01:29:24 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Not really a time for reflection  (Read 3134 times)
CobbWebb
All-SEC

View Profile
« on: September 27, 2011, 02:59:30 EDT »

We are only three games into the season so it's not really a time to reflect on this year but I was thinking about the 2000 season of all things and it brought back a flood of memories and some depressing comparisons. I remember going to the spring game in 2000 and meeting a bunch of you guys and gals and what fun we had that day. Later that same year we met up again for the Florida game. I think both times we were at YouTee's place. By the way, he used to live on this board and several years ago....poof....he was gone. I wish that he were still active; I always thought he had a good take on things.

Anyway, so much has happened since then with the program. I'm almost 40 years old now and back then I was still in my twenties. I'm in good health but I don't feel as good as I did back then. I still run and workout a lot but in the morning after a run I feel like someone beat my ankles and the bottoms of my feet with a baseball bat. Before I lift now I have to make sure to limber up or it feels like a branding iron is pressing against my joints. And to top it all off, the Vols just look lost a lot of the time on the field.

Back in 2000 we still had studs on both lines and good running backs. The qb situation that year was horrific and that is what got us beat in the Florida game but we had a chance and Florida was loaded. Now we have to totally outman the opposition or we are sol. Yep, lots has changed.

Remember 2004 when it seemed that we were on the rise again with the two young qbs and all those stud receivers? That all went down the toilet. I guess I'm just being Mr. Negative tonight but I miss the days when no matter who we were playing we had a chance to win. Oh, statistically we still have a shot in any game but lets face it, we are going to be skull dragged by LSU, Bama and probably South Carolina and maybe even Georgia. Well, probably not Georgia.

Most fans of my generation remember the days of the late 70s and early 80s but we really connect with that 1985 team that got the ball rolling again in Knoxville. I wish that that kind of beginning would happen again. I just can't see it yet. Dooley may be the next General and I hope that he is but it saddens me to think about the "old days" and damn my freaking leg is cramping from running earlier. Sheesh, it sucks getting older. It sucks even more when your team is struggling.

There's no real point to this post just a lot of rambling and yearning for the good days to come again.

CW
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 03:11:55 EDT »

Wow.  I was having a good day.  Now I want to jump off a bridge.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 04:36:36 EDT »

Things are headed uphill.  I think we can beat uga.   I don't know that we will be "skull dragged" by anyone either.  It's too soon to say.

But this goes to my position in the final days of Fulmer...which was that a complete reboot was probably riskier than 2-3 more years of mediocrity.  But 2008 was simply impossible to defend, unfortunately.

And now in 2011, the actuality of the "reboot" option is even worse than I thought it might be  .  Kiffin was such a disaster.  But there is only one way to go from here.  This very young team is still developing.  There is still plenty of time and room for improvement within this season.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
CobbWebb
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 02:48:30 EDT »

Anything could happen and it's possible that the Vols could beat Bama and LSU this year but I think it's highly unlikely. More than likely the Tahd and LSU will have their way with us.

I don't care how low we sink, it was time for Fulmer to go and IMO, he is 90% of the reason why UT is floundering. I probably wouldn't be as negative towards him as I am now if he had stayed out of the spotlight after he was fired. His comments after Dooley's first recruiting class were what broke the camel's back. Anyway, that is history now.....unless he gets in front of a camera again and starts bitching. Oh how Fulmer and Majors were so similar after they received their walking papers.

CW
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 05:09:12 EDT »

I think only one team will "skull drag" us, and that is bama. LSU is tough but Chavis's defense gave up 500 yards to WVU. Their offense is very vanilla, and remember we basically beat them last year with a much inferior team....if we can count. I think LSU does beat us, but it's a close game.

I think we can beat UGA and SC at home. Both teams have porous defenses and can be had.

BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 07:36:32 EDT »

When I want to feel old and depressed, I remind myself that I was fresh out of high school (a college sophomore) when UT won the national championship in '98. That seems like yesterday but it's been 13 years.

When that same time frame passes again, I'll be in my mid 40s and staring 50 dead in the eye. 
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 09:21:18 EDT »

I gratuated HS in '98 so I'm right there with you BOM.  1998 seems like a larger than life year for me.. I can remember so many details of events that year, not just TN fb.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: