VTTW Board Index
April 19, 2024, 07:16:36 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there any doubt who the best two teams in America are?  (Read 8685 times)
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 02, 2011, 05:45:20 EDT »

Barring something freaky (and that's always a possibility when Les Miles is involved), LSU and Bama are going to run the table other than when they play each other.  If they don't get a rematch in the BCSCG, how can you even call it a championship game?

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 05:49:33 EDT »

I just don't think LSU is good enough on offense to call them a no-brainer as top of the heap. I sense that LSU is going to find a way to screw something up against somebody besides Bammer.

But Alabama just keeps rolling. Saban is a machine. I just keep hoping they get caught cheating again to be honest. They are very well coached and ridiculously talented.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 05:56:47 EDT »

I just don't think LSU is good enough on offense to call them a no-brainer as top of the heap. I sense that LSU is going to find a way to screw something up against somebody besides Bammer.

But Alabama just keeps rolling. Saban is a machine. I just keep hoping they get caught cheating again to be honest. They are very well coached and ridiculously talented.

I hate to admit it, but I really like watching Bammer under Saban.  Ethical or not (and my money is on the latter), he is the best SEC coach I've seen in decades.  His teams are always better conditioned, better discplined, better prepared.  That was a 28 point win in Gainesville, and it wasn't really even THAT close.  Sheesh.

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 06:12:34 EDT »

I hate to admit it, but I really like watching Bammer under Saban.  Ethical or not (and my money is on the latter), he is the best SEC coach I've seen in decades.  His teams are always better conditioned, better discplined, better prepared.  That was a 28 point win in Gainesville, and it wasn't really even THAT close.  Sheesh.

Yep. They play the brand of football I love to watch.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 02:15:17 EDT »

I will add that Wisconsin looks pretty dang good as well.
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 03:44:50 EDT »

Same here. They're fun to watch. Especially on defense...very well disciplined play.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 04:08:42 EDT »

I will add that Wisconsin looks pretty dang good as well.

Name your team:  Wisconsin, Oklahoma, Boise, Clemson, whoever.  I'd take the Bama/LSU loser over them by at least two TDs.  I think the SEC has earned the benefit of the doubt. 

BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 04:15:41 EDT »

Name your team:  Wisconsin, Oklahoma, Boise, Clemson, whoever.  I'd take the Bama/LSU loser over them by at least two TDs.  I think the SEC has earned the benefit of the doubt. 

Alabama is going to beat LSU. Whether or not they're the two best teams in college football, they're going to get their shot at each other. I prefer to give some other team a shot in the BCSNCG.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 04:20:42 EDT »

Alabama is going to beat LSU. Whether or not they're the two best teams in college football, they're going to get their shot at each other. I prefer to give some other team a shot in the BCSNCG.

Okay, let's assume you're right.  That game is at Bama.  If LSU loses a close game in the final seconds, wouldn't you like to see a rematch on a neutral field?  Wouldn't that be a better matchup than watching Bama skulldrag some big 10 pretender?

volmeister
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 04:42:33 EDT »

Yep. They play the brand of football I love to watch.

They aren't invincible though.  Florida was moving the ball through the air before Brantley got hurt.
Quasi EVol
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2011, 05:12:34 EDT »

Okay, let's assume you're right.  That game is at Bama.  If LSU loses a close game in the final seconds, wouldn't you like to see a rematch on a neutral field?  Wouldn't that be a better matchup than watching Bama skulldrag some big 10 pretender?

Actually, that should be "Wouldn't that be a better matchup than watching Bama skulldrag some Big 10/ACC/Big 12/Pac 10 pretender?" 
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2011, 06:34:44 EDT »

They aren't invincible though.  Florida was moving the ball through the air before Brantley got hurt.

They aren't invincible but Tennessee isn't beating them. Florida was a lot better than us in the lines. Bama is a lot better than Florida in the lines. You do the math. 

BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2011, 07:48:49 EDT »

Sure, I would like to see a rematch. It would be an enjoyable game. And it would probably be a better matchup than a team from some other conference playing Alabama. But I think if LSU has already had their shot (or vice versa, assuming the outcome of that game is reversed), another team should get the opportunity to show what they're made of against the SEC's best.

I'm just not a big fan of rematches in NC games, although I would obviously enjoy watching it.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2011, 08:08:23 EDT »

Sure, I would like to see a rematch. It would be an enjoyable game. And it would probably be a better matchup than a team from some other conference playing Alabama. But I think if LSU has already had their shot (or vice versa, assuming the outcome of that game is reversed), another team should get the opportunity to show what they're made of against the SEC's best.

I'm just not a big fan of rematches in NC games, although I would obviously enjoy watching it.

Generally, I agree.  I don't usually like rematches either.  I remember 2006 when a lot of people were clamoring for an OSU/Michigan rematch in the title game.  I didn't agree with that, because there were other options, and the Big 10 hadn't proven that it deserved that kind of respect.  Fast forward five years, and the SEC absolutely has.  Let's say that Bama and LSU emerge from the regular season with only one loss between them (one to the other).  You'll have a Bama team that has won at Penn State, at Florida, at Auburn, and home games against UT and Arkansas.  LSU will have won at WVU, at UT, at a neutral site vs. Oregon, and home games vs. Florida, Auburn, and Arkansas.  How can you possibly justify excluding one of them in favor of a Wisconsin, whose toughest game will likely be at Michigan State?  Or Oklahoma, who basically plays a two game schedule (TU and FSU)?   Or Boise, whose biggest win by far would be over an SEC also-ran?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 08:10:21 EDT by Black Diamond Vol » Logged

BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2011, 09:04:43 EDT »

Generally, I agree.  I don't usually like rematches either.  I remember 2006 when a lot of people were clamoring for an OSU/Michigan rematch in the title game.  I didn't agree with that, because there were other options, and the Big 10 hadn't proven that it deserved that kind of respect.  Fast forward five years, and the SEC absolutely has.  Let's say that Bama and LSU emerge from the regular season with only one loss between them (one to the other).  You'll have a Bama team that has won at Penn State, at Florida, at Auburn, and home games against UT and Arkansas.  LSU will have won at WVU, at UT, at a neutral site vs. Oregon, and home games vs. Florida, Auburn, and Arkansas.  How can you possibly justify excluding one of them in favor of a Wisconsin, whose toughest game will likely be at Michigan State?  Or Oklahoma, who basically plays a two game schedule (TU and FSU)?   Or Boise, whose biggest win by far would be over an SEC also-ran?

I'm not going to cry if we wind up with an all-SEC BCGNCG. But I think it's hard to argue with putting a one-loss team in the NC game ahead of an undefeated team, especially when that one-loss team has already been beaten by the team already in the NC game.

Personally, I would enjoy seeing how Boise State can stack up against  Alabama if they can make it through the regular season undefeated.
Black Diamond Vol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2011, 09:54:24 EDT »

I've spent a lot of time here standing up for teams that got screwed by the BCS; teams like Auburn, Utah, Boise, and TCU.  The system sucks, and in a perfect world we'd put them all in a 16 team tourney and see how it shakes out.  But the BCS's stated goal is to identify the top two teams in America and pit them against each other.  And this season, Stevie Wonder could pick those two teams out of a lineup. 

BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2011, 11:02:51 EDT »

I've spent a lot of time here standing up for teams that got screwed by the BCS; teams like Auburn, Utah, Boise, and TCU.  The system sucks, and in a perfect world we'd put them all in a 16 team tourney and see how it shakes out.  But the BCS's stated goal is to identify the top two teams in America and pit them against each other.  And this season, Stevie Wonder could pick those two teams out of a lineup. 

I guess where I disagree most (besides a 16-team playoff being the result of a "perfect world," as I think that would be far from perfect) is that I'm not convinced LSU is so clearly one of the best two teams in America. I think they're very good. And I think they have the best defense in America. But I also think when they come to Neyland Stadium in two weeks that we're going to see a very close football game.

On a completely unrelated note, it makes me angry every time I watch this John Chavis defense play. To think that he had as much or more talent at his disposal many of his years at UT (especially prior to 2002 or so) and rarely had a defense this good (1998 is probably the lone exception)...I guess that's more on Fulmer than on Chavis but you can't help but wonder about what might have been...
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2011, 06:28:42 EDT »

If Michigan didn't deserve it in 2006, then bammer/LSU don't deserve it this year. 

No one expected Florida to crush OSU in 2006 either.  Yes, the SEC has won 5 in a row and looks invincible...and they will be, right up until another conference wins.  Hence, the other conferences deserve a shot.

And looking back on it, the OSU 2006 loss was one-sided.  OU actually hung with the gators pretty well in 2008, IMO.   If McCoy is not hurt in 2009, maybe Texas takes bammer.  Last year's game with Oregon was the closest of the bunch.  This may well be the year the streak is broken.  Or not.  But the only way to find out is to play the game.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2011, 05:08:15 EDT »

You can't count out Oklahoma yet,I'd like to see the Sooners play either LSU or Alabama

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
Quasi EVol
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2011, 01:25:03 EDT »

You can't count out Oklahoma yet,I'd like to see the Sooners play either LSU or Alabama

Bob Stoops eats his corn flakes from a plate because if they were in a bowl he'd choke.
EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2011, 01:36:45 EDT »

Sooners....LOL Seriously.....Alabama and LSU would both spank the Sooner Schooner back into 1999........

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2011, 01:43:06 EDT »

Sooners....LOL Seriously.....Alabama and LSU would both spank the Sooner Schooner back into 1999........

Maybe, maybe not.  Play it on the field and see.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: