VTTW Board Index
March 29, 2024, 10:02:40 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Weekend observations and bullet points  (Read 4298 times)
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 03, 2011, 02:10:52 EDT »

- Vols have a pretty creative offensive coordinator
- Bama's defense looks like it should be playing in the NFL
- Either the Bama S&C program is ridiculously better than everyone else, or else there's some juicing going on
- Georgia can look good one play and horrible the next
- I may have underestimated Auburn and overestimated SC. The latter team seems to be getting worse
- Tyler Bray is the best QB and pure passer in the SEC. Sorry Aaron Murray fans.
- Vol WR corps should be sick sick sick in 2012.
- Need to continue feeding Devrin Young the ball. He looks quick, fast, and yes made a mistake but he can be a playmaker
-  Arnett looks like a quicker version of Gerald Jones
- Best three teams I have seen all year are Bama, LSU, and Wisconsin. Clemson is also playing well.
- Vols DL is actually playing well this yr. The LB corps need to catch up and when they do, this will be a strong front 7. Not there yet
- I predicted 9-3 this year, still think we have a shot at getting there.
- We have a better chance to beat LSU than people think.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 03:25:07 EDT »

- Vols have a pretty creative offensive coordinator
- Bama's defense looks like it should be playing in the NFL
- Either the Bama S&C program is ridiculously better than everyone else, or else there's some juicing going on
- Georgia can look good one play and horrible the next
- I may have underestimated Auburn and overestimated SC. The latter team seems to be getting worse
- Tyler Bray is the best QB and pure passer in the SEC. Sorry Aaron Murray fans.
- Vol WR corps should be sick sick sick in 2012.
- Need to continue feeding Devrin Young the ball. He looks quick, fast, and yes made a mistake but he can be a playmaker
-  Arnett looks like a quicker version of Gerald Jones
- Best three teams I have seen all year are Bama, LSU, and Wisconsin. Clemson is also playing well.
- Vols DL is actually playing well this yr. The LB corps need to catch up and when they do, this will be a strong front 7. Not there yet
- I predicted 9-3 this year, still think we have a shot at getting there.
- We have a better chance to beat LSU than people think.
Arnett is still very limited route wise.  However, he showed some creativity Saturday, his 2nd TD being one of them.  He worked to get open and was rewarded.
Young is very, very quick.  He was lost relative to formations and I knew he was getting the the ball when he lined up on offense (he was antsy) but yeah, Chenney is going to get him the ball.  He does need to learn to tuck the ball in though, he was carrying it like a loaf of bread.
BTW, we used the bunch L/R formation a LOT Saturday (the formation that NEal ran the sweap for a TD from).  There are a lot of things we can do with that formation both running and passing.  We ran a lot of cross buck type running plays from it Saturday. including having the FB be one of the bunch and using him to sweap in front of the TB on the opposite side, oh and twice we had Anderson crashing back inside from the WR position to add another blocker at the point of attack.
At LB I think that Maggitt had his best game Saturday, Vareen perhaps his worst of the year.  AJ Johnson is a force but is having presnap allignment issues a lot. 
Lanier played well at corner Saturday, look for him to continue starting, at least until the decsion is made that Randolph is the full time starter at FS. 
Brewer is missing far too many tackles, two very obvious ones Saturday.  Must be fixed. 

Saturday our secondary needs to be physical and shut down the pup receivers and to stop any breakout runs by Crowell.  We have the potential to make the pup offense very one demensional and if we do that they will struggle to score.  On offense, Bray and our receivers can and will score points.  24-10

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 04:04:16 EDT »

I think we score a lot more than 24. I think we score at least 34. I am not impressed with UGA's defense, and they just lost another LB to suspension.

Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 04:58:47 EDT »

Would not be surprised if bama was juicing. If there is a way to cheat bama will get  r dun.   
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 07:25:45 EDT »

Would not be surprised if bama was juicing. If there is a way to cheat bama will get  r dun.   

mega dittoes

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 07:28:18 EDT »

Right now Bray is the best QB in the SEC, period, end of discussion.

When is Lathers coming back?  That should really help us at the LB position.  Will he take the MLB slot and Johnson slides over to replace one of the frosh, or?

Uga is going to be a tough game and it will set the tone for the rest of the season.  We need to bring our A game.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 08:50:36 EDT »

Right now Bray is the best QB in the SEC, period, end of discussion.

When is Lathers coming back?  That should really help us at the LB position.  Will he take the MLB slot and Johnson slides over to replace one of the frosh, or?

Uga is going to be a tough game and it will set the tone for the rest of the season.  We need to bring our A game.

Lathers is due back sometime in October but he probably won't unseat anybody in the starting lineup. He won't be anywhere close to game shape.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 08:51:43 EDT »

Still "weeks" away according to Dooley

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 08:58:36 EDT »

IMO you won't see Lathers make much of a contribution this season. Maybe the bowl game

ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 10:16:01 EDT »

Still "weeks" away according to Dooley

"A couple of weeks out" per Dooley today.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 04:42:21 EDT »

"A couple of weeks out" per Dooley today.

That was the quote I saw that made me wonder.  I have to think he will at least add some immediate quality depth, something we sorely lack at that position.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: