VTTW Board Index
April 25, 2024, 01:08:10 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Predictions for UT-UGA  (Read 10230 times)
BigOrange Maniac
« on: October 06, 2011, 11:58:36 EDT »

I don't know if this is a "must win" game for Tennessee, but it sure would be nice to get one under our belts. There's been a lot of talk this week about Derek Dooley looking for a "signature" win. That's true, but I wouldn't consider this a signature win...unless maybe UT comes out and puts a hurting on the Dawgs to the tune of about 41-13. And maybe not then. This is a Georgia program that is in a state of disarray. The win last week was enough to make Georgia feel all warm and fuzzy about themselves, but it did little more than stop the bleeding. I expect some fight from the players, but if Tennessee can find a way to get up by a couple of scores, it wouldn't surprise me to see Georgia just lay down and die. Mark Richt is fighting for his job, but even the most devout Richt sympathizer must see the writing on the wall by now and realize that UGA isn't going to keep him for the long-term. It may not be this year, depending on how UGA finishes, but Richt's days in Athens are numbered. (He must have the most calloused butt in all of college football, because he's been on the hot seat longer than any coach since the term was invented.)

So, with that in mind, here are my thoughts about Saturday's game:

Georgia has some quality running backs, but Tennessee's secondary is good enough (and Georgia's passing game is bad enough) to make the Bulldogs one-dimensional. Florida was able to beat us by being one dimensional, but UGA doesn't have the speed to get around us on the corners like Florida did. I still think Tennessee's defense is underrated, therefore I don't see this being the shootout that a lot of fans on both sides think it will be. We're giving up at least one huge play per game because someone is busting on defense. That can't happen Saturday. It's a confidence booster for them and maybe a confidence killer for UT. That defense is still young and it wouldn't be hard if UGA goes up a score or two for the D to start thinking Florida all over again.

I don't think Georgia's defense can stop Tennessee's passing game, but it's imperative for Tennessee to be able to run the football to keep them honest. The last thing we need is for UGA to be able to focus solely on getting to the QB and covering Rogers without giving a rip about our running game. I think this is the game is DeAnthony Arnett's breakout game. I wouldn't be surprised to see him wind up with 6-7 catches and a couple of scores.

If everything goes right, I can see UT winning this one comfortably.

Also, what are the odds of any of these happening?

» Devrin Young returning a punt for a touchdown... Someone said earlier this week that if that happens, fans might storm the field and tear down the goalposts right then and there. I concur.

» Georgia blocking a punt... If Tennessee has another punt blocked, fans might also storm the field...but it won't be out of sheer joy.

» Barbara Dooley beats the shizzle out of some reporter... Did y'all catch the story of her busting in on an interview with Andrew Gribble and Dave Hooker? LOL. She let Gribble have it for saying the words "hot seat" and "Dooley" in the same sentence. "You've got mama's rile up now."  

» Marlon Brown loses his cool... From his comments this week, I think Brown desperately wants Tennessee fans to hate him. I predict he gets agitated when he figures out that 100,000 or so fans in Neyland Stadium don't give two craps about him, and does something to try to instigate that hatred.

» Barbara Dooley beats the shizzle out of Marlon Brown's grandmomma...
WoodstockVol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 12:07:54 EDT »

In a back and forth game similar to 1992,Tennessee stops a Georgia 2 point conversion and wins 35-34

Lets go Braves,win the National League East!

LETS GO VOLS,KICK SEC A&& IN 2013!!!
ReVOLver
Admins
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 12:13:38 EDT »

I think UGa has gotten better the last three weeks.

I don't know what to predict but my gut feeling right now isn't good.

"I think this is the most important non-important thing in the world." - Actor and Tennessee fan David Keith on Tennessee football
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 01:19:44 EDT »

Its going to be a tough game.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 01:29:42 EDT »

On paper, these two teams are evenly matched. This game should be very close. And given Derek Dooley's luck, I sure wouldn't bet on the Vols.

But how many times in this series have we seen two evenly matched teams play a game that wound up being lopsided...the last two years being just the two latest examples.
droner
Heisman

The Internet's Finest Poster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 01:54:34 EDT »

I'm with ReVOLver. I'm not confident about this one at all.

I give the Vols 3 for playing at home.    27  UGA  24
ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

Time is best spent with family and friends.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 02:23:06 EDT »

UT 35
UGA 24

If Bray has time he can pick the Dawgs apart...........................................he picked Florida pretty good, and they have a much better D than the Dawgs

Go Big Orange.
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 02:58:30 EDT »

As usual we are at a talent disadvantage against an SEC team. Not as pronounced as last year but a disadvantage nonetheless. I hoping for a big win but I have no real confidence we will do it because we haven't done it lately. It all sets up nicely for an upset though. At home, at night with a hot qb anything can happen.

Vols 31-27
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 04:26:21 EDT »

I think it's a coin toss.  Just depends on which way the ball bounces and which team gets the breaks and is able to gain momentum.
Ridge Runner
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2011, 03:02:06 EDT »

I concur with Revolver. UGA has improved noticeably over the first two games. Hell, they really should have beat South Carolina, but  basically gave the game away. But we usually play UGA very well in Knoxville, so I'll go 28-21 Vols.
MIAUTIGER
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 03:17:04 EDT »

Ya'll - 31
Damn Dirty Dawgs - 30

Bammer suxes! That is all!
EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2011, 04:23:27 EDT »

Pain lots and lots of Pain........oh wait we weren't talking about eating at McDonalds nevermind......

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

EmerilVOL
Heisman

Its Tailgating Time in Tennessee (AGAIN)!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2011, 04:24:31 EDT »

I think UGa has gotten better the last three weeks.

I don't know what to predict but my gut feeling right now isn't good.

Stop Drinking now.....

I made this post and I approved it.
EmerilVOL

RIPLEYVOL
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2011, 05:21:00 EDT »

VOLS by 2 scores!!!!!
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2011, 07:26:35 EDT »

Doubting Thomases.

WWFDT.
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2011, 09:12:49 EDT »

WTH? Vinnie isn't predicting a 14 point loss?

MIAUTIGER
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2011, 09:37:09 EDT »

WTH? Vinnie isn't predicting a 14 point loss?

Uh-oh.  You guys might be doomed after all.

Bammer suxes! That is all!
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2011, 09:42:40 EDT »

It's prolly the kiss of death, but I say we win 28-20.
crockettman
Starter

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2011, 03:49:16 EDT »

Vols win 27-17 
CobbWebb
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2011, 05:39:00 EDT »

We give up too many big plays to be able to predict a game such as this. Their running back is a threat and they have that dude that was cleared from the Miami scandal. Both of those guys can change the game in a flash. Who knows what will happen? They could fall apart and we win by a couple of touchdowns or they might light us up.
PirateVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2011, 11:38:00 EDT »

Pain, lots of pain ...
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/C-hqGroNreE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/C-hqGroNreE</a>

All men dream: but not equally.
Those who Dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds
Wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the
Dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they
May act their dream with open eyes, to make it Possible.
This I did.
—T. E. Lawrence,
The Seven Pillars of Wisdom
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." - David Hackworth

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet"
General James "Mad Dog" Mattis
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: