VTTW Board Index
April 25, 2024, 04:24:00 EDT *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Game and TV Information - Next football game: Tennessee at Missouri, November 11, 2023, 3:30 p.m. ET, CBS. Go Big Orange!

Message Board Links - Wayne and Hobbes' Auburn Board, Mudlizard's Vitual Swamp

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dooley "Squarely On Hot Seat", according to Clay  (Read 21917 times)
VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« on: October 10, 2011, 12:26:00 EDT »

I know, I know..  but if you'll set aside the title aimed at getting attention, the article is quite sobering.  While I don't believe at all that he actually is on the hot seat or should be, you have to admit that you can't answer the question Clay poses:

If Derek Dooley and Tennessee can't beat either rival SEC East team now or even run for positive offensive yardage, why should anyone believe that Tennessee is going to beat Georgia or Florida when both teams are better?

"...but the SEC East teams that are beating Tennessee are young too. News flash, Georgia and Florida are bad this year. Do you know what year the running back is who gouged you? Freshman. Do you know what year the wide receiver is who your corners couldn't cover? Freshman."

http://outkickthecoverage.com/derek-dooley-squarely-on-hot-seat-even-if-his-momma-doesnt-like-it.php
murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 01:23:52 EDT »

When Clay isn't being a perv he has some pretty good stuff, but I look to certain people for certain types of advice. My sister is great with languages, but is no help whatsoever with automotive wisdom. Dad excels there, but isn't the greatest source of financial expertise.

When Clay writes about conference expansion he gets it, but when it comes to football he rides whatever emotional wave has just rolled through. This is entertaining, but leads to cherry-picking stats that bolster his "things are great" or "the sky is falling" view. He's rarely middle of the road on anything. Three fifths of UGA's OL starters are seniors and the DL started a senior, junior and redshirt sophomore (source below).

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/geo/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2011-12/release/release_20111003aaa.pdf

You can plug in young skill position players when there's experience up front. There are areas where UT can improve, but I'm still in wait and see mode. It's early to lop of 'eads.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 05:23:00 EDT by murfvol » Logged

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 05:21:50 EDT »

When Clay isn't being a perv he has some pretty good stuff, but I look to certain people for certain types of advice. My sister is great with languages, but is no help whatsoever with automotive wisdom. Dad excels there, but isn't the greatest source of financial expertise.

When Clay writes about conference expansion he gets it, but when it comes to football he rides whatever emotional wave has just rolled through. This is entertaining, but leads to cherry-picking stats that bolster his "things are great" or "the sky is falling" view. He's rarely middle of the road on anything. Three fifths of UGA's OL starters are seniors and the DL started a senior, junior and redshirt sophomore (source below).

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/geo/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2011-12/release/release_20111003aaa.pdf

You can plug is young skill position players when there's experience up front. There are areas where UT can improve, but I'm still in wait and see mode. It's early to lop of 'eads.

Dead on.  Skill players, particularly running backs, don't really need experience.  They either have it or not.  Jamal Lewis had a hell of a freshman year.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 06:28:36 EDT »

Dead on.  Skill players, particularly running backs, don't really need experience.  They either have it or not.  Jamal Lewis had a hell of a freshman year.

we don't have one of that caliber. We have three guys with high level SEC skill on offense. D Rogers, Rivera, and Bray. Hunter as well, but he is gone. I guess so is Bray for 6 weeks now. Lane shows promise, but I am not sure about him yet.

It's depressing, but we're 2 years away from fielding a high level SEC team. I thought maybe 2012, and we will be better in 2012, but not high level SEC
bUTros bUTros-VOLlie
Special Teamer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 08:16:09 EDT »

Clay needs some facts about football and coaching at the University of Tennessee. There is no quick fix. Clay, read this and learn something:
 http://www.rockytoptalk.com/2011/10/9/2480087/game-expectations-and-results-an-unnecessary-defense-of-dooley

Hot seat my sore a$$.

Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their Orange. - Qwerty Vol Underwood
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 09:16:22 EDT »

we don't have one of that caliber. We have three guys with high level SEC skill on offense. D Rogers, Rivera, and Bray. Hunter as well, but he is gone. I guess so is Bray for 6 weeks now. Lane shows promise, but I am not sure about him yet.

It's depressing, but we're 2 years away from fielding a high level SEC team. I thought maybe 2012, and we will be better in 2012, but not high level SEC

No shizzle, but the point is that Georgia has better lines than us, not that its such a big deal that Crowell is a frosh.  He is not that impressive anyway.

"The speed of our movements is amazing, even to me, and must be a constant source of surprise to the Germans.”  G. Patton
BigOrange Maniac
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 01:27:27 EDT »

Clay is an idiot. And why is he talking about the running back who "gouged" us? Crowell had 58 yards on 19 carries. That was actually one of UT's strong points Saturday. 
Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 02:18:59 EDT »

No shizzle, but the point is that Georgia has better lines than us, not that its such a big deal that Crowell is a frosh.  He is not that impressive anyway.

he's better than anything we have. And he is a true FR. We need a game changing back, period. Our running game issues are NOT just the OL. It's the OL, schemes, and RBs. And Georgia should not have better lines than us, they have less depth on the OL this year, and if you look at rankings, our OL should be really good, especially by next year.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 02:36:47 EDT »

My fear is it's always going to be "next year".  I know we all knew this was a rebuilding project.. But dang, when are we gonna start winning a big SEC game here and there?
RockinGrannyVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2011, 03:22:15 EDT »

Come on guys!!  Everyone here...and I think EVERYONE...said it was a MINIMUM of 3 years for Dooley to begin to be really competative....and it will be.   Probably 4 to be competing for the East.   Really now...hot seat??? I think not...not yet.  In 2 year, if he's not competitive, then yes...he'll be on the hot seat.  But everything his Momma said -- even if she was his Momma....was absolutely true.  Clay is an idiot!

Volznut
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2011, 03:37:12 EDT »

My fear is it's always going to be "next year".  I know we all knew this was a rebuilding project.. But dang, when are we gonna start winning a big SEC game here and there?

It won't be this year. Not with no bray, Hunter, JJ, Lathers, and zero running game

murfvol
All-SEC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2011, 03:39:54 EDT »

"Next year" talk gets old, but at times it has merit.
1) This year we seriously upgraded QB play (until the injury), the OL (experience and strength-wise), RB (still not there, but upgraded) and WRs are in good shape considering our deep threat is hurt and Moore and Jones have departed. That's progress.

2) The cupboard was bare all across the D. Hood is working hard and we're starting to get something out of the young guys.

Considering we had around 70 guys on scholarship last year, many not SEC-caliber, and I think we're tracking o.k. So long as controllable improvement (injuries won't be counted against the staff) I'm good.

Oh yeah, Devrin Young should definitely be counted in the progress category. I think the staff does a good job recruiting so that makes me think there's hope to get better.

"The more the words, the less the meaning, and how does that profit anyone?" - Ecclesiastes 6:11
Inspector Vol
All-American

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2011, 03:49:03 EDT »

As disgusted as I am, I dont think Dooley is on the hot seat. My biggest gripe with the coaching is the run game and it being way worse than last year but I don't know how much of that is their fault.   
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2011, 04:24:20 EDT »

he's better than anything we have. And he is a true FR. We need a game changing back, period. Our running game issues are NOT just the OL. It's the OL, schemes, and RBs. And Georgia should not have better lines than us, they have less depth on the OL this year, and if you look at rankings, our OL should be really good, especially by next year.

I don't disagree at all that we could or should have better running backs.  More on that in a moment.  Georgia has 3 senior OL and we have none.  So how about I say they have a more experienced line?  Clay's point is that Georgia is just as young as us.  I disagree.  Their OL is loaded with vets and ours is still kind of green.

As for the young running back stud, I dont disagree at all that we need one, and in a big way.

Which brings up an interesting question...did Oku get a fair shot?  Why was he dropped to third in the rotation immediately?   Because I don't really think those guys that were ahead of him have got it done.

I can think of a couple of reasons, but I would like to have him around still.

But you are right, we need a stud RB.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2011, 04:28:04 EDT »

Clay still makes some valid points.  If we can't beat UF and UGA now, then when?  UGA's coaching situation is still in limbo.. But UF is going to get better, not worse.

And I don't see us outrecruiting them.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2011, 04:35:00 EDT »

Clay still makes some valid points.  If we can't beat UF and UGA now, then when?  UGA's coaching situation is still in limbo.. But UF is going to get better, not worse.

Is Richt really gone?  I don't think so. I think uga wins the East.   Their only tough remaining game in the SEC is Florida, and that is going to be a function of whether Brantley is back or not.  So he goes to the SECCG and they fire him?  I don't think so.

As for Muschamp, are you serious?  I actually agree with Barbara Dooley on this one.  UF is simply loaded with 4 and 5 star talent and he has yet to do squat with it.   I am not sure Meyer was ever out of the top 5 in recruiting.   I was wondering how Muschamp would turn out.  I am not impressed so far.   And what about the constant blowups on the sideline and (perhaps related) lack of discipline (ie penalties) by his team?

I am not worried about Georgia or Florida, but I am worried about Tennessee.  We need to step up recruiting and further develop our players.  Hey recruiting news HAS been good lately.   And last year we lost to this same team 41-14, and Murray was a true frosh.   It's not as bad as it seems.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2011, 04:42:19 EDT »

I forgot that uga still plays Auburn.  That will be a tough one, but from what I have seen they can win it.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2011, 04:54:18 EDT »

Muschamp is having to try and run his pro style scheme with Meyer's spread players.  I maintain they will get better, not worse.  And to be honest I don't think his sideline blowups have to do with anything.  That's just Muschamp.. Always has been.
Jethro
Heisman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2011, 06:22:03 EDT »

Come on guys!!  Everyone here...and I think EVERYONE...said it was a MINIMUM of 3 years for Dooley to begin to be really competative....and it will be.   Probably 4 to be competing for the East.   Really now...hot seat??? I think not...not yet.  In 2 year, if he's not competitive, then yes...he'll be on the hot seat.  But everything his Momma said -- even if she was his Momma....was absolutely true.  Clay is an idiot!

Clay is a Finebaum wannabe
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2011, 06:31:12 EDT »

Muschamp is having to try and run his pro style scheme with Meyer's spread players.  I maintain they will get better, not worse.  And to be honest I don't think his sideline blowups have to do with anything.  That's just Muschamp.. Always has been.

You haven't been tracking their penalties.

You may be right.  My oldest UT buddy, the guy I went to the bammer games in 1989 and 1995 with, says that Meyer needs to get rid of the "pinball" players like Rainey and Demps and get some power running backs.

But isn't Muschamp a defensive genius?  Isn't the two-deep gator D just loaded with studs?  And LSU hangs 41 on them?  Really?  LSU?  Sorry, I think he suxes.  It is early though....

But for the record, here are the starting UF DLs and their Phil Steele recruiting ranks:

Jaye Howard #23
Dominique Easley # 6
Sharrif Floyd # #3

Then in the two deep, among others, are William Green #5, and Omar Hunter #6

That s for the pure DLs.  The hybrid LB/DE "buck" position is:

Ronald Powell #5

Backing him up?  Chris Martin #4.

I am now going to post rush yards allowed in a separate email because I am over-running the buffer.

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2011, 06:41:49 EDT »

Bammer ran for 226
LSU ran for 238

Now...I know that LSU and bammer have two of the best, if not THE best power rush games in the country.  But should they be able to run over all that UF talent like that?  Does Muschamp not have a rep as a defensive genius?  And now my final question...did you see how the Texas D did last year?

I feel very good about our chances vs. Florida in the near future.  In fact, we get them at home next year with a fully loaded offense (I hope), a defense that I see improvement in every week, and no Brantley (have you seen his backups?  Have you?   ).

I LOVE me some Muschamp....in a manly way of course.   

Disclaimer...it is early.  But DUDE...me likey!   

PS  If you have time, look up how penalized UF is as well.  If that ain't coachin' what is?

BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2011, 07:14:08 EDT »

I can't resist one final note.  How did the spread-offensive "genius" Meyer (or was it Mullins?) do with Chris Leake as QB?  In fairness, the main problem with the gator offense is that Brantley is hurt.  But I think he looked weak anyway.

ChattanoogaVol
All-SEC

Time is best spent with family and friends.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2011, 02:25:48 EDT »

Clay still makes some valid points.  If we can't beat UF and UGA now, then when?  UGA's coaching situation is still in limbo.. But UF is going to get better, not worse.

I agree 100%...................and I drink the orange kool-aid............................this game was like a kick in the balls to the thought that we are improving............I'm tired of We will be better next year................... we cannot beat a decent SEC team......................all we can do is beat up on weak non conference teams......................If Murray was a good QB they would have hit on 5 of the 6 wide open post routes.................they had our DB's smoked.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 02:27:22 EDT by ChattanoogaVol » Logged

Go Big Orange.
BanditVol
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2011, 02:33:37 EDT »

............................this game was like a kick in the balls to the thought that we are improving........

>>Yeah it was only 41-14 last year and we could only improve to 20-12.       And memo to BDV....Not fumbling punts?  That's called an improvement.  Its part of the game too.   <<

If Murray was a good QB they would have hit on 5 of the 6 wide open post routes.........

>>Um, Murray is generally considered the second best QB in the league...after Bray.  Name who you think is better?  Maybe Garcia?  Oh wait, he's benched.   The Arkansas QB?  The kid at LSU?  Regardless, Murray doesn't suck.  I do agree he could have hit a few more though.<<

........they had our DB's smoked.

>>no argument here.  Like I said elsewhere, bobo obviously spotted a chink in our D and exploited it.  I would guess he put them in a formation to draw our safety in and then throw the long strike.  We did finally adjust to it.<<<

Wow,  I didn't know it was possible to almost completely disagree.  But see above.

VinnieVOL
Heisman

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2011, 02:47:17 EDT »

Let me just say that I don't call losing to a team by less points improvement.  That means we theoretically have 7 more years of potential improvement against UGA.

We just see things differently and that's ok, but imho losing is losing.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: